Best Way to Get Indoctrinated?

Halcyan2

Emperor
I've been trying to get the Indoctrinated! achievement for awhile but to no avail. Seems like Missionaries and Great Prophets just don't have any interest in visiting my cities even though it seems a common enough occurrence for other players. What suggestions do you have for getting this achievement (aside from d/l'ing an achievement save)?

I've tried selecting opponents with high Religion values (Boudicca, Pacal, Isabella, Haile, Askia, Harun, Ghandi, Theodora, Montezuma, Hiawatha) so religions actually get founded relatively quickly.

I've tried settling near the other civs and making my non-capital into my Holy City.

I've tried picking beliefs to help "guide" them towards ones that spread their religion.

But none of that seems to encourage visits from Great Prophets or Missionaries!

In addition, I've tried manually converting my holy city but that doesn't work either.

Any other ideas? Thanks.

Well there a couple of ways the way I got it is going and convert them a lot and becoming enemies do holy wars and they be trying to convert you more often and put inquistors in all cities execpt the holy city then only can they convert your holy city and then they leave that's how I did it.

Don't try so hard and it will eventually happen. Ethiopia did it to me in a game were they were a fairly small player in the game. It got them nuked a few times...

What size maps are you playing? Seems obvious, but you're much more likely to suffer this achievement on a smallish map.

Found your religion as late as you can, so that the pressure of other religions will be big enough to indocrinate you. Pangea is best for this I think. Found the religion in a city close to a civ with already strong religion. Dont spread your religion.

keep your eye out for an ememy prophet, DOW and capture it. They retain the original religion. Then use it on your cap yourself.

Best way to get this achievement is to not try for it. Just play normally and eventually some prophet will be eyeing ur holy city and go, hmm, good place for buddhists to spread for celts.

keep your eye out for an ememy prophet, DOW and capture it. They retain the original religion. Then use it on your cap yourself.

I was pretty sure they'd get destroyed, not captured...?

------------

Usually there is one AI per game on medium difficulties that is trying to convert other civs... bound to happen to you some day too. Or just use the savegame for it :goodjob:

Tried this, it doesn't work. If you convert the holy city yourself (with a missionary or great prophet, even if those guys are a different religion), it doesn't count. The computer needs to do it in between turns so you get the red "your city has been converted" message.

Found your religion as late as you can, so that the pressure of other religions will be big enough to indocrinate you. Pangea is best for this I think. Found the religion in a city close to a civ with already strong religion. Dont spread your religion.
I've tried that as well but it didn't work very well. I had a holy city which should have naturally converted due to the insane amounts of pressure from other religions but after a long time, it just wouldn't convert so I abandoned that try.

In theory, it might work though. I actually thought a good approach might be to try an Into the Renaissance game as Austria, Diplomatically Marry the Vatican City, and then beeline Humanism so that the Protestant Reformation can sweep through Europe (and hopefully the Vatican). I actually started a game for this, but decided it would be easier doing a Duel map instead. (I also learned that Into the Renaissance with marrying the Vatican + Aesthetics and Pledging is supreme overpowered, especially since it's not uncommon for 3-5 city states to all want you to wipe out the same barbarian encampment).

Best way to get this achievement is to not try for it. Just play normally and eventually some prophet will be eyeing ur holy city and go, hmm, good place for buddhists to spread for celts.
You would think, but it just doesn't happen that often. I've been playing G&K since it came out and AI's just don't seem to like converting me!

What size maps are you playing? Seems obvious, but you're much more likely to suffer this achievement on a smallish map.
I think this was helpful.

I did (finally) get it. Previously I was trying Standard/Large maps with multiple religions, on the hope that one of the many religions would try to take me over.

Instead, I tried a Duel map (me as Boudicca and AI as Pacal) with no city states, so there was no one to convert but me. Figured that with the Mayans' "8 Religion" value, the Pyramids for faith, Pacal's natural beeline toward Theology, and being able to found/enhance a religion quickly with the Long Count, that he would be a good choice. Still took him a long while to convert me. I even intentionally left him Stonehenge, Great Mosque, and Hagia Sophia to build so he could focus on religion. Ironically enough, he converted my holy city last. I had my capital and my second city far away from him, but built my third city (which I made my holy city) right next to his capital. Still, he send his missionaries far to my first two cities before converting the neighboring holy city.

Glad I've got that achievement over with. Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions!

Tried this, it doesn't work. If you convert the holy city yourself (with a missionary or great prophet, even if those guys are a different religion), it doesn't count. The computer needs to do it in between turns so you get the red "your city has been converted" message.
and I felt so clever....:sad:

I still maintain that based on the wording of the achievement, it should count.

Glad you got it though.

I never wage a religious war so I very rarely saw the AI convert my cities on purpose. (never the capital)

I finally got it by accident while actually trying to convert my capital to buy some buildings and do the Venice achievement.

What you need:
- an inquisitor of a different religion
- a missionary of a different religion
- your holy city with no influence from that religion
- your holy city at an odd population number (13 or 15 should work, 15 if the city has a bit of that religion already)

1. Get a city to follow a far away religion and buy the inquisitor and missionary (either settle that city so it get converted or capture some missionaries from barbarians and convert the city yourself)
2. When you holy city is at 13 or 15 population (and 1 turn away from growth) use the inquisitor on your holy city (its 20 per turn internal religious pressure will go away).
3. Use the missionary to almost convert the city (6 for 13 pop, 7 for 15 pop) - large cities need more than 1000 faith to convert
4. End turn and hopefully the growth will generate one more follower, converting the city (that's how I got it)

The trick is that cities at odd population need more faith to be converted, and might convert after growing one population.

You can see that happening on city states that you convert with prophets. Some convert right away (12 population or less if the religion has no existing influence), others need an extra missionary charge (12 pop or more, and the city has no existing influence).

Another more expensive possibility would be to capture a foreign prophet, convert the 4 cities next to your capital to get some pressure and use an inquisitor on your holy city (and a missionary if it does not immediately convert the city).

Play Deity, as Celts and roll a start where you can get a faith pantheon and send Picts out, or as Spain and roll a start where you can migrate to a faith NW, and let the AI have Borobudur and Djenne, and just turtle until the waves of missionaries descend upon you.

You don't destroy other players' GPs. You capture them. You can even steal plant the GPs for sweet a religion bonus tile if the GP never spread religion.

You can even steal an other player's GP and use that GP to spread the other player's religion to your own cities. Good for when Byzantium gets all three religious buildings or something.

Top Bottom