1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Bet: after the beta test is over a console version will be released. Anybody agrees?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Teodosio, Nov 19, 2010.

?

Will a console version be released once the beta testing is over?

1. Yes, we pc users are just doing unpaid beta test for console players.

63 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. No, Civ 5 will stay pc-only, even when it will leave beta stage.

84 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. Teodosio

Teodosio Chieftain

Hello all fellow paying beta-testers,
    Civ 5 is still far from (real) release but the beta test is progressing well thanks to our unpaid efforts. Consider this: the beta version we are trying had to be released on PC because, by definition, it has to be easy to patch. After the complete version is available however it would be the perfect time to publish a console version. I bet this is exactly what will happen.
    Use PC's for beta testing, release on consoles when ready.
    Anybody willing to bet with me? :p

2. lschnarch

lschnarch Chieftain

The UI would be a strong indication for the route to consoles.

In total, I think it would be possible, yes.

3. taylor_cu

taylor_cu Chieftain

Of course, first the swindle-beta version for pc, then the real game for console.
    :lol::crazyeye::rotfl:

4. Panda_Power

Panda_Power Chieftain

Paid beta testing is the norm now isn't it? Stardock are about to release the 1.1 beta for Elemental to everyone who bought it and it's exciting! To know that you can be part of forming the direction of a game and for finding bugs before others do!

Once games reach their final version it's a bit of an anti-climax cos then you're just left with the game!

5. Pyrodraulis

Pyrodraulis Chieftain

Yes, YES this must be EXACTLY what they're doing!! It is clear to me now that since they know that shipping a more polished game to console would bring in more revenue than patching an existing game for PC and updating it with expansion packs, then this must be precisely what their master plan is. I've also seen a dark vision of what they intend to do with that revenue. (I'm a prophet and you guys aren't, alright?)

They intend to develop a global EMP device that completely and permanently disables one very specific type of electronic; gaming PC's. With PC gaming out of the way, console gaming would be free to finally dominate the market and NOT ONLY THAT but with PC gamers left without their hobby, a large percentage of them would inevitably switch over to consoles thus making the FOUL HERETICAL console scene even more powerful and popular.

This, my brothers and sisters, is something we simply cannot allow to happen. I summon forth all the kin of PC-gaming, from the old days of Duke Nukem 3d to the current, to join me at my side as we storm Firaxis HQ and purge these misguided traitors and heretics as well as their devious plan. THE TIME IS NOW! TO BATTLE!!

6. MkLh

MkLh Chieftain

I'd say rather when the next generation consoles are released. It would be really tough task to implement Civ5 for todays consoles with only 512mb of memory and their probably inadequate (while in theory powerful) CPUs.

7. monsterfurby

monsterfurby Chieftain

Ah, come on, quit the trolling. For one, believe me, Beta was much worse than it is right now. Secondly, Civ 5 would not translate well to Console, not at all. Civ:Rev didn't really do well enough to open that market for them.

8. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Civ rev is different from 5.

You might be right about beta, but a lot of the issues we see in the game today are *still* things that are more typical of games in beta stages, not release titles.

Given the efforts toward UI (IE total lack of any) and the general community pulse (IE total lack of any) on the UI problems, I don't see a console version. You see, console versions need STREAMLINED controls, not intentionally mouse-heavy controls where orders given are not always executed properly. If a console version were in the works, that would be a priority issue ;).

Although I must admit the OP made me smile.

9. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Warlord

What difference could it possibly make to me if they do or not?

10. wurstburst

wurstburst Chieftain

I think the game is well set up for consoles. The fact that everything you need to do on a particular turn is fed to you on the "A unit needs orders" button, works fantastically for consoles. Hit the "A" button (or whatever) and go to your next task for the turn. When nothing else to do, hit "A" again.

Whether the current generation can handle the game from a memory and processor perspective I can't comment on. But I'd be surprised if the game doesn't come out on a console at some point.

As far as using the PC version to beta test, they'd be morons not to. They get one shot at the console version and it needs to be done when released. On the PC version, they can iron out issues along the way. I have no problem with this approach, as long as updates are timely (which they have been so far).

11. Chronicles

Chronicles Chieftain

Pyrodraulis made me laugh, great post.

On topic though: first of all I can't imagine anyone wanting a console version of CivV over the pc version and I think the developers would get this. The 'A unit needs orders' thing is just there for your convenience, it's a design choice. If you have played CivRev you would know that CivRev, even though Rev is in my opinion a great game albeit a totally different experience from PC civ games (yes I have been playing since the original), doesn't really work that well on console especially when you have lots of units. You miss the mouse because basically it's still a pc game.

Besides the developers said that they won't make CivV for the console, why is that so hard to believe? For me nothing in Civilization5 points to a console version because there is simply too much in there with too much potential to expand upon.

12. PawelS

PawelS Ancient Druid

I can't vote in this poll, because both answers imply that Civ5 is in "beta stage", with which I can't agree. It was quite good and playable game from the release day. Of course there were (and still are) some bugs and imbalances, but which game doesn't have them at release?

Also it's not the first thread like this, I wonder why is it so important for some people whether there will be a console version or not. I couldn't care less.

13. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

This guy is right. This thread is a troll-fest.

14. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

I'm pretty sure that trick was completely intended. Polls like this serve no purpose other than to start a discussion.

15. charon2112

charon2112 Chieftain

Civ V worked perfectly for me from day one, so I'm not sure what you're talking about. Sorry you don't like the game, though.

16. charon2112

charon2112 Chieftain

This is simply your personal opinion, nothing more. You dislike the UI, great. Some people, myself and others, absolutely love it.

17. Canpolat

Canpolat Chieftain

This topic is like Salt in a Wound. I was a big fan of Consoles once (long time ago where Super Nintendo and Mega Drive did battle). At that time there was a peaceful coexistence of PC and Consoles. Consoles had the easy going Beat´m ups and Jump and Runs and Arcade games while PC had Strategy, Simulation etc. all was well and there was Peace. Then this "thing" came....and no I dont mean Playstation....I mean the XBOX. It was the Scourge of Gods punishing us for our sins. We have been to well and forgot to kneel and pray...so he was mad at us and punished us with furious anger.

From there it was all the way down. Today there is no more ethics...only money! they are trying to "Console" everything they can.

You know what? I am happy to be Mortal!

18. charon2112

charon2112 Chieftain

Fixed it for ya. ;)

19. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

What are you talking about?

The beta was Revolution... the console version is already here.

20. Eshnunna

Eshnunna Chieftain

Awesome trolling.
    Provocative and brilliant.