Best religious hero: Complete edition (plus post-Chalid nerfs)

asdfghjklpoiuytrewq

• Total voters

Monkeyfinger

Deity
MENTALLY REPLACE GILDEN WITH KITHRA IN MY LIST, I MIXED THE 2 UP AND THERE'S NO WAY FOR ME TO CORRECT IT.

So yeah, the old one only had the late heroes and was missing Hemah and was taken back when Chalid had cure disease, heal, and metal weapons. Also Crown of brilliance was a tiny bit stronger, and units in cities didn't have +10% spell resistance.

Have things changed? How will the left out people fare? Let's see.

I still think Chalid's the best, if not by as great a margin. Strength is still good, he's still very mobile, and his spells are still really painful (I don't notice the spell resistance buff/crown nerf much. They just mean that it usually takes me 2 turns to fully weaken a defense instead of it sometimes taking 2 turns.) I do definitely miss heal though. It was great for quickly getting a stack in shape to move out again after conquering a city and taking damage.

At the time of this poll's creation Sphener and Yvain both lack cure disease and heal. However, they're getting them back in the next patch. So pretend they have those spells. No such plans for Chalid.

Chalid is still number #1, pillar of fire is great. losing heal doesn't mean much imho since if you have chalid you'll also have empyrean priests to cast heal with.

I say Sphener, high base strength, heal, and all concentrated on one unit. no need to worry about waiting for the priests to catch up.
I think one of the best things about him though is his access to the entire Command line. He can literally go invade alone and garrison cities with captured defenders. It's extremely useful. Once he gets blitz he's unstoppable.

I think it will be Chalid again.

However, what I think you need to ask is which religion has the best heroes.

Let's see...Empyrean has heavy hitter Chalid. That's it.

But, FOL has Yvain AND Kythra.

The Order has Sphener AND Phalin.

So, you not only get a late hero, but an early hero when you could really use one.

One on one: Chalid

Religion: FOL, hands down.

I've never found FoL's heroes to be especially powerful... Not that I've used them, but maybe it's just because by the time I would normally have them, I'd also have something else of similar strength.

Chalid is assuredly one of the strongest units in the games, if for nothing else than his ability to knock off half the health of an entire stack in very short time.

Arthendain is also a surprisingly good stack supporter.

[to_xp]Gekko;7617221 said:
Chalid is still number #1, pillar of fire is great. losing heal doesn't mean much imho since if you have chalid you'll also have empyrean priests to cast heal with.

Not necessarily. Leveling non-Illian priests to 6 is pretty tough, since they aren't very strong and have a lot of chances to get screwed by the RNG on the way to 26, if you're having them fight easy battles (say, vs. people Chalid softened up)

I think it will be Chalid again.

However, what I think you need to ask is which religion has the best heroes.

Let's see...Empyrean has heavy hitter Chalid. That's it.

But, FOL has Yvain AND Kythra.

The Order has Sphener AND Phalin.

So, you not only get a late hero, but an early hero when you could really use one.

One on one: Chalid

Religion: FOL, hands down.

Good point on comparing it by religion, wish I'd thought of it. I'd probably pick OO, though Empyrean is still a strong contender for even that.

Why is Gilden one of the choices?

Early on, I think Bambur is best, due to enchanted sword and his other spells that can make the ax and catapult attack more powerful.

Chalid remains very strong, but Sphener is also powerful.

Not much love for the early heroes here. Obviously they're not as powerful as Chalid et al., but they can be more effective relative to their contemporary opposition. Heroic Strength makes a bigger difference when you're fighting axes than when you're fighting Champs.

I voted for Saverous over Rosy/Valin because he can get march.

Maybe he forgot that Gilden isn't a religious hero, he's the ljosalfar hero. :p

I voted for Rosier - from my experiences, he tends to be the most useful. Possibly because I don't normally research the mounted line until later on.

My vote is for Valin, though Rosier is equally effective at the "I am a big scary fast guy" killing sprees that Valin is prone to in my games. While I agree with Psycho_Ivan that Arthendain is really excellent backup, he comes so late that it isn't that hard to have equally good stack defenders in place by the time he arrives. The FoL heroes come afoul of the same problem, in my mind.

I got to go with Sphener but Chalid is also very powerful. Sphener is basically a single unit army after awhile. But for early heroes i personally love Bambur his enchanted blade ability has won many early wars for me.

i'd definately have to vote yvain. he's a healer, terraformer, and with +2 affinity he's a hitter as well. my only gripe is that he won't ever defend stacks. with nine nature nodes orthus' axe and leveled up like a beast, it was still up to my weak champions to keep dying defending him. kinda weird.

i'd definately have to vote yvain. he's a healer, terraformer, and with +2 affinity he's a hitter as well. my only gripe is that he won't ever defend stacks. with nine nature nodes orthus' axe and leveled up like a beast, it was still up to my weak champions to keep dying defending him. kinda weird.

Don't forget that he has channelling--that lowers the chance that he defends stacks. That said, he's brilliant at defending your mages from assassins...

Last words of a Svart Shadow to another: "I'm gonna sneak up and stab that mage hiding behind that large oak tree........"

Chalid is still the man. Ol' fireeyes lays it on heavy and thick, and is by far the fastest route to any conquest victory.

Mulcarn's more civ specific than religion specific, for gameplay purposes anyway.
Chalid's still the best. Nothing beats the raw power of the sun.

Which combat type does sun affinity give, fire or physical? If it is fire then Yvain's definitely better. Nature mana gives big muscles and tough bark. Anything with magic resistance and fire resistance is nearly impervious to fire. And horsemen are completely immune.

Maelstorms and fireballs from support magi can decimate stacks just fine.

Top Bottom