1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Metro Systems

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by hobbsyoyo, Dec 4, 2019.

1. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Chicago Metra also issues printed notices when late, to take to work.
    Though, I'm sure it happens more than it does in Japan.

2. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

Were talking about National public self flagellation for a 25 second delay.
    In Australia there would be national celebrations if delays were only 25 seconds.

3. Marla_Singer

Marla_Singer United in diversity

Paris is currently served by 16 fully independent metro lines operating each on their dedicated infrastructures (+3 airport shuttles). Those are complemented with 5 RER lines which offers a more express service to the suburbs. 8 additional classic suburban networks (starting from Paris main train stations) complete the heavy rail local network. There are also 10 tramway lines which have been opened, mostly in the suburbs in the last 20 years.

The network is currently under heavy investments. It is expected to double in size by 2030. This is more than just a public transit upgrade, it's a full development plan to improve the urban fabric of the Paris area. We have currently under construction:
    - 4 metro lines being extended
    - 4 new metro lines being created (to make a total of 20)
    - 1 RER line being extended westbound, to serve La Défense business district and beyond
    - 4 tramway lines being extended
    - 4 new tramway lines being created (to make a total of 14)

and the 3 airport shuttles (CDGVAL1, CDGVAL2 and Orlyval) are fully automated (GoA4). is currently at work to become fully automated as well.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  4. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Night Elven Ghost Agent

Versailles City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    I'm sort of biased towards the subway/metro system of Boston. Though it's largely it's simplicity and it includes a tram system (The Greenline) That go underground when you go into the city itself.

5. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

The speed gains of the high speed trains are prefect (and justified) for a country the size of Japan or France. It also makes perfect sense for a connection like San Francisco to LA but it looks like the California high speed rail project is failling apart.

I read about it this weekend and the proposed SF-LA route was fully funded out the outset but costs somehow spiraled out of control before ground was even broken. Newsom has cancelled a large chunk of it (the southern half) and Trump has been trying to kill the rest of it. It seems they set the minimum speeds quite high and instead of rising to the challenge, industry decided it was a good excuse to bilk the government for every mph they could squeeze out. I don't even get the impression that right of way for the full track length has been negotiated which isn't a good sign.

6. AdrienIer

AdrienIer Deity

I was going to praise the Paris transport system but Marla got there before me.
    You forgot the T8 extension though :)

7. red_elk

red_elk Deity

Hard to tell which one is the best, since none of us regularly used more than a few of them, I think.
    The Moscow system is pretty good, it's clean and safe, comparable to NYC metro by length but has more annual ridership than any other system in Europe and America.

And of course, this:

Hrothbern and hobbsyoyo like this.
  8. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

Real nice :)
    I was never there:
    I see no commercial advertisements on the walls of this picture
    Is that everywhere in the Moscow subway stations ?

red_elk likes this.
  9. red_elk

red_elk Deity

There are some ads in the trains and in passage hallways, usually on digital screens. But not in the stations.

(The small screens on top display relevant info and sometimes ads too)
    Spoiler :

Hrothbern likes this.
  10. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

How often do you use the system? Are you in
    Antony, Boulogne-Billancourt, or Nanterre?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  11. Marla_Singer

I currently live in Central Paris in an area which is quite well-served. As I've always lived in Paris, I've always used the metro. I started using the metro daily when I was 6 years old (with my mother), and I started using it on my own when I was 10 years old.

Nowadays, it's nearly impossible to drive in Central Paris. Car use is minimal in the city, parking a car is insanely expensive, so like most people in the center I don't own a car which is quite of a burden. That's one of the reason why I'm considering moving a bit further out (with the idea to live in a bigger place as well). I'll not go too far though as commuting time can become crazy.
    extension is only planned at this stage. I've mentionned only projects which were currently under construction (at the very least in preparation works).

If we start considering planned projets, there are many others like eastbound extension of and southbound extension of .

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    Birdjaguar likes this.
  12. Marla_Singer

hobbsyoyo, AdrienIer and Birdjaguar like this.
  13. Birdjaguar

@Marla_Singer Great video; it was more fun to watch than tonight's news!

EDIT: In London, when one part of the system had problems, I saw similar ebbs and flows passengers to compensate.

Marla_Singer likes this.
  14. Birdjaguar

@Marla_Singer Your English is good enough that I suspect you have sustained RL experience outside of France.

15. AdrienIer

AdrienIer Deity

True, but by virtue of being a tramway (and therefore easier to build) the T8 extension is expected to be over by 2024 which is sooner than many of the other extensions/new lines.

16. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

What big projects are your countries or cities working on?

Here, the Virgin Group wants to put a train in between Las Vegas and Los Angeles. I don't think it'll be high speed but it'll be better for driving for a lot of people.

17. luiz

luiz Trendy Revolutionary

Rich Asia generally has better metro systems than Europe, which in turn has better metro systems than the US.

Also, what is "best" is hard to define. Paris has a very comprehensive metro system, with stations every 1km or so, and pretty much the whole city is covered. And the trains run quite late and the intervals are tiny. BUT riding the metro in Paris, especially during rush hour, is a miserable experience. Way too crowded trains, passengers insulting each other, homeless people sleeping in the stations (and making their physiological necessities in loco)... In other words, it's very effective but it also sucks.

18. uppi

uppi Deity

The biggest project here is a new tunnel for a second trunk line for the rapid transit system (S-Bahn). It is supposed right under the city center, was discussed for 20 years, is now under construction and is supposed to be finished in 2028 at the earliest. And after that, they are already planning the first new subway tunnel under the city center in 40 years (target date: 2035-2040). The problem is that both tunnels are sorely needed right now and will likely be overcrowded the day they're opened.

Meanwhile they are discussing cable car lines as a quicker remedy for the traffic problems.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  19. red_elk

red_elk Deity

Planned Moscow-Kazan high-speed railway (772 km long, originally expected to be completed in 2023, but likely to be postponed)
    Kerch strait bridge, connecting Crimea and Russia mainland, 19-km long (considered the longest in Europe). The vehicle part is complete, the railway is almost done.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  20. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Amtrak is on track (no pun intended) to make its first profit ever next year. This year it only had a 30 million dollar deficit which is peanuts next to their budget. They hired the ex-CEO of Delta to turn it around and he's been successful so far. He has made some grumbles about cutting the long distance lines but would face resistance from Congress. Lol, I had no idea this was a thing but I just wrote my congresscritters to tell them not to let him make those cuts.

Here's a good, short video on Amtrak's turnaround. It turns out the Virgin LA-Vegas line will be high speed. Also there is a high speed line opening between Houston and Dallas FW in 2020 which is dope.

Birdjaguar likes this.