Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Whose Line Is It Anyway?

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Others

Votes: 12 12.4%

• Total voters

Ramius75

Deity
Now with so many Monty python's thread around. I can help it but comment thou the jokes and sketches while funny, they aren't the best and some sketches are so old that only manage to squeeze a giggle out of me.

So with a shield and umbrella protecting me. What are British Comedy u think is the best.

/poll away

East Enders!

Ha, kidding. I haven't seen enough to really say, but I've been fond of Benny Hill when I was young in the 70s/80s.

East Enders!

Ha, kidding. I haven't seen enough to really say, but I've been fond of Benny Hill when I was young in the 70s/80s.

yes, Benny hill was good. I think the producers know what the audience really like and add in all the sexist sketches and plot... :p

I've been a Mr. Bean fan since I was young.

And I also liked Fawlty Towers.

Oh my, well since you are including Dr Who in the list, it wins simply because it is the greatest show (regardless of genre) to ever come out of the Sceptered Isle.

I like Blackadder, but that show requires a certain understanding of British history and culture to be fully appreciated.

Mr. Bean due to the lack of language and purely visual gags gives it global appeal. Any person from say, Asia or Africa with no understanding of English will still be able to laugh at his antics.

As for Benny Hill the old perv has always been a personal favorite of mine. :D

Here's a list of a few others:

Derek and Clive (Peter Cook and Dudley Moore)
Fry and Laurie (Laurie's Doctor House in USA now)
Smith and Jones
Eddie Izzard
Paul Merton
Ben Elton (80's)
'I'm sorry I haven't got a clue' (radio)

There should be a few clips on you tube to waste a few minutes enjoyably.

I'd just like to highlight that 'British humour' doesn't end at 'English humour'.

We Scot's have programs too, the best probably being Rickie Fulton's Scotch and Wry which was outstanding. Everyone watched it when it was on on New Years Even(up here anyway). We also tend to have the likes of Rab C Nesbit (we're not all like that, honest), Only an Excuse, Chewin' the Fat and Still Game.

But Blackadder is outstanding.

Speaking purely of Televison it'd be Red Dwarf for me. If you expand to all forms of comedy though it'd probably be either Terry Pratchett's Discworld or Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

I loved The Office, it was perfect. Who's Line was also great. I've never been a great fan of Monty Python though, I think it's overrated.

RED DWARF!

And its not just in the UK that this is the best comedy. Its also the best science fiction.

I voted "other", because my favorite British comedy is "The Young Ones", and its like-minded shows ("Filthy, Rich and Catflap", "Bottom")

Well done. The Young Ones is brilliant.

Also: How can anyone forget BLACK BOOKS?

Question for the Prime Minister. That Tony Blair was a riot.

Benny Hill.

Top Bottom