1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Mods to improve vanilla style?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by Rynian, May 30, 2020.

1. Rynian

Rynian Chieftain

I usually play 4 and im coming in from there. In 4 I love Realism invictus, each civ feels unique with cultural units and what felt like a perfected version of civ 4's game design, and i really dig playing on earth style maps.

Im pretty new to civ 3, but im looking for the best base experience overhaul of that style, the ones that really seem to appeal to me are Worldwide, Rise and Rule and also Medieval Europe for the europe map and concentrated setting. The problem is I don't have time to check out every mod nor do I have the ability to parse what the difference between all these different rhys mods are. I actually installed a modpack from rhyse site and my scenarios screen was flooded with about 30 different mods and it all got super confusing, the few mods I did try seemed to be somewhat broken? maybe from the steam complete edition or maybe because i tried installing too many mods. Im about to fresh install, what mods should I look at?

Edit: from what ive seen of 3's gameplay, the biggest improvements id look for seem to be in unit variety, the tech tree, and governments, though I do appreciate how fast and straightforeward it is compared to 4

2. Oni Ryuu

Oni Ryuu King

Hi Rynian

Those are some of the best mods here.
    Civinator’s work is popular and well respected and my mod has everything you’ve listed.

There are also a number of good mods that aren’t even strategy games made by some very creative people.

3. Arcangelus

Arcangelus Chieftain

Just to add to the above: Most mods were made before the steam release, and to make them compatible you need to edit labels.txt
    It's in scenario/[name of the mod]/text
    Open it with some text editor, go to line 86 (between PING and Host) and add "Unknown". Like this:
    Code:
    PING
    Unknown
    Host