Best use for Great General?

plonzo

Chieftain
Fighting succesfully gives you Great Generals. Haven't found out yet how to use them best. Make military academies, turning into a warlord, or make him military advisor. Any thoughts?

after the patch, the military academies are going to be MUCH more attractive.

right now, however, I invariably just make them into warlords - attached to my best unit in a small stack of the best units I have to spread the experience around a bit - but not too thinly.

i always use one for an attachment so i can get a level 6 unit for westpoint, but after that, it depends

The first is used for a Medic 3 Warlord, the others join the HE city as instructors or are attached to high level units, so I can upgrade without losing exp.
Now with the patch I might build a military academy or two. They are better, and I'll be getting more Generals on Epic.

The first I use to attach to an unit to get that 6th Level. I might change that with the patch and go for the military academy first. Second was MA in my best production city. All others become instructors in that city. Nothing like producing 17XP units in the later stages of a game.

Don't forget that despite the boost to the Military Academy, you now have to research Education before you can build it.

I go for:

1st - Instructor (+2ex new units) highest production city.
2nd - Warlord ( ready to get the Heroic Epic).
3rd + 4th Mititary Academies in top two cities.
5th + Instructors in MA cities.

Loki cdn said:
The first I use to attach to an unit to get that 6th Level. I might change that with the patch and go for the military academy first. Second was MA in my best production city. All others become instructors in that city. Nothing like producing 17XP units in the later stages of a game.

I've done better. Played as Cyrus and got 11 GG in the whole game. By the end, my capitol could pump out tanks with commando.

Lord Olleus said:
I've done better. Played as Cyrus and got 11 GG in the whole game. By the end, my capitol could pump out tanks with commando.

What level was that on?

A military instructor gives 2 XP to every unit built in the city. It can also give you the 3 beakers if you run representation or 2 culture if you have the Sistine Chapel. You can have multiple instructors in one city.

A military academy gives you a 50% bonus to production when building military units. It also gives 3 culture. You can only have one military academy in each city.

tiznoast said:
right now, however, I invariably just make them into warlords - attached to my best unit in a small stack of the best units I have to spread the experience around a bit - but not too thinly.
Take your best unit out of that square and attach the GG there instead, that way you won't have to spread the experience around at all.

The problem with settling my GGs is that I always get the first few before I have the tech for the military academy (Education). That leaves the only choices as the military instructor (+2 exp) and the Warlord (unit). Of course, the military instructor wins out 9 times out of 10.

Rather than attach a Warlord to the best unit, sometimes I will attach him to the early Warrior that maxed out experience killing barbs (@10xp) so he can upgrade for free to Maceman or better. Otherwise, he would just spend most of the game being a happiness reducer deep in my territory. It's a cheap way to get that one extra combat unit (it's cheaper to replace a defensive unit than a combat unit). You never know, it might be that unit that takes that city one turn earlier than otherwise, saving someone else who would have had to suicide into the reinforcements (not to mention the power points you get from the more modern unit). It doesn't make as much sense if the low tech unit didn't have experience of course.

It's giving up a military instructor or academy, though, so it's more for fun than a real advantage.

Panda said:
What level was that on?

Prince, normal speed, pangea, standard size.

Imperialistic owns.

Medic 3 promotion first off for a two-movement unit. After that, it depends on how far ranging my warfare becomes. I might need a second Medic 3.

Medic 3 on a 2 movement unit... :hmm: that. :o might. :) work. :D

Wow, you're a genius. I need to try that tonight. Attack mode ON!

Early in the game, only barracks gives mil bonus(+3xp or 1 promotion). So have a single instructor means you can produce +1 level unit(+5xp or 2 promotions) in that city. That makes a HUGE difference when everything is so scarce. They give such boost to the quality of your forces. So I always settle the first 2 GGs in my 2 most productive cities early.

After you get education, run some calculations on your HE city, if adding a MA will mean producing 1 knight per turn Vs. 1 knight every 2 turns, DEFINITELY build that MA.

Warlord unit is fun though. After I have couple of instructors, i would assigned the 3rd GG to a mounted unit, get flanking I&II + tactics+leadership and go kick ass.

Top Bottom