1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Best PHI Leader

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Gwynnja, Jul 12, 2013.

?

Best/Favorite PHI leader

1. Alexander

7.1%
  2. Elizabeth

30.1%
  3. Frederick

5.3%
  4. Gandhi

31.9%
  5. Lincoln

2.7%
  6. Pericles

14.2%
  7. Peter

5.3%
  8. Sitting Bull

1.8%
  9. Suleiman

1.8%
  1. Gwynnja

Gwynnja Deity

I want to work on my GPP generation. Who is your favorite/best PHI leader and why. For the sake of argument assume same start/land.

2. Drakarska

Drakarska Epic Dadness

Went with good ol' Perry (was a close call with Ghandi though), as he's Phi/CRE. A good early game UU, decent UB, and the cr of promo's make him a good huge+ map civ to play. Just wish his starting techs were a tad bit better.

3. Ataxerxes

Ataxerxes Deity

I'll take Gandhi. Strong second trait and a decent UB. His UU is guaranteed to be useful, unlike most others. Really, Gandhi is one of the best leaders for the human. Don't be misled by the fact he's steamrollered when the AI plays him.

4. rah

rah Deity Supporter

I'm a fan of lizzie.
    Redcoats are fun.
    Fin makes the game go quicker since you don't have to think about it. The UB is only useful in a few cities but what the heck.

5. Fippy

Fippy Mycro Junkie Queen

Gandhi cos of fast worker and switching between Caste/Slavery compliments Phi, but most of them are very good leaders.. cept Alex who is just average, and Bully who can never be as good as others with a stronger 2nd trait.

Peter is often overlooked and rarely will you see games with him here for some reason..
    but he has one of the strongest trait combos, PHI leader with quick starts and Expansive is great.

6. Gwynnja

Gwynnja Deity

Maybe because he starts with mediocre techs and games are decided by the time you get to Cossacks and over before you get to research institutes? EXP is top tier for sure.

7. TiglathPileser

TiglathPileser Warlord

It's between Gandhi and Pericles, and I vote Gandhi. Better starting techs, best unique unit, and his ability to swap in and out of caste/slavery and nationhood/bureaucracy for free trump cheap libraries and border pops. Lizzie is pretty decent too.

8. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

good girl! ;)

I think Lincoln is pretty decent as well - he seems to be a bit overlooked.

9. AdamCrock

AdamCrock Polish Pudding

Ghandi .....

10. jpm

jpm Chieftain

Restricted leaders - Ghandi
    Unrestricted Leaders - Lizzy

11. drewisfat

drewisfat Prince

I vote Peter.
    EXP > SPI more than I think fast worker > Cossack. The real tie breaker is when you're Gandhi you don't have a chance of versing Gandhi :)

12. plasmacannon

plasmacannon Emperor

Elizabeth.
    PHI & FIN & a UB that gives me more Gold.
    Top that off with a UU that I will always build every game.
    Hands down a Great Leader.

13. elmurcis

elmurcis Emperor

Pericles of Romans could be good idea :) Praetorian + Forum + CRE + PHI... well.. thats great synergy for me atleast (because I like to forget worries about culture and borders.. and focus on different things... like.. tech lead or some war :D )

14. nerdfighter13

nerdfighter13 Prince of the Universe

Ghandhi, because philosophical is great and his fast workers allow you to build a great person farm quicker, which helps me a lot when I play as him.

15. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Gandhi, Liz, and Peter are all very strong choices. Of the bunch, perhaps Liz is the best just due to the sheer tech potential.

16. Seraiel

Seraiel Deity

Liz definately is the best. Ghandi can be as good on higher speeds as Liz, but FIN shines out always, while SPI requires skill at least.

17. VSarius

VSarius Warlord

Liz. FIN is just too strong. Even dragged down by the mediocre UB and a late-UU, she's still able to tech at a monstrous, truly monstrous rate.

18. Seraiel

Seraiel Deity

Disagree on the "medicore" , regarding the UB. Stock Exchanges come late, ok, but they still come in time and simply more gold from a building that itself already has the highest efficiency from all buildings, is amazing. Also, Redcoats + Support beat Infantries without problems.

In Contrast to that: Mausoleums are rarely needed in any games, and fast Workers only really shine on Quick Speed imho. It's the SPI trait, that can make Ghandi enormously powerful in the hands of a Pro, as it allows playing "like being a Virus" , adapting to the others, changing Religion, switching to their favourite Civic, getting a trade, change again, get the next tech with the tech just traded, a.s.o.

19. VSarius

VSarius Warlord

Considering most UBs fall under "" or "Who gives a damn", I'd say mediocre isn't all that bad. It's more-so a problem with where on the tree the UB is then the building itself. For RushBuy strats it's actually pretty damn good, though I do feel a 5% increase to put it on par with the Mall wouldn't be an awful idea.

20. UnforcedError

UnforcedError Settler

Went with Gandhi for restricted leaders. Fast workers are fantastic and SPI is extremely powerful. I never play marathon or epic so I actually consider FW the most powerful UU in the game.
    With unrestricted leaders Liz and Pericles also come close. Maybe even Peter.