Best warriors in history?

Best warriors in history?

• the Mongols

Votes: 28 40.6%
  • the Romans

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • the Arabs

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • the Turks, Turkomans or other Turkic people (could include the Huns)

Votes: 5 7.2%
  • the supposed "Indo-Europeans"

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • the early German[ic]s (this would include Goths, Vandals, Franks, Vikings, etc)

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • the Iranians (i.e. the Persians and their ilk)

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • modern/early modern Europeans

Votes: 11 15.9%
  • the supposed "Sea Peoples"

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Other

Votes: 15 21.7%

• Total voters
King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table...for shame!

Here's my lit but it is broken down into ages
Ancient:Roman Legion (flexible, highly trained and motivated)
Medieval:Chengiz Khan and the Mongols tied with the Japanese Samurai (CK for his sheer aggression and tactics, Samurai for their indi skill)

Modern Ages:ISraeli Army( need I say more!;))

The Vikings - Their flat ship sailed up rivers were no one else could follow them by sea, they attacked and pillaged before any heavy resistance could be gathered. Superior!:goodjob:

Interesting the way this thread twisted and turned (fascinating discussion about the Far Eastern wars, bravo gentlemen).

Best warriors: the Mongols, hands-down. Despite referring to their armies as "hordes," in every campaign the Mongols were OUTNUMBERED by their opponents, sometimes as much as three to one. In standard military thinking, you can expect a successful attack if you outnumber your opponent by three to one. They were incredible individual warriors, but they outactually outdid the vaunted Romans and Spartans when it came to discipline, tactics and the operational arts. They were pre-eminent in their use of fire and movement, seeking out weak spots, etc. They were the panzer divisions of their day, and as has been pointed out, created the largest by land area empire in the history of the world -- think the entire Soviet Union, Iran, most of China and almost all of Eastern Europe.

During their time, their only potential equal were the cataphracts of the Byzantine Empire.

How on earth could a poll like this not include the spartans?.

Miltary service from 5, held of troops against incredible odds etc

Ellie

Oh one last comment.
Most rharshly trained and selected unit in the world atm is the SAS. Of course there are only 150 of them (50 always based in hereford) but they are the best.

I believein afghanistan they became the first non american troops to recieve their highest award, a small group of american troops were pinned down from above.
The sas patrol scaled a larger mounain and laid down enough fire from above to convince the attackers a large force had hit them.

Hmm id magine outside of the UK noone has even heard of them ;p

Ellie

Hell yeah Ellie i'll second that motion. ;)

For a soldier to be considered for the SAS they must have served a minimum of 3 years in the regular army at which point they may apply for what is simply termed 'Selection'. Selection candidates are put through horrific tests of endurance across the mountains of Wales having to complete long, long distances with ever increasing weights in their Bergens in ever shortening timespans. The emphasis is constantly on the candidate to give up, in fact they are constantly encouraged to do so. As the course goes on the sleep patterns of the candidates are broken down with sudden long marches sprung on them sometimes only a couple of hours after they returned from the last march. Selection last 3 weeks, on the final day when the candidates are truly exhausted beyond belief they must march 50 miles in heavy kit in something like 17 hours including climbing the Pen y Fan mountains. Fatalities are not unknown.

Any rank from private to captain may apply for the SAS but NCOs (Corporals and Sergeants) drop back down to trooper rank if they successfully complete selection.

Successful Selection candidates are then send on a rigorous 6 month training program called Continuation including periods learning survuival techniques in the jungles of Borneo. Throught this 6 months any trooper may be removed and returned to their original unit at any time.

These processes frequently start off with around 120 applicants and finish with less than 10 successful troopers. SAS troopers are generally highly intelligent as well as VERY tough and resourcesful individuals who are trained in a bewildering array of skills, most speak at least 2 languages, mamy a lot more.

If you look at the real time situations that this Regiment (Known in the UK military as simply 'The Regiment') have been involved in since their formation during WW2 they have proven themselves time and again in combat situations of all varieties from the storming of the Iranian embassy in London to the legendary tales of endurance they achieved during the last gulf war operating hundreds of miles behind enemy lines.

if you are looking at the best MODERN warriors in the world then I give you the SAS. :)

Kentonio

The English.

FFS! I have seen some sick posts Lurchfang but that has to be up there in the top 3. Big terrorist fan are we? Why dont you add Al Qaeda to your list or Hamas? Theres plenty more groups out there who massacre civilians and kill infants and children without blinking an eyelid. :rant: :mad:

Kentonio

Lurchfang

ive edited this as expressing my opinion on ira supporters broke the forum rules

Ellie

Maybe this has been already said, but I don't think u can compare modern armies and ancient in terms of efficiency (sp)...

So I'd rather classify them by era :

- Ancient : Romans. They were the most sophisticated army at that time. Very well organized

- Medieval : Mongols. Although they didn't last very long ( I'm not sure), they were feared warriors, who conquered ( mostly pillaged) almost all of Asia in a short period of time.

- Renaissance : perhaps the Spanish Armada. I think they have beaten the Aztecs with 50 conquistadores against 30 000 aztec warriors or smthg like that :eek:
I also thought about the amazing Ottomans who took over all of the arab landmass

- Industrial : on a patriotic note :D I would say the French under Napoleon as they managed to conquer all Europe and resist against all European countries plus Russia with an outnumbered army for more than a decade .

- Modern : b4 1945, I'd say it was the Germans. After 1945, the US

aah but the armada met the english fleet and one of the greatest english heroes of all time.

And wellington beat napolean (who i agree was a magnificent tactician)

Ellie

kentonio: no, i am not an terrorist fan, but i think not all organisations called "terrorists" in tv and newspapers are terrorists at all. But the line between freedom fighters and terrorsits is thin.

All: Please accept my apology, an offence where not intented

Originally posted by D' Artagnan
- Renaissance : perhaps the Spanish Armada. I think they have beaten the Aztecs with 50 conquistadores against 30 000 aztec warriors or smthg like that :eek:

Well strictly speaking the Armada was the "invincible Armada", the fleet which in 1588 was defeated by a combination of England and the weather.

The Spanish conquistadors conquered the Aztecs. There were inded very few of them, but they did have the assistance of several billion bacteria - most of the population of central America was wiped out by diseases carried by the Europeans.

kentonio: no, i am not an terrorist fan, but i think not all organisations called "terrorists" in tv and newspapers are terrorists at all. But the line between freedom fighters and terrorsits is thin.

All: Please accept my apology, an offence where not intented

ok no probs, I think that particular debate may have to be held at some point, though it could get a bit overheated quite quickly. ;)

Kentonio

Originally posted by Kentonio
ok no probs, I think that particular debate may have to be held at some point, though it could get a bit overheated quite quickly. ;)
Kentonio

That particular debate has been aired on a number of occasions. Most recently here:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40227&highlight=terrorists+freedom+fighters

and here:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14122&highlight=terrorists+quiz

And yes, it did (get overheated, that is).

________
if you are looking at the best MODERN warriors in the world then I give you the SAS.

Kentonio

Generally nod, but in jungle warfare the ghurkus have proved themselves awesome. Immensly loyal , its no wonder when fighting them the british gre to respect them so much and get them onside instead

Ellie

True, the Ghurkas are indeed phenomenal fighters, I would put the SAS ahead simply because of their ability to perferm amazing acts in nearly ANY climate. Its this versatility that placed them top for me.

Kentonio

Cortéz had 600 men (IIRC) when he conquerred the Aztecs. The Aztecs thought he was a god...:D

Top Bottom