1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Metro Systems

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by hobbsyoyo, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

The DC metro ain't that bad, the main problem is that there is a large infrastructure maintenance debt which has gone unpaid because taxing rich people to pay for the thing is verboten, and of course the horrible hours of operation.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  2. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Do they basically only run 7am to 7pm or something?
    I have ridden the DC Metro before and it was nice. The underground station (maybe there's more than one, I didn't make extensive use of it) was pretty cool.

3. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Doctor of Funk

Tokyo's subway was probably the best I've used. Hong Kong has a good subway, and ferries and a funicular right downtown. I'm not sure how useful those are for everyday commuters trying to get to work, but as a tourist I thought they were a hoot. Paris, New York, Montreal and London all had pretty good subways. The suburban rail in Tokyo and Paris were both good too, but I didn't use either one as a commuter getting to work in the morning. The train from Paris' Gare St Lazare to Normandy was easy to use and I don't remember it being expensive or sketchy or anything. New York's subway can be crowded af and a little labyrinthine, but it takes you basically everywhere you'd ever want to go, and it's not sketchy like it was back in the day. Same for Paris, I think (someone gave me a lift to Versailles, and I can't remember if the subway goes out there). I think San Francisco finally extended their subway to the airport.

4. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

? What is that

5. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

not that bad:
    When I first moved to DC it went until like 3am on weekends, which was pretty kewl.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  6. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

The Tube isn't great, its extensive but overcrowded and dirty.
    The Tyne and Wear Metro is a much pleasanter service although it serves a smaller, less populous area.

tjs282 and hobbsyoyo like this.
  7. EgonSpengler

A funicular is a cable car with a high incline, with two tracks that balance against one another. So when one is going up, the other is going down, and then they reverse. The funicular in HK goes up to Victoria Peak, one of the city's touristy areas.

Spoiler :

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  8. downtown

downtown Crafternoon Delight

I've ridden most of the big metro systems in the US. I think pound for pound, Chicago's is the best. It's pretty affordable, has late-night options, and goes to *most* neighborhoods in the city. It isn't especially clean, doesn't have many great east/west options, and has big blind spots in the West and Southern parts of the city, but compared to similar cities, it's pretty great.

I lived in the DC area for several years and cannot say enough mean things about their Metro service. It is clean, but it's stupid expensive, has a complicated fare system (there's no flat rate, you pay by distance), and the years of deferred repairs means it never works. New York has reached a similar problem...the trains just dont work very well.

I've never been anywhere in Asia, but the trains I rode in Porto, Toronto and Montreal were nicer than anything I remember in the states. Mexico City reminded me a bit of New York, and not in a positive way.

9. GoodEnoughForMe

GoodEnoughForMe n.m.s.s.

I agree that Chicago's is the best the US has to offer, with the caveat that it is pretty racist. But it's cheap, convenient, reasonably easy to use, etc. Every time I or someone I know has had to use New York's, there's been closures or issues, flooding, late trains, etc. DC's could be good (it's clean and seems more up to date?), but it seemed pretty restrictive, and I remember leaving a baseball game that went a bit long and hearing they were extending train hours to help get fans home and was kind of dumbfounded that that is even a thing.

10. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Yeah it's always fun when both teams are in town and the Cubs play in the afternoon and the Sox play in the evening. The red line takes you straight from Wrigley to Guaranteed Rate Field (or whatever they're calling it these days) so they always schedule extra trains to handle the load of drunks.

11. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

The Bay Area Rapid Transit

1) we’re the loudest
    2) our robot voices are weird af
    3) the sound is so horrible it was used to make scary sounding noises in horror video games
    4) did I mention those scary noises are the loudest?
    5) it’s not that cheap so it takes in lots of money
    6) overcrowded so very popular
    7) bathrooms everywhere! Not in most stations, those are closed... but you can go in the corner of the train!
    8) smells very unique
    9) rare bacteria grow on the older seats
    10) it goes only to very special locations, chosen by racists!, and is too exclusive to expand unless you can afford a lot
    11) it’s so loud it causes permanent damage, for a lasting impression
    12) it’s slow so enjoy the experience more

Perfection, Lexicus and hobbsyoyo like this.
  12. uppi

uppi Deity

In Germany, there are usually multiple public transport operators in one metropolitan area, but those are members of one transport association in which they negotiate a common pricing model, numbering scheme, and matching timetables. So from the point of a passenger it doesn't matter from whom you buy your ticket and which lines you use. One first glance it looks like one operator, but if you look closer you will notice some differences (especially when there is a drivers' strike, it becomes very important which operator is actually affected)

In Munich there are 4 types of rail services (not counting long-distance): regional rail, suburban rail, subway and tram. There are multiple apps and other methods to buy tickets, but it doesn't matter which one you use. There isn't one map that shows all lines, mostly because of scale reasons (a regional map doesn't have enough space to cover all the inner-city bus lines). There are service-specific maps, but the most popular map shows all the heavy rail services (sometimes also including tram lines and express bus lines).

tjs282 and hobbsyoyo like this.
  13. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

The London system is excellent in getting people from place to place efficiently, but be prepared to climb stairs.
    Beijing has a great and easy to use system too. China's rail system is extensive and very easy to use and will get you to most places easily.

14. Truthy

Truthy Idle

Caltrain

1) Leisurely pace gives you plenty of time to reconsider whether you really want to visit San Francisco
    2) Convenient option for South Bay residents to learn rest of the world still exists
    3) The child in you loves the big old locomotives

hobbsyoyo and Hygro like this.
  15. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I thought about this but each service here has smaller maps that only cover the region of a specific line which is mostly empty (because each line doesn't have that many stops) and they could have easily included where the other rail services intersect their own on that line.

Although maybe there are not enough connections for them to care. Pretty much everything has to get funneled through Union Station as it is the central hub that all the spokes come off of. The spokes don't really connect to each other.

16. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Why are all big American train stations called Union station? Is there a story behind that? Are there equivalent names overseas?

Birdjaguar likes this.
  17. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

@hobbsyoyo The Union Pacific railroad was a one of the first and largest rail companies. Back in the day, each rail company had its own station in major cities. Union Station was the UP's station in each of its cities. The same was true for the Pennsylvania RR and the B&O in the east.

When I was growing up in Baltimore, we had a Penn Station and a B&O Station. When I went to Chicago on a train we left from the B&O and to go to NYC we left from Penn Station. Today, only the Penn Station remains and it is used by Amtrak for passenger service. When the B&O RR merged with CSX ~1970, my mother bought a bunch of B&O dining car silverware as a keepsake. I have some of that still.

The old B&O station was torn down and replaced with Camden Yards the Orioles Stadium. The B&O is one of the four RR found in Monopoly.

B&O = Baltimore and Ohio

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    rah and hobbsyoyo like this.
  18. EgonSpengler

Boston's two major rail terminals are imaginatively named North Station and South Station.

19. uppi

uppi Deity

The hub-and-spokes design has the advantage that it efficiently minimizes the need to switch lines, which is often painful. Some tangential lines can be very helpful, but if they're slow it is often better to go through the hub, anyway.

20. Arwon

Arwon

Most big European cities that I've been to are on par with each other - Barcelona, Madrid, Paris, Rome, London and Munich, and those were on par with New York and Washington DC. If there were big differences they weren't obvious to me as a visitor.