1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Best mod for slower pace

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Chronicles, May 10, 2018.

1. Chronicles

Chronicles Chieftain

Hi all,

I've been playing civilization ever since the first entry. I like my civ games to be long and I like to experience the different era's thoroughly. Ever since Civ4 I feel that 'normal' is way too fast. I played civ4 mostly on Marathon. Since the introduction of 1upt, production has been slower. That makes sense, but it also creates the problem that when playing marathon civ5 and 6 feel like there is too little to do. Civ6 is a bit faster than 5, but still.

I downloaded the mod extended era's mod which gives me 750 turns, slow research and civics, but fast production. This seemed great and I'm having a good time, but production seems to be a bit too fast. The AI swarms me with units and sometimes there is little else to build because the balance between research progression and production is off.

What is the best mod for a better game pace? Of all civ games, I feel civilization 3 had the best pace but maybe that's because I played that one the most. I have to note that I haven't tried a non modded game on epic, so maybe that should be the answer, but I love to hear suggestions.

2. Hakan-i Cihan

Hakan-i Cihan Emperor

What is the best mod for ...? The answer is quite subjective. But I use the 8 ages of pace mod. You can check out whether this is what you are looking for:
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1109505115

If you know to edit modfiles, you can edit the numbers in the modfile you downloaded to tweak it to your desire.

acluewithout and Olleus like this.
  3. Olleus

Olleus Deity

8 Ages of Pace is designed such that you will spend (roughly) equal number of turns in each era. It does this be keeping production the same while increasing tech/civics costs in the later eras (by a huge amount in the later eras). Therefore quick will still be faster epic speed, but the game won't "speed up" as the eras replace each other.

acluewithout, Bosque and Chronicles like this.
  4. Chronicles

Chronicles Chieftain

It sounds promising. Is it compatible with R&F?

5. Olleus

Olleus Deity

It works fine. However it hasn't been explicitly updated for R&F, some people have found golden ages to be a little too easy to get.

DISCLAIMER: I am the author of the mod :p

6. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

Works just find with R&F. It does make golden ages easier because everyone's tech pace is slowed, so the eras generally last longer.

8 ages of pace makes the pace about right for me.

7. Bosque

Bosque Warlord

I really enjoy your mod. It seems that the Great People don't disappear nearly so fast with the more slowly advancing eras.

I had noticed that I am almost always in a Golden Age, but hadn't attributed it to your mod. I really had to work hard to get into a Dark Age to get a couple of Achievements.

8. agonistes

agonistes wants his subs under ice!

I've had my eye on that mod. But I haven't used it. If it only changed the 'pacing,' I'd give it a whirl for sure. But the other changes are things I'm not interested in. Ideally I'd have 8 ages of pace at marathon, with a base x7 modifier, but no growth/border/road changes.

I use increased tech and culture, x2 and x5 for each, and run them together (they seem to stack) in marathon games. Obviously this slows the game down. Making scouts/slingers/warriors cost 1gpt maintenance helps as well.

If production is too slow, try x7 at epic speed, or even standard.

I guess you could just manually change the cost of all of the civics and techs.

edit: just to be clear, I think 8 Ages of Pace is a great mod and great idea. Just not exactly perfect for moi.

9. Chronicles

Chronicles Chieftain

Thanks all, I'll give the mod a go. It seems to be up my alley, especially the border growth. @Olleus: will it be updated for R&F and/or any future expansion?

10. Olleus

Olleus Deity

Yes, I've been meaning to do it for months now. However all my "gaming" time has been spent on making a brand new game completely from scratch. When I take a break from that and start playing Civ6 again I'll update the mod!

11. Chronicles

Chronicles Chieftain

Looking forward to it! Currently, due to the update, playing without any mods. On epic on which production is fine, but research still way too fast.

12. snoochems

snoochems Prince

I play with x2, or x3 tech and culture mods on standard speed. This makes the production of units/buildings 'normal', but the tech/culture advances much slower.