1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Best way to prepare for war?? (NEWBIE)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by jmg_95, Aug 26, 2012.

1. jmg_95

jmg_95 Chieftain

Hi all. Basically what the title says. I'm playing in Warlord difficulty (yes i'm that bad) and most of the times I get culturally cornered by other civs so can't expand. Usually in the early game I have a tech advantage, but when other civs get 10+ cities vs. my 4, 5 cities, I start falling behind, so I need to get some space by force in the early game. So I start building my army, and when I think I have enough attacking units, I declare war, and I can usually take 1 or 2 cities, but they are culturally trapped inside the other civ, so basically I need to take them out. But whenever I start building a big enough army to take the whole civ at once, my units start getting outdated, and eventually I need to upgrade a large portion of the army, which I obviously can't afford. So, how many units per opponent city do you usually build before war? What promotions do you use? How many siege units do you have? Plz help, this is really wrecking my games.

2. Chuwe3y

Chuwe3y Chieftain

Its not war that u should be working on. It should be expanding while working on ur economy. On warlord Ai having 10 cities is very slow for them to get it. That means u have to micromanage, whip, or chop settlers faster. U need to learn how to culture block Ai from expanding to ur land so u can fill in the gap later.
    I am still learning when it comes to warfare due to my impatience. Level of diffulty changes how many unit u need to take out a city. Pick ur enemies and also scout their land. Know what units they have and what they are weak against. Every unit has a pro and con (there's a warmonger strategy article out there).

3. scyt4l3

scyt4l3 Short Fused Invader

One counter-intuitive to know about Civ 4 warfare is to sacrifice a few siege units to soften all the defenders with collateral damage. It's not mandatory, you could get around with something like a spy induced revolt and lots of mounted units. The idea is to get rid of the % of defense boost to reduce the number of units you are loosing. Also, be sure to have a medic in your stack to accelerate the process of capturing cities.
    I'm just throwing it out there, maybe you already know that.

4. Izuul

Izuul Level 86

Yeah, it sounds like you need to work on your early game expansion before anything else. You should be getting a lot more than 4-5 cities on Warlord.

5. dmd175

dmd175 Chieftain

I'm not an expert, but agree with izuul. I've played about 40 games now, being humble and starting at warlord, working up to beating prince/trying monarch. I focused first on economics, city locations, and specialization...and workers...you are asking about warring but the worker is the most important unit in the game. Read the war academy--good advice there. I spent a few games doing these things, and did not need to war on warlord, and sometimes even on noble. Just in my last 10 games I'm learning the art of integrating military into a healthy economic development. You need to have strong economy from which to wage war. Like the game says, quoting Sun Tzu, "Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win."