1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Best UUs in ciV

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Babri, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Babri

Babri Emperor

I think that Keshliks are the best UU because they are super-mobile & can kill units without taking any damage. They also gain XP quickly which means that you can get march promotion more quickly to make them even more deadly. So what other UUs you think can be considered the best ones ? Any specific strategy you use ?

2. Save_Ferris

Save_Ferris Admiring Myself

I love Ship of the Line and Longbowmen. England is just a good civ in general.
    Hoplites are also good.

3. Babri

Babri Emperor

Yeah ! Longbows are quite strong. Don't remember about Ship of Line. What is their special ability over Frigates ?

4. Catastrophe90

Catastrophe90 Warlord

I'm slightly biased towards Ranged units since I'm a defensive player, but eh.

Personal Top 3:
    - Longbowmen: Basically, the English get artillery at Machinery instead of Dynamite. It is awesome.
    - CKNs: They fire twice. Yeah.
    - Companion Cavalry: They still got it.

Honorary Mentions:
    - Janissaries: Pretty much unkillable when supported. Brutal on the offensive. A shame that they're Musketmen though...
    - Legions: I like my roads. And not having to drag a train of Workers behind my army to build them is cool IMO.
    - Immortals: Double Healing is nice. Plus the +1 Movement with the Persian UA makes them pretty special.

5. Beef Hammer

Beef Hammer Warlord

Personally I'm loving my samurai atm, been messing around with Japan lately.

6. ColinTH

ColinTH Prince

Ship of the Line - Extra movement and extra firepower.

Longbowmen are awesome. I also love legions because they can build roads!

7. jojorah

jojorah Prince

I agree about the keshiks, on multiplayer expecialy they cuase alot of greef, doubled up with the khan general from honer, well thats like cheating!

My most successful campains come from the cho_cu-nu and the camel archer. I all so like japans uu

8. General Tso

General Tso Panzer General

My favorite is the minuteman, but not necessarily for immediate use right after I build them. I build the largest force of minutemen possible. Then I make a beeline for electronics so that I can upgrade them to mechanized infantry. With a large force of all terrain infantry that has 4 moves along with some artillery or better yet rocket artillery, the work is mine.

9. Strategist83

Strategist83 King

This is the same reason why UU's people don't like much are in fact incredibly good. The Janissary which was mentioned as only 'good' for being a musketman is probably instead 'amazing' because of this. Ottomans can research Gunpowder, create a LOT of Janissaries then beeline Rifling. Because Ottomans are in Civ5 a warmonger civ due to their unique ability and units, they are inherently strong with Honor which means it it highly likely they will have the Professional Army policy at this point and can inexpensively upgrade their huge Janissary force into Riflemen as soon as the tech becomes available. The result? Having vastly superior Riflemen, perhaps before anyone else has the tech (less warlike civs are likely to research Rifling later). Just incredibly powerful.

Basically any civ which has a relatively early unit which can be upgraded and carry over the special promotion is a beast. The earlier the unit, the better. Rome is sadly lacking in this regard because their UU simply have superior base strength. Quite the design mistake there IMO but I guess they had a different vision for Rome than I do (I believe Rome should be able to field a powerful military throughout the game and not just during the classical era).

10. Babri

Babri Emperor

The problem is that most people can't wait that long. They want to steamroll as soon as they create their 'Amazing UUs'. ;)

11. TM Moot

TM Moot King

Not the way I see it!

Beeline Ironworking, knock out a few Legions and a Ballista or two, and go conquering/puppeting.

Once you have enough cities/land, grow vertically utilising the Roman UA.

Game won. ;)

12. ColinTH

ColinTH Prince

Unfortunately, playing immortal or Deity, you cannot wait that long. I wish it could be possible, unfortunately by the time I reach renaisance I am to out teched to reap the benefits of units produced in that era.

I employ TM Moot's strategy on a pangea map.

13. wcbarney

wcbarney Know-it-all

While my favorite/best civ is America, I usually pass on the Minuteman. Yeah, I do like its all-terrain ability, but at the time it's available the Minuteman is still weaker than the Longswordsman. Oh, I will build a few of them, but by the time I get to my favorite UU, the B-17, I prefer to use Paratroopers rather than Mechanized Infantry as my ground troops.

My favorite UU across all civs is the B-17. She is born with two promotions already (Siege 1 and Evasion). After only a couple of engagements (10 XP) she gets the Siege 2 promotion, and after a few more engagements (30 XP) I always choose the Air-repair promotion (auto-repair). Now she's a pretty lethal war machine. The next promotion will be Siege 3 (triple attack bonus against cities), and then Logistics (double attack). After a couple of dozen engagements (about 280 XP) she will have Siege 1, 2 & 3 (triple attack bonus against cities), Bombardment 1, 2 & 3 (triple attack bonus against ground units), plus Air Repair & Logistics. Then I upgrade this super B-17 to a super-stealth bomber. I have conquered entire continents with only five of these super-stealths, plus a few ground troops that can barely keep up, in only 10-15 turns. For gate-crashing ground troops I prefer Paratroopers, but Mechanized Infantry units are my 2nd choice. All other ground troops, including rocket artillery, are used as garrison troops. Prior to the March patch I would use helicopter gunships as my only front-line ground troops because, even though the Civilopedia said they couldn't conquer cities, they could. Now, post-patch, they can't.:sad: Yeah, I used to grow about 5 or 6 of them from unpromoted 45-XP Lancers. Now I hardly bother with gunships.

14. Tabarnak

Tabarnak Cut your lousy hairs!

Yeah baby! In multiplayer, bring 6-8 of them with some melee in front...

...and upgrade them to rifles after promoting them to level 2 rough and open promos. That's it, they can attack twice now! :king:

15. sharkles

sharkles Chieftain

I am really enjoying Germany's panzers in my current game, but my all time favorite is still Arabia's camel archers... as they have been since Civ 4.

Edit: Yeah so I guess panzers have a lifespan of about 15 turns before they go obsolete, especially when you're going for science victory. I am disappoint.

16. Stormbolt

Stormbolt Chieftain

Longbowmen and Repeating Crossbows. They're effective, ranged, and require no resources to build.

17. PRCouture

PRCouture Chieftain

I prefer the Roman Empire, generally rushing minimally 3 wonders before i construct my armies.
    I've easily conquered three civs during the Classical Age with the incredibly suprematical advantage of the Roman Legionnaires and their buddies, the Ballistas. Play smart & strategically, and you could take out a civ with longswordsmen & crossbowmen with legionnaires and ballistas.

18. Revoran

Revoran Prince

Top Tier:
    Keshiks - ranged mobility ftw, extra great general generation pairs nicely with Mongolia's other UU.
    Samurai - tough unit that produces extra great generals is always nice, combined swith japanese ability this unit can be used for kamikaze attacks even when vastly out tech'd
    Chu Ko Nu - double the attacks virtually doubles the damage your army can do
    Narusan's elephant - much stronger than anything else in it's era, huge bonus vs mounted (the unit it replaces is the mounted knight). doesn't require horses unlike the knight. Can even be used extremely well against renaissance era mounted units.
    Longbowman - incredible range, what else can i say?
    Ship of the Line - only naval UU makes this a great UU - your rule of the sea will be uncontested, i would put this lower due to pangaea maps, but who the hell picks England and then picks pangaea?
    Janissary - healing when destroying another unit is incredibly good, allows you to save promotions for really important things, Riflemen upgraded from these are great
    Companion Cavalry - Yup, still got it (even since the horseman/mounted nerf)

Good tier:
    Hoplites - bloody strong, straightforward unit
    Legion - road building and extra strength for the win
    Babylonian Bowman - great early boost to an otherwise non-military civ, bowmen being defense focused helps
    Landschnekt - supremely spammable.
    Mowhawk Warrior - When this unit arrives there is still usually a lot of forest on the map especially given the Iroquois start bias, complements them nicely
    Khan - great synergy with the Keshik, these two make Mongolia a medieval era power civ. The fact it's not a fighting unit is a strike against it.
    Tercio - stronger Musketmen with the bonuses of pikemen and none of the inherent weaknesses of musketmen (to cavalry). What's not to like? Not sure if they keep the +100% vs mounted when upgraded, if not they may get moved down a bit.
    Jaguar Warrior - Great bonuses in jungle (aztec start bias) and when killing units which carry on when upgraded, making this early unit worth making despite its early entry. Plus you get a free one at the start of the game.
    Mandekalu Cavalry - The only mounted unit with an actual bonus vs cities, combined with the Songhai ability this is a good combination (MOAR gold), these guys actually do pretty well vs cities even walled ones.
    B17 - Bombers become pivotal if you have air control late game, and the B17 is very good at what it does.

Mid tier:
    Panzer - In itself a very good unit but Modern Infantry are just so much better to go for - tech tree needs rearranging to make these (and tanks) more useful. It doesn't make sense that you can get Mechanized Infantry without first researching Tanks and Infantry.
    Maori Warrior - I guess these guys have yet to prove themselves, they also come very early before much warfare happens, their haka bonus is kept when leveling up though which is cool and you get a free one at the start of the game.
    Ballista - A good unit to back up your legions, but weak to cavalry and it competes with your Legions for precious iron.
    Cossack - Virtually the same as the Cavalry but with a nice bonus on flat ground. Comes a little late (mounted units will soon be mostly obsolete by the advent of artillery and armor). At the very least Russia's good ability ensures you won't run out of horses for these guys and Russia's Krepost means he will probably have a free promotion. This unit could do with a little boost (nothing huge).

Crap tier:
    Slingers - a very meh unit, at least the Incas have other great abilities to make up for this unit. I realise the devs were probably struggling here for a historical UU
    Zero - Not a completely horrible unit, but it comes way too late and has a bonus vs helicopters and other fighters when it would be better (though less historical) to have a bonus vs bombers. Japan's awesome ability (top 5 in the game) and other UU which is also very good make up for this luckily. Another idea would be to give it a 100% bonus vs naval units to simulate Kamikaze attacks.
    War Elephant - Probably the most useful of all these, bordering mid tier. This unit's strength makes no sense compared to Narusan's elephant which is a beast. Horsemen come soon after. Not a whole lot of people build chariots anyway, at least this guys doesn't cost you any horses. On the plus side it's a lot more durable than the horse archer and doesnt have the weakness of the wheeled unit.
    War Chariot - similar deal to above.

<<As yet unrated>>
    Minuteman
    Foreign Legion
    Musketeer
    Camel Archer
    Immortal
    Sipahi
    Conquistador

----------------------------------

Any suggestions/dissagreements guys? The newer DLC units (particularly spain's) are a bit unproven. How do you guys find them?

19. Babri

Babri Emperor

You forgot to include Zero in Crap tier. :D

20. wcbarney

wcbarney Know-it-all

I think the Aztec Jaguar should be at least in the Mid tier. I also think that my all-time favorite, the B-17, should be in the Good tier.