1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Best REX'er

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Mano3, May 4, 2010.

1. Mano3

Mano3 King

Just read the post regarding best leaders to play and noticed that Julius Caesar was noted as a good leader to play if you like to REX.

What say you?

2. phoenix_sprite

phoenix_sprite King

Anything with Imperialistic.

3. dirtyparrot

dirtyparrot Upholding Brannigan's Law

Zara is very good as well. CRE and ORG lend themselves to effective REXing, but all his discounts on buildings (Library, Lighthouse, Courthouse, Theatre, Factory, and Colosseum) makes it quicker to set up the infrastructure to get your economy back in shape.

Cathy is also very good

4. budweiser

budweiser King of the Beers

I'll say Joao. Starts with mining/fishing. Is Exp/Emp for fast granaries, workers and settlers, one tech away from BW.

5. kossin

kossin Deity

Catherine is queen in my book.

Easy border pops, cheap libraries, early scientists, easy research.

6. huerfanista

huerfanista Emperor

Yeah, gotta love Cathy. My fav is Darius, though, King of the Uncrashable Economy (TM). Doesn't get out as fast, but never has to stop, and doesn't need settlers so much if horses are nearby. :devil:

7. bakshi

bakshi Prince

cathy just because I love border pops.

8. Sian

Sian Emperor

anything with Cre / Imp / Exp can rex strongly, as long as they make sure their economy can handle it (by early Cottages or other Commence heavy stuff) ... pure econ traits (only counting Fin and Org here, not Phil) have the good thing that while they're slightly slower on the start they're somewhat more forgiving with economy handling since they're giving you more or need less respectively

9. vicawoo

vicawoo Chieftain

Financial and creative. Work only special tiles (skip mines) and you'll expand much faster than imperialistic/expansive will allow. Of course your economy will die, which is what riverside cottages are for.

10. McThomas

McThomas Creative Warrior

Hammer start: Catherine...

Food start: Creative leaders...

Both: Joao :D

11. madscientist

madscientist RPC Supergenius

Cathy. Fast settlers, and fast border pops to block off land. Fast Libraries to run an early SE is big also.

12. Manco Capac

Manco Capac Friday,13 June,I Collapse

Catherine and Zara. Zara is a terrible competitor when being the AI.

13. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Joao, Sury, and Catherine hold the pure speed. Mixing an econ trait adds balance though.

14. budweiser

budweiser King of the Beers

The cre leaders will let you put up libs and 2 scientists fast in your cities. This will get you to Aplha, CoL, Currency, whatever. The non-cre leaders like Joao, need another method, but a couple of cottages in the cap should help.

15. Manco Capac

Manco Capac Friday,13 June,I Collapse

Catherine is quean in my book when being the AI. :eek:

16. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Yes. "Cheap" and "Easy". Very good traits for...

Civ.

Somehow, Sury just doesn't seem to garner the same amount of attention. Wonder why.

17. McThomas

McThomas Creative Warrior

Its only because you got beaten by Sury :p just kidding... i read you other post... 15 cities proves it self... he is a fine REX'er... mostly in the hand of the AI...

18. Shurdus

Shurdus Am I Napoleon?

No one wants to play a leader that has a head that looks so silly? :p

I agree that Sury does a good job at rexxing, although I am unsure if he deserves to be mentioned as one of the best. He is highly unpopular for his meak UU, so he is not a popular choice of a leader all around. Maybe people let that influence their decision maybe?

Zara is awesome, so is Willem or any creative leader, and any imperialistic leader. However I feel Joao is not a very solid rexxer. Sure he can pump cities like mad but he has no real economic synergies to pull his economy back up after it crashes down. I would prefer a leader like Zara, Cathy or the Egyptians over that any day since they at least have an easier time to keep their economy up. Joao is fast, and you should only rex as fast as you can afford. Going any faster - like Joao very well could - is a waste.

19. Iranon

Iranon Deity Whipping Boy

In my opinion, the top spot is shared by Mehmed and Julius, with Joao being slightly behind. ORG is great for staving off an economic crisis, and the cheaper lighthouses are a very important speed advantage on many maps. Cheap courthouses make the recovery smoother.

20. Lynxx

Lynxx Chieftain

I personally always manage to play well with sury. His traits are great. UB great too. His UU is slightly situational, but being able to take out any mounted units first (they are normally the strongest ones) and then taking one whatever is left with your normal attacking unit is easily underestimated by most people it seems.

Attacking a city you win with siege anyway. Out in the open the ballistas defend and attack against the biggest threat there normally is: mounted units. Whats not to like?

(As a side note: Playing Sury means you will not have to meat his ugly face in civ yourself)