Best Map for Indonesia

Evie94

Warlord
is the only way to play Indonesia as an Archipelago?

i usually play Fractal but there's very few islands on Fractal, its basically a 50/50 split between Pangaea and Continents....so is the only way to actually play Indonesia in a way that benefits from its UA is to play on an Archipelago? or am i missing something?

I could see small continents.

Every normal continents map has a few spots on islands.

Although, in my opinion Polynesia is all about finding peninsulas because they make the Moai extremely powerful. They can be everywhere on the coast, even multiple times on the same landmass as your starting location. I mean small patches of land which reach into the ocean. That way you can surround a single tile with Moais and the center tile will generate 5-6 culture very early in the game.
That's what you wanna get. Settle cities at peninsulas, build Moais only when you can create a circle around a center tile and work every 4+ culture tile as long as your city keeps growing at a good pace.

What I wanna say here. Polynesia can work well on every normal map script that generates continents.

Fractal is possible, PerfecEarth mod is possible, Large Islands is possible, Continents Plus is possible

But I find the only three maps that ensure you great unique luxury resource island locations every single time is in this order (1) small continents, first because you are also more likely to be able to utilize your Kris Swordsman, and river city spots for your Candi are more common, (2) archipelago, (3) tiny islands

^Small continents in general I find to be a decent map. You are more likely to run into wars with neighbors and if you are actively pursuing war it's a nice blend of naval and land units

Any time I want to play a naval-focused civ like Indonesia, I pick small continents. I usually also put the sea level to low, this ensures theres plenty of islands and naval warfare but also enough space for your core 3-5 cities.

Every normal continents map has a few spots on islands.

Although, in my opinion Polynesia is all about finding peninsulas because they make the Moai extremely powerful. They can be everywhere on the coast, even multiple times on the same landmass as your starting location. I mean small patches of land which reach into the ocean. That way you can surround a single tile with Moais and the center tile will generate 5-6 culture very early in the game.
That's what you wanna get. Settle cities at peninsulas, build Moais only when you can create a circle around a center tile and work every 4+ culture tile as long as your city keeps growing at a good pace.

What I wanna say here. Polynesia can work well on every normal map script that generates continents.

I think he said INDOnesia :crazyeye:

I'd go with Large Islands or Small Continents. Probably Small Continents for UU usage.

I think he said INDOnesia :crazyeye:

I'd go with Large Islands or Small Continents. Probably Small Continents for UU usage.

Yep, I've just noticed this. Shame on me haha :)

I agree with others small continents seems like a solid map for indonesia because they dont rely so much on islands as they do separate bodies of land. As long as you can find three other bodies youll easily claim all your bonuses, also rivers tend to appear more on small continents it seems like. What controls river generation, sea level? Also has anyone else got a horrible start location as indonesia? I generated two games as them and in the first ended up in the middle of tundra and in the second i started on the jungle infested side of a peninsula while a mere 4 tiles to my right there were no less than 4 consecutive tiles which were WHEAT flood plains. AND it had no less than 4 different luxury resources within 2 tiles of the location i ended up choosing. Thank god i didnt take the original location it gave me, that spot wasnt even on a river! Why wouldnt it actually dump me in the awesome river delta like it should have?

sorry for bumping an old topic, but im trying to get a good game as indonesia with a good start. I reroll very often (yeah i know not everyone thinks highly of that), but i havent found a good start yet. All i want is that my two first cities (so capital included) are at least at a river or lake. And it would be nice that there are tiny islands, just large enough for one city nearby.

Ive tried archipelago and large islands. Are there any other map types i should try, or maybe adjust the settings?

sorry for bumping an old topic, but im trying to get a good game as indonesia with a good start. I reroll very often (yeah i know not everyone thinks highly of that), but i havent found a good start yet. All i want is that my two first cities (so capital included) are at least at a river or lake. And it would be nice that there are tiny islands, just large enough for one city nearby.

Ive tried archipelago and large islands. Are there any other map types i should try, or maybe adjust the settings?

You're probably thinking along the right lines; I'd try Archipelago with low sea levels. That should allow you to use the Kris Swordsman but also let you expand and get those extra luxuries.

I just got the impression that archipelago start islands are bigger than the large islands one, which is a bit counterintuitive. Or my memory is screwed up from the reloading

I tried my first ever game as Indonesia over the weekend. I picked Archipelago and as a result got to build 2 Candis (in my 4th and 5th cities). Ended up rage-quitting, despite investing the better part of two days on it. I must say I'm glad I went for Quick. I always find Archipelago so tedious. Small Continents may be the way forward.

Indonesia seems a major troll to me. Im swapping between large islands and archipelago, and almost every time when im scouting with my warrior and looking for a potential second city place (ive already given up the wish to have gardens in my second city), its just a barren wasteland with barely any resources, and surely no luxury resources to keep the happines up. And if there are, i usely discover a CS the next turn....

Indonesia is a great rexer. Forget about the UA at first and build four cities the usual way. Mid game when game you start rolling out around the world you will find islands. Or beachheads on other continents, and the extra happy resource makes the expansion nearly free.

Yeah, but the problem is there are no new luxuries near your start position, making even a second city tedious. Just spawned on an island which would house 3 cities perfectly, with lots of bananas. But only luxury resources were 7 gems and 1 silk... And its like that very often

It works great on Archipelago, but don't expect the Candi to be built very much. Any sea-based map is good, but I'd recommend Small Continents. It's pretty good on any map except Pangea or non-water maps, though.

It works great on Archipelago, but don't expect the Candi to be built very much. Any sea-based map is good, but I'd recommend Small Continents. It's pretty good on any map except Pangea or non-water maps, though.

Yeah finally managed a game of which i was satisfief with the startposition, did it on tiny islands though. Its so contraproductive. you have an enhanced garden, but maps most suitable for your UA wont provide any places for them...

I play on continents. When the AI is Indonesia there is always a nice string of islands nearby for them to play in, although I have yet to see the AI actually settle any islands as Indonesia. They also start right farking next to me 4/5ths of the time.

However when I play an Indonesia game, there's normally only one island near my starting location, so I wait till the Renaissance to use the UA. There are almost always some islands floating around in the mid-ocean somewhere.

Top Bottom