Best Metro Systems

hobbsyoyo

Deity
I feel like the consensus for the best metro transit systems is:
  • London
  • New York City
  • Tokyo

Are there other cities with top-tier metro systems? What makes a good metro transit system? What is your system like?

Also, how often are bus lines around various metro areas operated as a single entity? There are dozens of cities all within 60 miles of me that are part of the same metropolitan area yet have their own independent bus lines. At least with buses here, they mostly seem to take cash so you don't have to get separate payment cards, and/or accounts. But if any of them have apps, then those would likely be separate things.

The rail system in my metro area is broken up into at least 3* separate entities for whatever reason. There is Amtrack, which runs short to long distance routes with full-service trains (they have food on board, bathrooms and even cabins if you want) but only in a narrow corridor. There is the Metrolink system, which runs on short to medium routes out to the suburbs on trains with bathrooms but no food . Then there is the LA Metro system which runs short routes on light rail without bathrooms or food.

It actually makes sense that there are three rail services for the city because of the different markets they are targeting. The problem is that they are not integrated - they mostly don't show up on each other's maps, there is not a ton of overlap in the stations they service and they all have their own apps and payment services. It's kind of a mess to navigate. Are services split up like this in other cities?

*I think there actually may be some separate trolley services in parts of the metropolitian area that operate as their own thing but I'm not sure

Last edited:
I feel like a metro transit service is rated mostly on how good its last mile service is. People scoff at the LA system but it will take you 100 miles in any direction no problem, with decently frequent departure and arrival times as well. The county is huge and the rail service covers most of it. However, most of the service can only get you to a specific suburb city, not any particular neighborhoods within that suburb. So you have to figure out how to get to your final destination from the train which might be another 5 or 10 miles - and it may have been a bit of a journey to get to your starting station as well. Los Angeles proper does have neighborhood-level rail service in the urban core and even a bit outside of the city, but most of the population and land area of the metro area do not have this. All of the rail services allow for bikes to be carried on but that's not a workable solution for a lot of people. Bus service is pretty good all throughout the county, but because they're all separate systems, it makes trip planning pretty difficult and people just end up driving everywhere anyways.

It's my understanding that pretty much all of NYC and London are within walking distance of the subway system, which is awesome.

Hong Kong is fantastic. Absolutely 100% idiot proof, with constant guides, lights, easy to read maps, timeliness, cleanliness, every train stop has convenience stores, bathrooms, basically anything you could ever need to live off of. The buses are limited because so much trains but they're great too. IIRC CNN rated it the best in the world like a year ago and I am inclined to agree. Puts London and NYC to shame.

Is it monorail, subway, light rail, regular trains or a mix of all of the above? How good are non-flight connections to the rest of China?

Is it monorail, subway, light rail, regular trains or a mix of all of the above? How good are non-flight connections to the rest of China?

Subway, light rail, and high speed (so I guess basically everything). There are buses too but train stops are so frequent you almost never have to use them.The pay scheme is super easy and cheap and you basically just grab an Octopus Card and are set without having to think about it ever again. There are tourist passes too which are affordable and cover literally everything.

IIRC there are two connections via train to China, I never took them though.

LA Highway system!

Limp-tier ranking system in the OP. Silly, savage Americans.

Bow before our greatness.

https://www.translink.ca/About-Us/Media/2019/July/TransLink-awarded-Transit-System-of-the-Year.aspx

NEW WESTMINSTER, BC — TransLink has been awarded the 2019 Outstanding Public Transportation System Achievement Award by the American Public Transportation Association (APTA). This award is for the category representing the largest transportation systems in Canada and the United States: those providing 20 million or more annual passenger trips.

The award is based on a range of criteria including ridership growth, operational efficiency, maintenance initiatives, customer service, financial management, marketing and sustainability. APTA considered performance between 2016 and 2018, a period which saw TransLink experience ridership growth of 18 per cent while achieving record-highs in on-time performance.

Of the three mentioned, I've been to Tokyo. I would say that Chicago is on par with it.

Limp-tier ranking system in the OP. Silly, savage Americans.

Bow before our greatness.

https://www.translink.ca/About-Us/Media/2019/July/TransLink-awarded-Transit-System-of-the-Year.aspx
Is that a made up awared? Google says NYC's system has 1.7 billion passenger trips per year compared to Translink's 20 million.
Of the three mentioned, I've been to Tokyo. I would say that Chicago is on par with it.
I thought the L was kind of limited? I don't know I've never ridden it.

I don't know very much about transit systems, this is a whole new thing for me.

I was told that some people actually fly between St Louis and Chicago daily for their commute. I think that's insane but I guess if you're paid enough and/or the company pays for the flights it makes sense. I completely understand why someone would rather put up with a beastly commute like that in order to avoid moving. The flight is only about 50 minutes and I guess with TSA pre-check you don't have to spend very long in the airport waiting in lines most days. So maybe call it an hour and a half one-way commute? That's not that insane by LA standards :lol:

Is that a made up awared? Google says NYC's system has 1.7 billion passenger trips per year compared to Translink's 20 million.

The award is based on growth and efficiency, not total ridership.

Where are you getting 20 million from? In 2017 it was 406 million boardings and in 2018 it was 435 million. Our 99 line gets nearly 20 million trips by itself every year.

By metro, are you limiting to subway/rail? Your OP mentions buses. I thought you were referring to all public transit in a metro area.

About the "made up award": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Public_Transportation_Association

Where are you getting 20 million from?
I misread this line very badly:
those providing 20 million or more annual passenger trips.

For some reason I read that as 'Translink had 20 million passenger trips' and then thought the whole thing was like a sarcastic joke post on how bad Translink was. My bad.

Yeah I'm including buses. Really any mass transit is fine; we can talk about airports too. I feel like every 5th town around me has its own airport and the skies are congested with small planes in addition to the airlines. On the other hand, most of the rural towns I have lived in also had their own airports as well.

Its filthy, slow, crowded and extremely un-modern (many of the subway cars are about 50 years old iirc and I remember when some lines got the "new" gray/white ones, that was in 1999-2000)

Still nice to not have a car in the city but I definitely don't miss waiting on a hot/cold platform for delayed trains

I very much prefer in dense urban areas walking and biking.
Biking does not seem to be public transport, but to get a smooth high capacity you do need biking lanes.
It would also help when dressing codes in offices are freed from the current traditions-restrictions. Too many functions and setting "expect" employees to dress in bike unfriendly cloting and shoes. F*** the high heel cult in offices.

Chicago is good, just in the metro area though. The rail lines between Chicago and St. Louis are so bad that train speeds are really slow.
But in the metro area there are buses, the L, and then there's Metra for all the suburbs and it's overseen by the RTA so they're starting to get them more supporting each other. Not quite to a single pay, but they have phone apps to assist.
You can get almost everywhere. (expect limited coverage in the poor areas, of course)

Having multiple payments is not a huge deal but it is very frustrating that the maps for the various systems do not include each other in any real way here. And google maps has no idea what to do when trying to trip plan by rail or bus.

I work in Union Station and there are composite maps posted all through out, that make it look easy. ;)

I work in Union Station and there are composite maps posted all through out, that make it look easy. ;)
Not at our Union Station. :( Each service has its own map. The LA Metro maps don't always show all of their stations either; one map will be missing some stations on a line, and another map will have those stations but be missing others on the same line. I don't know if that's a normal thing for big metro line maps though..

Top Bottom