[vanilla] Best Vanilla Civ

What is the best vanilla civilization in Civ5 to play as?

• India

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • America

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Arabia

• The Aztecs

• China

• England

• Egypt

• France

• Japan

• Siam

• Greece

• Germany

• The Iroquois

• Poland

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • The Ottomans

• Japan

• Rome

• Russia

• Songhai

• Persia

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WDVINCO

Chieftain
What's the best civilization to play as, for a newcomer or inexperienced player, in Civ5?

Also, I accidentally put Poland in there so you can just ignore it since its part of the BNW expansion.

Votes toward it will not be counted.

Last edited:
I haven't been playing the vanilla game for long, & three I have found that suit my playstyles are in no particular order.
Alexander (Greece) - Can be good in a dominating game with their Hoplites & Companion Cavalry early on & also have great advantages when dealing with City-States, which can build up your cities & help with a diplomatic victory.
Elizabeth ( England) is good if you play on islands (archipelagos) with her Ship of the Lines & increased naval movement. Also their longbows can be very effective as can fire three squares away, & have to wait until artillery for any other unit to do that.
Ram (Siam) - I found these highly effective & always a nuisance if one of the other civilisations in your game. Have a good elephant unit, & an update on universities (Wat). Leader also gains +50% resources gained from city states you have allied or friendly with. The increased food alone can really build up your cites & don't have to concentrate building farms so much.

These are my favourites so far, but I expect others who are more experienced may know of other ones that are superior.

If you can afford it, buy all expansions/DLCs. The game is so much better with all of the features.

Poland, China, Arabia are all great and support a variety of win conditions.

I think England is best, but not without spies.

I voted Aztecs. Great for a quick domination game, great for a cultural win. You can even go super aggro early then win by culture.

I've always been a fan of Persia, personally. I like those Golden Ages.

Top Bottom