1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Best starting techs

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by MCan, Oct 26, 2011.

1. salty mud

salty mud Deity

One turn from Bronze Working? I wish. :lol:

2. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

Anything but hunting or myst.

Agr/wheel though.

3. Tatran

Tatran Deity

Sometimes wishes come true...

Spoiler :

With huts on : Hunting + Mining
    Huts off : Agriculture + the Wheel

4. GGracchus

GGracchus Tribune of Rome

On immortal, when the AI starts with scouts, it's better to not have huts as they'll get the large majority of them.

5. jordiflor

jordiflor Chieftain

With Fishing, I don't feel like cheating when I regenerate a non-coastal map. After all, how the heck they learned to fish?
    I mean... map start should be somehow correlated with initial techs

6. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

I regulary regenerate maps to get a costal start with fishing civs, and a non-costal start with others.

Feels totally moronic that a civ should have the knowledge of fishing, if they live in the middle of a huge continent...

My favourite starting techs, like most others are agriculture, mining and the wheel.
    The wheel is the most flexible, with agriculture beeing a close second, there is almost allways something you can farm.
    Mining is good because it's on the way to bronzeworking.

I would have prefered that you were given a choice of two starting techs, after seeing the start.

7. Cheps

Cheps Chieftain

Having fishing with no costal start or no fishing with seafood is part of the map randomness. You may be playing Egypt and not have horses.

Of course it makes things harder, but also gives different openings, like warrior->fishing->fishing boat.

8. jordiflor

jordiflor Chieftain

It's not only a question of randomness. Starting with non-coastal Fishing is a handicap you don't have if starting with Agriculture/Wheel/Mining/Mysticism/Hunting - which always are useful regardless of map start. In a continental start, by the time I would need Fishing its research value is insignificant.

Btw, my favorite combo is Fishing/Mining

9. geowzrd

geowzrd Warlord

I personally prefer agriculture and the wheel as you can grow your cities quickly and quickly build infrastructure.

10. Utenlok

Utenlok Warlord

would be sweet if one, or both, of your techs you got to pick on turn 1.

Chinese have best combo with mining and agg, IMO, but their leader traits are trash.

Egypt is pretty sweet cause you can research AH and if horses are there, you already have the wheel and can go on a romp.

11. GroundedSausage

GroundedSausage Lord of the Fireflies

I'd say it would be the best to start off with the road and fishing. Mining comes next, but i try for some reason to research anything before other civs get buddhism and hinduism so i can go straight to monotheism and then theology. Why is it that i prefer only founding the Abrahamic religions? Prejudice? I couldn't tell ya...

12. ecuwins

ecuwins Emperor

The best starting techs are ones that have synergy with your start.

Extreme example

Sometimes it just works out so well, you don't know wth to tech.

13. Tatran

Tatran Deity

^
    Iron working maybe?

14. theskibum

theskibum Brewer of Oatmeal Stout

You guys do know you can fish on rivers and lakes too right? ;)

15. GKey

GKey Emperor

I'd say it's 3 starting techs, since in 99% of cases you get 3rd tech while building a worker. So it comes to the price of tech and, as Kossin mentioned above, the wheel is most expensive one and Agr is second.

16. Optical

Optical The Fall of the Eleventh

Usually, though, you can get even Agr before your first worker comes out at T15 (normal).

17. Cristoval

Cristoval Warlord

Best starting techs is hunting and mysticism no questioning that.

18. Ambidexter

Ambidexter Edjumacated Idjit

Mysticism is good if you're spiritual and going straight for Hinduism or Buddhism*. Since I like to play Asoka because of the Fast Worker UU, I'm used to being spiritual. Plus the no anarchy is nice.

*I always go for Hinduism because the AI always seems to get Buddhism one turn before I'd get it.

19. GGracchus

GGracchus Tribune of Rome

Another example of synergy is a ton of riverside and you have wheel/agr for pottery and cottages.

20. Ataxerxes

Ataxerxes Deity

I don't think going straight for a religion is the best play. Asoka is a very strong leader but even with him I wouldn't go for a religion (partly dependent on map size). Having a religion in my cities makes it much less likely for me to get a religion spread from my neighbors, which is what I want. A number of the AI's, Izzy especially, seem to spam missionaries. You lose having a shrine, but you gain in having a friend. Diplo is soo important in this game. The earliest religion I might found is from Code of Laws. I like Organized Religion but Monotheism seems to be a tech the AI will trade even if it's a monopoly tech.

The higher up you go in levels the harder it is to found an early religion anyway. And it's good to practice your diplo skills which is much more valuable. Although on huge maps, I can see the value of founding a religion. It'll probably spread enough on its' own and it'll take forever to get one.