1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Quest reward ever?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by BigChiefLizzy, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Tephros

Tephros Caffeine Junkie

Yeah I did once, but without building enough religious buildings to reveal it. Most of the unclaimed mountains in the world were near an enemy city on the verge of its first cultural expansion (I had a lot of espionage against them). I was going to take that city last, but I decided to take it next. As soon as the borders popped under my control I completed the quest.

2. Ramesses

Ramesses Ruler. Visionary. Pimp.

And what did you get for it? 1 extra :) for each city?

3. Supr49er

Supr49er 2011 Thunderfall Cup

That's exactly what you get. It's usually too much trouble/work for that reward.

4. Tephros

Tephros Caffeine Junkie

All I did was change the order I attacked the cities. Very worth it for what's basically a resource. In long wars it can make the difference in where you have to put your culture slider, or even without wars how big your biggest city outside of globe theater can be.

5. Tephros

Tephros Caffeine Junkie

Yeah I wouldn't go out of my way to build the religious buildings to reveal it, unless I had some other incentive to build them, like need for cathedrals or possession of AP, Sankore, Minaret.

6. wtfomgPWNT

wtfomgPWNT Chieftain

the greed quest for oil gives u 4 free tanks

7. christian_a

christian_a Chieftain

I like quests, and also random events. I always play with increased frequency, to get more quests - even though I also get the bad random events. And I always do my best to finish the quests, and go for all the extra stuff, by building certain wonders or run certain civics. Not always succesfully though.

I liked the Greed quest, I think I got it once or twice, and finished early enough for the free units to be of use.
    I finished the holy mountain quest once, luckily it was on a two tile island, with only mountain on one. But boy did that city suck! Noawdays I might still build the requisite number of religious buildings, but ignore that blasted mountain.
    Holy mountain is the quest I get most often, perhaps only topped by the one where you need to settle a humongeous number of landmasses (Blessed Sea?). That one is always impossible, since I rarely plan Archipelago anymore. Ok, not impossible, but it would be a sacrifice all tactic to do it.

I had a game recently, still havent finished it, but I'm sooo far ahead on points, where I got some good quests. I was Darius on an Earth2 map, starting in "spain" if you correlate to our world. I had a good start, with horses hooked up with my 2nd city very close to capitol. My closest neighbour was Monty in "france". Losing the early religions, I gunned for one from CoL eventually. I planned to do the Immortal Rush, to rid myself of a very close and warmongering neigbour. Aaaaand I got the quest to biuld chariots! Just as I was wiping out Monty, I reached the requisite number of units, and decided to keep on fightin'. So i noticed Zara in "sweden" with a holy city, which I destroyed. Continuing on east I went hunting for the Celts, to wipe their religion off the map. It was my goal to dominate religiously with the one I'd eventually found. Celts were wiped out all the way in "china".
    By now I expanded and got a pretty good economy going. And with quite a few coastal cities i made a trireme to protect them, I soon got the Harbourmaster and the 'build triremes' quests. Oh yeah, things I was going to build anyway.

Generally I think the "build X number of Y building/unit" are good quests, since I rarely need to do anything I would'nt have done without the quest. Just perhaps in a different timeframe or order without the quest. And the rewards are always good enough for me to bother.

8. Corneh

Corneh Warlord

why is the classical literature quest not mentioned i always build libraries and The great library giving it +1 free scientist is huge!

9. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Best defense hands you +3 diplo with all leaders as one of its rewards ----> can easily be game-breaking.

10. Joshua368

Joshua368 Warmongering builder

Expecially since the extra scientist doesn't obsolete at Scientific Method... you keep it forever! Certainly one of the best quests in the game in my opinion. :goodjob:

11. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

How often do people get quests? I've had I think 3 total in all the games I've played.

12. -FC-Commando

-FC-Commando Warlord

Best quest : harbormaster. +2 gold harbor.

Best random event : drydock upgrade i always choose +1 health and +2 hammer.

13. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

I was just given the triremes quest. My problem? I was just starting to research Nationalism. Guess one of the techs that obsoletes the quest?

14. morchuflex

morchuflex Emperor

I have completed the Harbomaster several times, and the Sports League twice. Not sure about any other one.

The trouble is, several quests have too high requirements, especially those asking you to build X <buildings> or colonize X different landmasses. I play on huge maps, and on that map size, X = 11. Who is ever going to colonize 11 landmasses? Or build 11 stables? 11 colosseums or harbors makes more sense because these buildings are useful in themselves (even though I will generally have fewer than 11 cities until rather late in the game). But 11 stables? Even Gengis Khan doesn't need that many.

15. dragodon64

dragodon64 Noble

Well, stables are pretty cheap, and one of the rewards is +1:food:, so the stablemaster quest is pretty good. And you'll always have a pretty good cavalry force if you need it.

16. morchuflex

morchuflex Emperor

Didn't know about the food thing. I would have expected this quest to give nothing but a marginal military bonus as a reward. My mistake.

17. Andvare

Andvare King

Indeed, quite possibly the strongest quest. Though getting that "build x swordsmen" as the Romans are fun too (when would you *not* build swordsmen as the Romans?

I do prefer the events though, like getting cover right before you rush, or that late game motherlode event for the hilarity (yay! 60-ish gold that I can use for, emm, nothing?).

18. GeoffWatson

GeoffWatson Chieftain

The only time I've got that Quest I completed it without even trying.
    A few turns after I got the Quest one of my cities borders expanded, and found the Mountain.
    Easy!

Geoff.