1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Naval Civilization?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Bizrock, Mar 19, 2018.

?

What is the best naval Civilization?

1. Norway

35.7%
  2. England

10.7%
  3. Indonesia

48.8%
  4. Brazil

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Dutch

3.6%
  6. Japan

1.2%
  1. Bizrock

Bizrock Chieftain

What is the best Civilization naval oriented?

• Naval Strenght.
    • Ability to settle and expand.
    • Bonuses with water tiles.
    • Advantages.

2. Timodelphia

Timodelphia Chieftain

I vote Norway.

Ability to enter ocean tiles at shipbuilding. Big win. Earlier=better in Civ6.

3. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

I'm not sure if Norway is actually the best naval civ, since they lack a really OP feature (like the Indonesian UI and the Brazilian UU). For me, they are the most fun to play naval nation though. One could argue that the Norwegian chopping is OP - but it doesn't benefit the naval game as much as is does building districts and wonders, despite being a supposed naval oriented ability. The earlier ocean tiles entering is, for me at least, more of an exploration and expansion feature. Although I enjoy pillaging folks that can't pillage back :D

4. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

No brainer, especially with England nerfed. The Norwegian chop is v strong and that early UU and ability to navigate earlier makes it strong.

England is close though because advantages/strength/bonus of +1 movement is very important for catching retreating units and escaping.

The Dutch frigate is weak, the Brazilian battleship may pack an early punch but for anyone that fights naval engagements like I do, ironclads will take it. Japan’s coastal bonus is not enough. Indonesia however is also strong, early spammed frigates probably I would put them second and the chaining bug allowing a settler to travel 20 tiles in a turn is handy.

jddods likes this.
  5. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

Norway can get to places nobody else can first, so they're the clear winners. Plus the massive chops are pretty strong, especially if you were to get god of the forge.

6. liv

liv Emperor

Yeah Norway is the best and also very interesting to play
    Indonesia can be very strong with Auckland in the game

7. Karpius

Karpius King

I voted England mostly because of the +1 movement which carries throughout the game, and the late game is really my turf. However, the recent nerfing of England (so sad) has made that advantage less significant.

8. Frostburn

Frostburn Warlord

I think you are underestimating Brazil's ship. 10 more combat strength and comes much earlier. I think it's easily the best unique boat in the game, and the reason Brazil deserves to be considered.

I voted Indonesia, but after reading comments I'm starting to think Norway might be the best.

9. aguliondew

aguliondew Prince

Norway can consistently build more ships throughout the game. Even through the other civs may have better ships, Norway will have a bigger army before they get their unique units. Mid-late game ships are expensive to build.

10. Bizrock

Bizrock Chieftain

Not so much with the Policy Card Press gang and the wonder that builds 2 for the price of one.

Tiger Genocide likes this.
  11. Victoria

Not in the slightest I have fought and killed it many times, I have also played with it and had it sunk by Russian subs. It is slow, that is its weakness, amd you have to build the thing. Granted it’s powerful it TBH any SP Navy is, it just that it’s slow and expensive.
    It’s not that rare that I have had 3 single ironclads attack it each fighting at +2 against it... and it’s sunk without a return shot. The mausoleum amd nelson are a great combo and 8 MP ironclads have enough to get it right from blind. I’ll also have a sea dog Armada where possible and then it’s mine.

12. Mrmyx22

Mrmyx22 Chieftain

Kingdom of Pirates is a lot of fun. It is a mod civ though.

13. KAL_MAD

KAL_MAD Chieftain

I don't understand how people can vote for a civ other than Indonesia. In naval maps (archipelago and Island plates) they're simply the best civ.

With their UI they can settle anywhere without having to think about housing, which is great because naval maps tend to have less land, which you'll need for other districts/wonders.
    They get minor adjacency bonuses from lakes and coast for almost all districts. They get amenities from building entertainment districts on lakes and coast.
    Their UU get +5 strength from being in formations, and civilian units share their movement, which will help you move settlers faster.
    They generate faith from the start (if you settle on a coast, which you will always want to do).

Indonesia is clearly the best naval civ.

Norway is second, for earlier ocean travel

Tiger Genocide and Bad Wolf like this.
  14. Victoria

Housing is unimportant, you just do not need large cities ubnless threatened for loyalty

So their UU need an additional unit tacked on to get their +5, a little annoying and +5 is not huge

Because the Norway chop is so scary and so early and by default Norway ends up with a massive ton of ships...

There was a big thread a while back about what use were melee ships, it came up because in SP there is no real competition at sea and I guess when you consider that themn maybe the dutch frigate and the brazilian battleship are great because they are gonna take you onto land faster. The whole thread is eaither moot or needs better clarification

"Best" is never an accurate word.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  15. Cerilis

Cerilis Stormrider

Wait, Norwegian Chop? Did I miss something?

16. KAL_MAD

KAL_MAD Chieftain

Besides the bonus for melee ship production, which is really scary early game, I don't find Norway to be that powerful. Indonesia has bonuses for everything; districts, units, housing, amenities, production, religion.

I'm talking about sp btw, never played multiplayer

17. Dark_Jedi06

Dark_Jedi06 "Deus ex Machina."

Indonesia.

Their UI means you can pretty much settle anywhere that has sea resources. The UU is decent and being able to faith-buy a navy is huge...my strategy pretty much always revolves around faith-buying my armies from the Medieval onward with the Grand Master Chapel, however it always annoys me that I have to purchase ships.

18. Victoria

A few patches back norway gained and extra +50% while producing ships

Magnus + card + Norway = 250% chop

Mercenaries is a long way off

19. KAL_MAD

KAL_MAD Chieftain

I gotta admit that is really scary!!! I'm gonna have to play Norway and try that

20. Victoria

And I have to admit the Indonesians are strongish but late to the party.
    Their real strength to me lies in their ability to get godess of the harvest and that really makes me want to change my mind