Best Map for Desert Setting

Viralvoid

Warlord
Hello, since I've started playing Vox Populi, I really wanted to roleplay civ on different settings :lol:, but failed to do a desert one. In communitas map, I could play polynesia with a beautiful archipelago to settle. What is the best map that could provide me such settings which has a large lump of desert, flood plains and oasis.

I tried playing on communitas map with arid and hot, wet and hot, but I can't :(:(

Im not good with editing the map with idk codes, but ill still try lol.
:egypt::egypt:

what exactly are you looking for?
- a map with only desert? maybe look for a premade one, like egypt.
- or a more normal map (with jungle and colder zones), but which happens to have vast deserts? try tectonic map script on arid, hot, slow plate speed. depending on your luck you wil be spawned into a desert region after some tries. and there, deserts are usually quite huge.

keep in mind, VP is better balanced for more variety oriented maps, so your gameplay might not be at peak quality.

anyway, good luck and welcome to VP!

what exactly are you looking for?
- or a more normal map (with jungle and colder zones), but which happens to have vast deserts? try tectonic map script on arid, hot, slow plate speed. depending on your luck you wil be spawned into a desert region after some tries. and there, deserts are usually quite huge.

Weird. I couldn't find the option for temperature and plate speed.

I'll try it, I've been experimenting with tectonic, and It was too random.... And I just left my game with Inca because those majestic mountain ranges helped me snowball, lol. I hate snowballing.

Yet, the yield I wanted for desert setting was not achieved. But I enjoyed exploring different map scripts. For a normal game, My preference is still communitas (so far :D)

Give PerfectWorld3 a try.
I used Planetsimulator and tectonic, for Multiplayer game, but both failed to give me the same organic, diversed maps I love from PerfectWorld3. There is normally alot more desert than in standard maps, and I didnt have changed anything in the setting to it.
It isnt possible for Multiplayer, but best Mapscript i tried so far.

Yeah, this is possible, and I didnt noticed this feature till my new to this game mate done this while I was discussing the setting for our next map.
I saved a PerfectWorld3 map Iam currently playing on, cause it looked really great. But I didnt knew, its also saving the actual ressources. We 3 started the game and my first settler started in a spot with salt, marmor and 2 indonesian luxuries. It was the same spot, indonesia started in the previos game. And I got 4 luxuries in my first city. :)
6 of 8 players started at the exact same position, the 2 other only few tiles away. City states were relative randomly. So, its possible, but using legendary start will lead to very similar starting positio s in every game.

I use PerfectWorld myself and tune the settings to my liking. You can get a great variety of good maps with it but you have to work with a number of obscure settings in the main LUA file to do so, which makes PW inaccessible to new users. Anyway, I tweaked some settings to make a hot, arid world with large deserts. Uploading screenshots of first 5 standard size maps generated with the script + the maps if you just like to play one of them straight up. If you like the look of it, you can download PerfectWorld and then replace the default PerfectWorld3.lua with my tweaked "desert world" version which I'll provide in the following post.

Screenshots:

PW_desert_world_1.jpg PW_desert_world_2.jpg PW_desert_world_3.jpg PW_desert_world_4.jpg PW_desert_world_5.jpg

Attachments

• PW_desert_world_1.Civ5Map
    76 KB · Views: 71
  • PW_desert_world_2.Civ5Map
    76 KB · Views: 59
  • PW_desert_world_3.Civ5Map
    76 KB · Views: 53
  • PW_desert_world_4.Civ5Map
    76 KB · Views: 51
  • PW_desert_world_5.Civ5Map
    76 KB · Views: 52
It's not quite Arrakis (aka Dune) but still mostly a hot, dry world...

(Had to zip it because .lua is not an allowed extension for uploading here)

Attachments

• PerfectWorld3_Desert_World.zip
    18.3 KB · Views: 99
It would be interesting to see a dry, cold map with similar layout but with [snow tundra]. I don't know how to tweak map script lua however :cry:

It would be interesting to see a dry, cold map with similar layout but with [snow tundra]. I don't know how to tweak map script lua however :cry:

I had a go at this with PerfectWorld:

PW_ice_age_1.jpg PW_ice_age_2.jpg PW_ice_age_3.jpg PW_ice_age_4.jpg PW_ice_age_5.jpg

I lowered the sea level for this script (dry land up from 28% to 33%). For some reason it's got rivers in the snow terrain, which I find questionable - it might be best to just have more tundra and less snow. Don't know if these would be fun to play - they'd probably have lots of barbarians for those who like that.

I can post the script if you're interested.

I lowered the sea level for this script (dry land up from 28% to 33%). For some reason it's got rivers in the snow terrain, which I find questionable - it might be best to just have more tundra and less snow. Don't know if these would be fun to play - they'd probably have lots of barbarians for those who like that
Interesting that it focuses still the snow on the caps. Is your avatar of a snowflake?

Interesting that it focuses still the snow on the caps. Is your avatar of a snowflake?

PW has a temperature variable in its calculations and you can define the min or max temperature for specific terrain. So, to increase the snow and tundra I raised the max temperature allowed for each.

My avatar is a traditional Icelandic rune of power called the 'helm of awe' - a magic rune of protection (I'm from Iceland).

Planet Simulator is built on top of PerfectWorld3

I know and I tried it out with high hopes. However the maps it produces just aren't as pretty and realistic, so I prefer PW even though it's a lot harder to use.

Top Bottom