1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Tank of WW2

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Zardnaar, Nov 25, 2019.

1. Commodore

Commodore Deity

Still, although it may not be the best tank ever produced, it was still pretty good for what it was supposed to be: something to at least attempt to match Japanese armor without having to rely on foreign imports that may or may not be available in the event of an invasion.

The psychological aspect of such a tank shouldn't be forgotten either. Willing to convert fleets of tractors into tanks would send a message to the Japanese that New Zealand wouldn't go down without a fight and victory wouldn't come easy for the Japanese.

2. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

they had 3 in Kelly's Heroes, unless 2 were mock ups and 1 was used for battle scenes

Spoiler :
    Kelly, Big Joe and Oddball convinced the german tank commander to shoot a hole in the bank's front door when their 3 Shermans were out of action

And I think they had a Tiger 1 in Saving Private Ryan, they might have had one of those mobile 88 flak guns with the sides that fold down to give the crew more room

3. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Fury had an actual Tiger, other movies had then via mock ups etc.

What I read could be wrong though so I'm not 100% sure.

4. Phrossack

Phrossack Armored Fish and Armored Men

All of these were T-34s mocked up to resemble Tigers, IIRC.

5. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Na we didn't have that many tractors it was mostly a propaganda thing. I think we kept a division in the country in case if invasion but most troops were sent to the middle East.
    I think we mobilised 120k troops in 4 divisions and I don't think the 4th saw combat.

We had no industry to make tanks, there was a bren gun factory and some other rifle factories.

Invading NZ would be a big pain though with guerilla warfare. The terrain is very rugged in parts and American troops were also based here sour assuming the Japanese got here they would be a very long way from home and even if they win NZ is worth nothing even as a farm without oil imports which they couldn't supply. You would only need to occupy 3 or 4 cities back then to shut the country down.

My grandparents had a bolt holes in the hills though. They believed the Japanese would murder them. Native bush, no beaches.

https://www.newzealand.com/int/marlborough-sounds/

Cutlass likes this.
  6. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

Not only did Stalin end up killing the designer of the T-34, Stalin also held back numerous upgrades and corrections
    The storage of ammo in unprotected racks in the rear turret of the T34 resulted in exploding and fatal crew losses. The Soviets pretty much identify the problem like the Sherman had but refused to invest resources to correct it. Wet ammo and shielded racks. It was to keep production numbers high but the terriable cost in deaths of crews. Stalin of course considered the crews expendable.

Poor vision, exhaust bleaching smoke giving away its position form miles away, poor gun optics and cramped leading to poor crew performance.

Its not a bad tank, I imagine that if the designer wasnt killed the T34 might have been improved much earlier.

7. Phrossack

Phrossack Armored Fish and Armored Men

The T-34M promised upgrades to crew workload, ammunition storage, range, and a lot of other features not directly connected to firepower, armor,and mobility. Unfortunately the outbreak of the war meant that quantity had to take priority over quality, which was the right move. It would have taken too long to produce enough T-34Ms to matter, whereas the earlier model was already in production. Things came too close for the Soviet Union as it was.

8. FriendlyFire

Yeah but a lot of that was the fault of Stalin, the non aggression pact paving the way for Germany to start a one front war, the war materials, the pruges, the ignoring intell, the soviet army getting caught unawares
    Even the disaterous Winter war and the complete lose of 150K in soviet casualties which revealed to Hitler the terriable state of the Red army.

9. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

I'm kind of bummed to learn those weren't real tigers, they sure looked the part. Better I suppose than using 50s Patton tanks from the Spanish army for the movie Patton

the coolest looking tank is the Jagdpanther tank destroyer, no turret and an 88 for a gun

10. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Lol Fury is the first movie with a real Tiger;).

Saving Private Ryan also did the T-34 mock up.

11. CurtSibling

CurtSibling ENEMY ACE™ SLeague Staff Supporter

Great looking movies, however the tactics displayed by the Germans makes them look like they are all on meth.

12. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

To be fair a few of them were basically on meth. They issued amphetamines to the troops.

bernie14 likes this.
  13. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

I read somewhere that Rommel was known as "The Crystal Fox"

14. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

It was called Pervitin.

15. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

Right, the Sherman needs to be understood in the context of US Army doctrine at the time, which still considered the Tank Destroyer and the AT gun the main anti-tank weapons. I think someone above already mentioned that the Sherman wasn't designed for tank-on-tank actions, but if you want to compare Panthers and T-34s to an American vehicle, a better comparison might be the M10 & M18 GMCs - the Wolverine and the Hellcat (and the Wolverine was built on the Sherman chassis, as was the later M36 TD with the 90mm gun). And Hellcats ripped the [stuffing] out of German Panthers. The Sherman's utility and adaptability shouldn't be overlooked, either, although a large part of that was the inventiveness of the men and the US Army being flexible enough to try new things, on the fly (which didn't always work great, like the floating Shermans for beach landings).

Phrossack likes this.
  16. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Hellcat was a funny design. Fast, sod all armor, would probably be great in Russia on the offensive.

17. FriendlyFire

........... Lack of armour makes the Hellcat extremly vulrenable, even Anti tank rifles, fighter cannon fire, anti aircraft cannons, 20mm cannons on armoured cars.
    Hellcats are pretty much mobile anti tank guns and should be used on the defensive.

18. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

That speed though on the flat......

19. Commodore

Commodore Deity

Isn't that because there is only one functional Tiger left in the entire world? I remember seeing that in a YouTube video that was talking about why they don't use real WW2 tanks for WW2 movies.

20. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

I think there's more than 1 but it's the only one they could get their hands on.