1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Best tank?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by The Godfather, Mar 26, 2003.

1. CurtSibling

CurtSibling ENEMY ACE™ SLeague Staff Supporter

I think we all love our homegrown tanks!

And so do I!

Tanks rule. (when gunships aren't around.)

2. Kentonio

Kentonio Monkey Lord of Civ III

:D :D :D

What a fabulous idea! First to 30 frags gets Baghdad! :D :D

PS, Gotta be the Challenger II btw. ;)

3. WonderStuFF

WonderStuFF Chieftain

One correction there ellie...It's the British challenger2 that uses chobham armour.
    To put it simply....
    The German Leopard2 is the fastest
    The Challenger2 is the most heavily armoured,Hence the heaviest tank.
    The Leclerc uses the biggest gun.
    The Abrams is a superb tank with no massive advantages over the others but also has no weaknesses.

As the Germans proved in WW2 a lot depends on how you use them and the quality of your'e crew.

Other factors in assessing a tank.Other than the ones mentioned.

Vertical obstacle height..ie to climb.
    Trench crossing length..ie how wide.
    Road and terrain speed.
    Rate of fire.
    Munitions used.
    Range..ie from a fuel perspective.
    Engine and gearbox packs..and how rapidly they can be changed.
    I can't remember the others off the top of my head and my tech manuals are packed away ready to move 8(

The Merkava 4 Israeli tank is also superb and has been put together using the Israeli militaries experience in their theatre.I also think it has a front mounted engine for extra protection.

I don't think you can proclaim one to be the best as all mbt's
    Use Munitions,targetting systems etc of a very high standard.
    Like i said earlier its more to do with the crew.
    WS~

P.s Yes ellie you are correct in saying the C2 is the only modern battle tank that has a rifled barrel though that has little effect on velocity.
    Fuel ecconomy has never really been an issue with tank designers.

4. Panda

Panda Metal head

Sorry for not expressing myself properly. :o

Yes, currently the MBT of the Finnish army is the T-72, but the last I read was that the deal on purchasing Leopard 2's from the Bundeswehr was certain... They didn't cancel that, now did they? :confused:

I don't believe even our politicians could be so stupid as to purchase Leo 1's... No tanks, yes, but MBTs from the 60's to replace MBTs from the 70's? :ack:

5. Panda

Panda Metal head

Here's the beauty :)

6. Mikoyan

Mikoyan Digimortal

Our version, Stridsvagn 122, with upgraded armour is superior. :mwaha: ;)

I think that our crappy new defense minister has decided to destroy some of the base variant tanks. :o

7. Sh3kel

Sh3kel Emperor

The Merkavah Mk. 4 is a close match for the Leopard II - it's slightly wider and a bit taller, which makes for a bigger target profile, but it also allows a bigger engine to be housed.
    Another great feature of the Merkavah Mk. 4 is that it is built with crew survival in mind - it is currently the only tank in the world to place the engine BEFORE the driver, which gives the crew a bigger chance of survival (the engine takes the shell). It also has a good fording distance (1.5 meters) and standard armament, with rather heavy armor considering it's weight (62 tons combat ready).

8. IceBlaZe

IceBlaZe Atheist Proselytizer

Incorrect... Speed is relative for each Terrain. The Merkavah, for example, is the only tank in the world capable of a fast handling of Basalt Boulders, and it's speed in the Desert is at least as good as the Leopard and M1A2.

Again incorrect... Merkavah is heavier, and you can't compare the armouring since the armour of the Merkavah is confidential.
    Trust me though, it is very strong and advanced - and the only one modular aswell.

Incorrect again. The newer Leopard models have the biggest gun, but the most precise weapon system (which is what counts, to be frank, since ALL modern tanks we talk about are capable of firing the same rounds) is the Merkavah.

If it didn't have any weaknesses, it would win, since every tank has a weakness of some sort comparing to the imaginary "Perfect tank". Hence, Abrams has weaknesses aswell. The fact you do not know those, does not mean they cease to exist.

100% Agreed! :goodjob:
    "The man in the tank will win"

All are pretty much similiar in all Modern tanks we talk about, except for Munitions used. Currently, Merkavah has the only proven guided munitions (capable of bringing down helicopters).
    Believe me, the Merkava has so much abilities you wouldn't believe it... But most of them are confidential.

Yes it does.

When assesing a tank, we persume the crew using the tank is flawless.

9. SSG Paul

SSG Paul Warlord

This is a cool thread, and very interesting. Could I keep this going if I started another thread (or anyone), about attack helo's, destroyers, SAM's etc...? Seems as though some people are rather knowledgeable, though a bit homeristic.

10. anarchywrksbest

anarchywrksbest Deity

Vickers Challenger II :yeah:

11. WonderStuFF

WonderStuFF Chieftain

IceBlaze...i take your points..
    My laying out of my post was poor as i sought to deal with The US/European tanks first and thats why i left the Merkava4 Until last.My quotes should have reflected this but i agree did not.
    Yes the speed is relative to terrain.The figures i have will not have been tested on all terrain but were given as a general figure.Thats why i said 'to put it simply'.
    "The abrams has no weaknesses" was mean't in relation to the other tanks i mentioned and not as a general statement.

"When assessing tanks we presume the crew using the tank is flawless"..Agreed.
    It should also take into account the role the country has devised for it as well as any terrain etc it was specifically designed for.

Good post IceBlaze.I'll look for some updated info on what i have here......
    WS~

12. D' Artagnan

D' Artagnan Mousquetaire du Roi

Go Leclerc ! :yeah:

13. WonderStuFF

WonderStuFF Chieftain

If i was going to buy a second hand tank i would go for the Leclerc.
    It will have by far the least miles on the clock and definetley be the cleanest 8D.
    Whoa.......................J/K...

WS~

14. Dark Ascendant

Dark Ascendant Darkness Ascending...

cool, yes. But its armor is not.

15. SunTzu

SunTzu Hooah Retired Moderator

I will have to say the Abrham since it has the most battle testing, its funny seeing an Abrham hit an Iraqi T-72, the damn turret flies up to 100 feet into the air :goodjob:

16. nihilistic

nihilistic Intergalatic Delivery Boy

You may delude yourself with your illusions of grandeur, but we all know that the most compact, most powerful, and most economically sound tanks are these. :p

17. G-Man

G-Man A One Man's War

Asking what the best tank isn't different than asking what the best plane is. Each one is designed for different purposes and it fits best to these missions. The Merkava for example is built with the thought that most of it's missions will be against guerilla fighters and terrorists, so it has thick armour from all sides, including the bottom (where an explosive charge might hit it). It has very high accuracy, the explosion radius is relatively small and the crew is well protected. On the other hand it has less impressing fire power and engine. A Merkava won't do as good as the Abrams in a war like Iraq, and ceertainly not in a large scale armor battle, and an Abrams won't do as good as the merkava against guerilla fighters.

18. Furry Spatula

Furry Spatula ...

How much do these tanks all cost. B/C i wouldn't mind buying myself one :lol:. Damn those things look nice. I don't think I'd have to worry about roadrage if i had one of those.

19. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

Let's say... You won't go fast. But you surely will NEVER slow down, and certainly not for some petty traffic jam :D

20. vonork

vonork Emperor

And that was proven by a stolen Tank in the US... now ain't that a fun carchase to watch :)