Best mods to enhance game?

OverWind

Chieftain
Hi everyone. I tried searching the forum, and while I'm certain a thread like this probably exists, I couldn't really find it.

So, what are the best mods for enhancing the core gameplay?
- Any good extra civs?
- Any good wonders?
- Any rulebending mods?

Also. Is it even possible to recreate something like the religion system in Civ 5 through mods? And if so, is anyone working on it?

Hi everyone. I tried searching the forum, and while I'm certain a thread like this probably exists, I couldn't really find it.

So, what are the best mods for enhancing the core gameplay?
- Any good extra civs?
- Any good wonders?
- Any rulebending mods?

Also. Is it even possible to recreate something like the religion system in Civ 5 through mods? And if so, is anyone working on it?

Have you tried to have a look at the mods-section of this forum?
A subforum with Civs
A subforum with Wonders
Good rulebending mods: VEM and NiGHTS

Religion can be found in mods such as Echoes of Ages or you can do a search for "religion" in the mods-forum, there are undoubtely plenty of mods.

Good luck and have fun!

Edit:
And something you can also do is just browsing through the mod browser, sorting by number of downloads in a specific section or a search-result for instance.

Have you tried to have a lok at the mods-section of this forum?
A subforum with Civs
A subforum with Wonders
Good rulebending mods: VEM and NiGHTS

Religion can be found in mods such as Echoes of Ages or you can do a search for religion in the mods-forum, there are undoubtely plenty of mods.

Good luck and have fun!

Edit:
And something you can also do is just browsing through the mod browser, sorting by number of downloads in a specific section or a search-result for instance.

Thanks a lot anandus. I have actually tried browsing through the mods. I just find it very difficult to find out what is "high quality" (for a mod) and what's really bad quality. Some time ago I downloaded a Civilization and found it very lacking (no leader image, unique traits copied from another civ, etc.) and I'm curious how other people find the best mods :)

I'll take a look again, especially at the specific mods you mention! :D

For balancing & fun game I would suggest VEM & CSD. For asthetic changes & flavour, RED is a good mod.

isn't there one out there for just UI improvements, along the lines of BUGG and BATT for CIV 4? can't think of the name right now...

isn't there one out there for just UI improvements, along the lines of BUGG and BATT for CIV 4? can't think of the name right now...

VEM improves the UI. Also there is mod named Civ Willard which does a similar job.

VEM improves the UI. Also there is mod named Civ Willard which does a similar job.

Correction:
UoP improves UI. VEM balances things.

You could use only UoP from Thal's mod, plus CivWillard, plus InfoAdict to get the closest thing to BUG for BTS...

Correction:
UoP improves UI. VEM balances things.

You could use only UoP from Thal's mod, plus CivWillard, plus InfoAdict to get the closest thing to BUG for BTS...
VEM includes UoP. So VEM improves UI. :D

Would people reccomend changing to a mod, or is it fine sticking with the original?

Would people reccomend changing to a mod, or is it fine sticking with the original?
It's a matter of personal preference, actually.
I've tried many mods, but I like vanilla fine as it is. But for others a mod can be a must.

The only way to find out for yourself is to try it out. Play a game with a mod and see how it suits you :)
Installing a mod is done in the blink of an eye, so it isn't a lot of hassle to do so.

VEP and Civ Willard are a must.

Civ Willard gives you the civ4 trading screen, and makes so much sense to use over the civ 5 trading screen.

VEP makes too many changes to list, they are mainly balance changes and many have been adapted by official patches.

Civ Willard gives you the civ4 trading screen, and makes so much sense to use over the civ 5 trading screen.

VEP makes too many changes to list, they are mainly balance changes and many have been adapted by official patches.

Are they easy to install/load and then revert to the original?

For example is there a screen where you select which to load, the vanilla or mod or is it just different executables for the original or any installed mods?

Many thas for the advice (know so little about this game)

Funny, my game runs fine without them.

I did use InfoAddict briefly, but found it to be little more than high level demographics that added very little overall value.

Are they easy to install/load and then revert to the original?

For example is there a screen where you select which to load, the vanilla or mod or is it just different executables for the original or any installed mods?

Many thas for the advice (know so little about this game)

Yes it's very easy, there is a 'Mods' option about halfway down the main menu. In there you can download and install mods, and enable or disable them. You don't need a separate executable.

HOWEVER: I have had problems updating to a newer version of a mod, things stopped working. It seems to work better if you go into your 'my games' folder, find the Civ 5 Mods folder, and delete the old version of the mod before you start Civ 5 and download the latest version from the Mods menu.

EDIT: and to answer your previous question, yes I would definitely recommend Thal's VEM mod (it is one of the first ones you will see in the Mods downloader). I like it much better than vanilla Civ 5. I haven't tried any others yet though this Willard thing sounds interesting.

Funny, my game runs fine without them.

I did use InfoAddict briefly, but found it to be little more than high level demographics that added very little overall value.

So silly...this is a thread about mods and people's opinions on mods.

I enjoy InfoAddict quite a bit too, but often forget its there.

TRying to find VEP and Civ Willard on the brose mods in game meu but cant.

What does VEP stand for please?

InfoAddict is really cool, its interesting to actually have information on the other civs as you play. I stopped using it though and play vanilla because you don't get achievements when using the mods.

I usually have "Echos of Ages" and the "Building Upgrades" mod active when playing.

I agree once you use CivWillard you will never go back - it saves hours off the game due to the improved UI for managing trade deals and CS relationships

e.g. Who wants my lux X and has cash? I can see that instantly without having to click on every AI leader individually...

How many turns till my next 3 RAs are in? - again with one click/hover I see list of when all deals expire (not when they were signed)

Top Bottom