What is the best naval Civilization?

• Total voters

Bizrock

Chieftain
What is the best Civilization naval oriented?

• Naval Strenght.
  • Ability to settle and expand.
  • Bonuses with water tiles.
  • Advantages.

I vote Norway.

Ability to enter ocean tiles at shipbuilding. Big win. Earlier=better in Civ6.

I'm not sure if Norway is actually the best naval civ, since they lack a really OP feature (like the Indonesian UI and the Brazilian UU). For me, they are the most fun to play naval nation though. One could argue that the Norwegian chopping is OP - but it doesn't benefit the naval game as much as is does building districts and wonders, despite being a supposed naval oriented ability. The earlier ocean tiles entering is, for me at least, more of an exploration and expansion feature. Although I enjoy pillaging folks that can't pillage back :D

No brainer, especially with England nerfed. The Norwegian chop is v strong and that early UU and ability to navigate earlier makes it strong.

England is close though because advantages/strength/bonus of +1 movement is very important for catching retreating units and escaping.

The Dutch frigate is weak, the Brazilian battleship may pack an early punch but for anyone that fights naval engagements like I do, ironclads will take it. Japan’s coastal bonus is not enough. Indonesia however is also strong, early spammed frigates probably I would put them second and the chaining bug allowing a settler to travel 20 tiles in a turn is handy.

Norway can get to places nobody else can first, so they're the clear winners. Plus the massive chops are pretty strong, especially if you were to get god of the forge.

Yeah Norway is the best and also very interesting to play
Indonesia can be very strong with Auckland in the game

I voted England mostly because of the +1 movement which carries throughout the game, and the late game is really my turf. However, the recent nerfing of England (so sad) has made that advantage less significant.

the Brazilian battleship may pack an early punch but for anyone that fights naval engagements like I do, ironclads will take it.

I think you are underestimating Brazil's ship. 10 more combat strength and comes much earlier. I think it's easily the best unique boat in the game, and the reason Brazil deserves to be considered.

I voted Indonesia, but after reading comments I'm starting to think Norway might be the best.

Norway can consistently build more ships throughout the game. Even through the other civs may have better ships, Norway will have a bigger army before they get their unique units. Mid-late game ships are expensive to build.

Norway can consistently build more ships throughout the game. Even through the other civs may have better ships, Norway will have a bigger army before they get their unique units. Mid-late game ships are expensive to build.
Not so much with the Policy Card Press gang and the wonder that builds 2 for the price of one.

I think you are underestimating Brazil's ship.
Not in the slightest I have fought and killed it many times, I have also played with it and had it sunk by Russian subs. It is slow, that is its weakness, amd you have to build the thing. Granted it’s powerful it TBH any SP Navy is, it just that it’s slow and expensive.
It’s not that rare that I have had 3 single ironclads attack it each fighting at +2 against it... and it’s sunk without a return shot. The mausoleum amd nelson are a great combo and 8 MP ironclads have enough to get it right from blind. I’ll also have a sea dog Armada where possible and then it’s mine.

I don't understand how people can vote for a civ other than Indonesia. In naval maps (archipelago and Island plates) they're simply the best civ.

With their UI they can settle anywhere without having to think about housing, which is great because naval maps tend to have less land, which you'll need for other districts/wonders.
They get minor adjacency bonuses from lakes and coast for almost all districts. They get amenities from building entertainment districts on lakes and coast.
Their UU get +5 strength from being in formations, and civilian units share their movement, which will help you move settlers faster.
They generate faith from the start (if you settle on a coast, which you will always want to do).

Indonesia is clearly the best naval civ.

Norway is second, for earlier ocean travel

without having to think about housing
Housing is unimportant, you just do not need large cities ubnless threatened for loyalty

Their UU get +5 strength from being in formations,
So their UU need an additional unit tacked on to get their +5, a little annoying and +5 is not huge

I don't understand how people can vote for a civ other than Indonesia.
Because the Norway chop is so scary and so early and by default Norway ends up with a massive ton of ships...

There was a big thread a while back about what use were melee ships, it came up because in SP there is no real competition at sea and I guess when you consider that themn maybe the dutch frigate and the brazilian battleship are great because they are gonna take you onto land faster. The whole thread is eaither moot or needs better clarification

"Best" is never an accurate word.

Last edited:
Housing is unimportant, you just do not need large cities ubnless threatened for loyalty

So their UU need an additional unit tacked on to get their +5, a little annoying and +5 is not huge

Because the Norway chop is so scary and so early and by default Norway ends up with a massive ton of ships... and Naval domination is about melee ships which people seem to forget. shooty things just get killed. The big difference between land and sea battles is you cannot see your opponent until they attack so shooty things typically can only shoot after they have been mauled apart from maybe getting a scout ship or embarked unit.

There was a big thread a while back about what use were melee ships, it came up because in SP there is no real competition at sea and I guess when you consider that themn maybe the dutch frigate and the brazilian battleship are great because they are gonna take you onto land faster. The whole thread is eaither moot or needs better clarification

Besides the bonus for melee ship production, which is really scary early game, I don't find Norway to be that powerful. Indonesia has bonuses for everything; districts, units, housing, amenities, production, religion.

I'm talking about sp btw, never played multiplayer

Indonesia.

Their UI means you can pretty much settle anywhere that has sea resources. The UU is decent and being able to faith-buy a navy is huge...my strategy pretty much always revolves around faith-buying my armies from the Medieval onward with the Grand Master Chapel, however it always annoys me that I have to purchase ships.

Top Bottom