1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Best warmonger civs for peaceful victory?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by PlayAsPericles, Aug 11, 2018.

1. PlayAsPericles

PlayAsPericles Chieftain

I generally always go for either a cultural or science victory with science the more predominant victory I try to achieve as it requires less foresight and planning than cultural IMHO. But as a result i play a lot of the same civs over and over and over again which gets kinda boring. I think I've started one war the entire time I have played civ 6 but want to try a new civ. So what is people's opinion of a typical warmonger civ that would do well with my normally totally peaceful playstyle game? Either cultural or sciene is ok. Oh and Gorjo is off the table as she is a warmonger civ with a cultural bent that really requires warmongering to get the most out of the cultural aspect. Any feedback is much appreciated.

2. MarigoldRan

MarigoldRan WARLORD

Aztecs or Gilgamesh.

3. Halcyan2

Halcyan2 Emperor

Agreed. Both have strong early game units that let you warmonger when the warmongering penalty is minimal. And then you can settle into a peaceful game later on.

Aztecs get a combat boost with luxuries, which can serve you defensively. They also let you quickly build districts.

Sumerians have a science advantage with ziggurats and you can reap a lot of rewards by taking barbarian camps.

4. marcopolothefraud

marcopolothefraud Chieftain

Persia - the UI provides 2 appeal to adjacent tiles, useful for Seaside Resorts and National Parks for Cultural Victory.
    Rome - the LA provides a free monument in all cities, the UA provides roads and extra gold for trade routes, and the UD is a buffed Aqueduct - so you can use it for either Cultural or Science fantastically well.

5. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Nubia: Big bonus to building districts, no trouble defending itself
    Rome: Free monuments and roads help early expansion, baths help tall cities

6. Haig

Haig Deity

Gilgamesh of Sumeria gives strong science and can easily conquer a neighbor in early eras or fend off a surprise attack.

Germany and Japan are great for getting strong industrial bases and are strong at warfare as well. Also both are very fun to play!

There's also a popular mod civ called 'Der Fuhrer' if you want a new warmonger... ;)

7. The googles do nothing

The googles do nothing Prince

Norway's Knarr ability allows you to explore and settle lots of coast line on multiple continents or settle near natural wonders. If you get seaside resorts and natural parks and trade routes to all the civs you can win a cultural victory. Focus on harbors first to get the admirals that give loyalty.

Edit: I don't know if it could be done on higher difficult because the ai expands so fast. Maybe on a large map it could be done.

8. Phrozen

Phrozen King

Really, the only two civs that are specifically geared for conquest only are Zulu and Mongolia. All the other warmonger civs have alternate victory conditions through their uniques and abilities. For example, Persia is a good cultural victory civ for example.

9. liv

liv Emperor

Gorgo does not require war to be awesome. You can kill barbarians for the early boosts to culture and get up the acropolis very fast to monopolize all the great writers and win a culture game. The killing for culture gets somewhat irrelevant early but those first boosts are very significant and barbarians will do.

10. LoneDragon

LoneDragon Warlord

Ummm...Macedon?

11. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

Really anybody with an ancient or classical UU that you can use to hyper-expand early on while you can get away with very minimal warmonger penalties. Then once you hit medieval you can pick a VC, generally science or culture and focus on that.

My fave would be the Aztecs. The ancient UU will help you build an empire with zero warmonger penalty and the free workers massively improve infrastructure which impacts everything else.

12. Jekkusormi

Jekkusormi Chieftain

Definetely not the best but Mongols get achievement for Cultural Victory

blackcatatonic likes this.
  13. PlayAsPericles

PlayAsPericles Chieftain

thanks for all the replies. Gave me some good stuff to think on.

14. Phrozen

Phrozen King

Get a bonus to science for producing units plus eurekas and inspirations for taking cities. You don't have to keep the city, you can give it back in the peace treaty. You can play Macedon as a science civ, it is not their best victory strategy but they do have bonuses towards it.

15. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

Any civ that has access to spies.

(I said it before).

16. Softly

Softly Warlord

Macedonia. The Basilikoi Paides is an absolutely insane UB if used correctly. Here is some math of just one example. Ancient/Classical Era 16 prod/turn Capital, 3 envoy Militaristic City State, +100% Naval Production Card, God of the Forge. Comes out to 11.25 science/turn, almost as much as 6 libraries and that's just from one city. You can use all the galleys to draw a giant d*** in the middle of the ocean for all it matters, they are just a byproduct of the science. I have no doubt you'll be able to win a peaceful science victory without building a single campus.

Kmart_Elvis and MarigoldRan like this.
  17. PlayAsPericles

PlayAsPericles Chieftain

Always get some nice insights on threads like these on different strategy. Thanks again to all.

Oh and a shoutout to Aristos as that extended diplomacy ribbon rocks as a mod!!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2018
  18. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Brickhead

Now let's do best peaceful civs for Domination Victory. If Ghandi attacks you with war elephants that's double war weariness for every unit you lose!

Socrates99 likes this.
  19. Phrozen

Phrozen King

America's +5 home continent combat bonus is strong particularly in the ancient era.
    Cree's early bonus production and early trade routes can lead to a snowball domination victory.

20. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Blackpilled Idealist

Nobody brought up Scythia ?
    The bonuses look like they're only suited for warmongering, but the combat bonus against wounded units and the heal upon victory also applies to theological combat.
    They're the perfect civ for a religion victory.

Socrates99 likes this.