1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Pizza

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by EQandcivfanatic, Jan 2, 2004.

?

What is the best pizza?

1. Papa John's

17 vote(s)
    18.9%
  2. Pizza Hut

16 vote(s)
    17.8%
  3. Dominos

12 vote(s)
    13.3%
  4. Hungry Howie's

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Sbarro

3 vote(s)
    3.3%
  6. Cici's

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  7. Little Ceaser's

5 vote(s)
    5.6%
  8. Privately owned Pizzaria

41 vote(s)
    45.6%
  9. Other (please mention)

29 vote(s)
    32.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Stapel

Stapel FIAT 850 coupé

The one I make at home of course. Usually my brother prepares the bottom (goes in to the 200Celsiuis oven for 10 minutes), and I make a delicious, fresh, garlic, onion, tomato sauce.

A typical Stapel brother's Pizza has is a square and has old Gouda cheese on the tomato sauce.
    It is divided in 4 parts (quattro stagione) with different mixed toppings.

When we order, we do so at Portobello, as it is the top pizza deliverer in The Hague. Not exactly cheap, but they usually add a free bottle of wine.

I usually order 'Pizza Julio Iglesias', which has shrimps and chicken, or 'Casanova', which has salmon, squid, shrimps and tuna.

The names of the pizzas are the only thing bad at this place!

2. FearlessLeader2

FearlessLeader2 Fundamentalist Loon

:eek: You... they... fish... and crap... on PIZZA?! :acid:

The downfall of Western civilization is well under way... :cry:

3. Drewcifer

Drewcifer Agent of Karma

Fish on pizza?

Heresey!!!

Burn him at the stake!!!

I used to work for a chef from Florence. He said that you never mix fish and cheese in authentic Italian cooking.

4. Laughing Gull

Laughing Gull charts, graphs, databases

bah

you're only saying that because pizzas are considered italian food. 10$ says the average pizza in Italy sucks donkey gonads.

America perfected pizza, and there isn't really much anyone can do about it.

Best pizza: BJ's Brewery, Southern California.

5. Stapel

Stapel FIAT 850 coupé

I can assure you that I didn't make this up myself. The recipies do come from Italians. Any Italian restaurant I have seen, has pizzas named 'Marina' or something similar. Ansjofish is simply a popular ingredient! Also Octopussi are used a lot I think.

@FL2, I guess you don't like fish at all?

@Drewcifer: Chefs can be very determined in things they make up themself. I wonder what is the case here.

I do know an authentique recipy for pasta sauce: salmon with creamcheese. It is defenitely Italian and it is defenitely good! And it uses both fish and cheese!

6. Grisu

Grisu Draghetto Retired Moderator

you propably were never lucky enough to taste an authentic italian pizza. You just can't compare american pizza to italian pizza, it's just not the same dish. I love both types but they are two different dishes which happen to have the same name....:)

7. lord_byron_nz

lord_byron_nz Gimme some money

We just got Domino's here in NZ. I Like :)

8. Brewster

Brewster stays crunchy in milk

The best pizza I've ever had (and I've tried many different places) is found in a little Greek restaurant in Sidney BC called Odyssia. The dough is made fresh every day and the toppings are top notch (yeah, I used to work there too). They don't do 2 for 1 like every other place out here and it is expensive, but the quality is second to none.

This has led me to one conclusion: the Italians might make good pizza, but the Greeks make great pizza.

9. Drewcifer

Drewcifer Agent of Karma

It is not made up, it is a famous general rule of thumb in Italian cooking.

I am trying to find corroboration in one of my Italian cookbooks ("The Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking by Marcella Hazan and a few books by Pino Luongo). I didn't find anything explicit but none of the seafood recipies have any cheese in them.

It is possible there are exceptions. Italians only follow the rules they like when they are cooking.

Edit: The example you give (salmon and creamcheese) is probably an adaptation of a recipie that originated outside of Italy. It could have been created to cater to local tastes in the Netherlands (a common practice for all styles of cooking worldwide). Salmon is not indigenous to Italy and was rare there until the prosperity of the post-war period. The fish of the Mediterrenean are more traditional: tuna, mackrel, anchovies, sardines, red mullet (rouget), dog shark (palombo), scorpion fish, octopus, squid, etc.. The one exception to this is salt cod which generally came from the Grand Banks off of Newfoundland and was preserved for sale back in Europe.

10. Stapel

Stapel FIAT 850 coupé

I'll check mine too tonight!

11. carlosMM

carlosMM Deity

which just shows that I am right saying Americans do not know the first thing about pizza, only about their own perverted, junk-fooded ersion of it :rolleyes:

sorry to say, but food in the US always consists of less tasty, sugared-to-hell, low-fat, softened stuff that gives you a fat belly and has no fibres whatsoever. Deep-pan pizza - indeed! Same as the bread: if I can compress bread to about 10% of the normal volume, then let it go and it expands again that is nothing but artificial refuse. And the same goes for cheese and pizza in the US.

even meat is tenderizsed, and cows are fed corn, whcih makes the beef taste funny, and all the smae. I bet no american has every tasted the difference between a T-Bone steak and filet. I pity you :(

12. carlosMM

carlosMM Deity

stapel, drew: the italian pizze with Tuna, olives and capers I had in Sorent had no cheese either ;)

13. Stapel

Stapel FIAT 850 coupé

I am not done checking yet, but you might have a valid point!

I have visited a dozen pizza joints in Rome, and I hardly remember a cheese fish combo......

But I like the Tuna - Cheese combo anayway!

14. carlosMM

carlosMM Deity

OK, talked to an Italian guest scientist here: ANYTHING cna go on a pizza (it is essentially a dish where you put on whatever leftovers you have) BUT it would be a weird combo to use fish and cheese she says.

15. Stapel

Stapel FIAT 850 coupé

AFAIK, the pizza is indeed a typical sunday dish, where all left overs are put on some dough.

Maybe fish ain't no typical leftover?

16. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Ah, winter finally.

There this little place in Helsinki on Lapinlahdenkatu called Zio Pepe. They have the most wonderful pizza I ever tasted. The one they called Benjam's with artichokes, cured ham, mushrooms, tomato sauce and mozzarella (I think) is great!

17. carlosMM

carlosMM Deity

that may be the point, but I can hardly imagine they wouldn't (if they have nothing else) throw a can of tuna on the pizza.......

I have had a salmone e spinachi pizza in a restaurant here IIRC though. a good italian place..... it had cheese on it, but only on the spinach.

18. Stapel

Stapel FIAT 850 coupé

I took my 496 pages culinar journey through Italy: Culinaria Italia, and found two classic pizza recipies, using:

-Mozarella and anchovies
    -Mozarella and mussels

19. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

The best pizza I had was from this joint in chicago, I forgot it's name. Right now I'm eating a sbarro's pizza, but it's really more of grease wedge.

20. ArbitraryGuy

ArbitraryGuy Rusty Shackleford?

Tony's brand frozen pizza is good. It's cheap, non-greasy, and doesn't taste like cardboard.