Beta & Bug Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thalassicus

Bytes and Nibblers

Please check out the Reporting Bugs thread if you encounter any problems while playing this mod. :)

For anyone interested in doing some experimental testing, the download above is the current development version of Thal's Balance Mods - Combined. Stability and balance of beta versions cannot be assured, this is what testing is for! :thumbsup:

For conversation about beta features and content, please post in the Beta v4.X - General Discussion thread, or start a thread in the Thal's Balance Mods forum.

This thread is now just for information. To report bugs or talk about the beta, please drop by the threads linked above. :)

Good call on moving to a separate forum.

I'm running the v2 development build (downloaded last night - I think it was 2.0.17).

I seem to be getting a weird bug where the tech tree cannot scroll right, beyond the ancient era.
Has anyone else observed this?

Save attached.

Attachments

• Nippon.Civ5Save
    655.4 KB · Views: 176
Tried Germany for the first time and took 6 barb encampments in sequence without getting a barb unit to join me. Theoretically, that is a 1.5625% chance of that sequence occuring giving rise to a thought that there is a bug in the German special ability...

So I did a test on vanilla and confirmed that the German's special ability in vanilla is working. Anyone else seen this problem? Was I just unlucky?

Test 2 - I've now confirmed the trait is working for the Germans in the mod. :shifty: What is different is that there is no announcement :deal:of the joining event when you defeat the barb, unlike vanilla. It also appears that the barb unit joins you at the beginning of the next turn. If you have multiple like units in the vicinity, you might not be aware that the unit had joined which I assume is what happened to me. :stupid:In vanilla, I found the unit appeared immediately concurrent with the defeat and the announcement.

Test 3 - The Barbs are showing up immediately afterall. My mistake. The only issue I see on this now is lack of any notification that they joined you which, in the overall list of opportunities to work on is a low priority.

I'll give 2.0.18 a run through over the next few days and provide feedback. Do you have a targeted release date if no major issues are found?

Good call on moving to a separate forum.

I'm running the v2 development build (downloaded last night - I think it was 2.0.17).

I seem to be getting a weird bug where the tech tree cannot scroll right, beyond the ancient era.
Has anyone else observed this?

Save attached.

I haven't, but it seems as if there's been an upsurge of one-time occurrences. I wonder if it has more to do with the latest patch.

@Ahriman
That's what happens when a lua file fails to completely load, which is rather often as I'm debugging the tooltip system. :crazyeye:

This made me think of something... posted some info about LiveTuner in the first post, which helps track down errors like what you're experiencing.

@Maxii
That's very odd... I'll keep an eye out for what might be causing it.

@SSgtDuke
Like Blizzard says, "when it's done" :lol:

Probably Friday though I can't say for sure.

That's what happens when a lua file fails to completely load, which is rather often as I'm debugging the tooltip system.
Ahh. Ok, will try later version and start a new game.
Shame, I had a rather nice position set up.

Have a look at this screenshot...

Spoiler :

and all the units to produce will show that line "TXT_KEY_PRO............................."

any idea what could be causing that..?

Latest build 18 being used.

That's strange. Could you check:

MODS\Thals Balance Mods - Combined (v 2)\Balance - Combat\Text\BC - Language_en_US.xml

First block should be:

Code:
    . . .
    <Row Tag="TXT_KEY_PRODUCTION_UNIT_MAINTENANCE">
      <Text>[ICON_GOLD] Maintenance: {1_Num}</Text>
    </Row>
    . . .
If it's not working there for you, try moving those 3 lines to the following file and see if it works (then save both files). It should work in either place and shows up fine for me, but it's worth a try (and I need to move it anyway for organizational purposes):

MODS\Thals Balance Mods - Combined (v 2)\Unofficial Patch\Text\UP - Tips - Language_en_US.xml

Also do a Find in Unofficial Patch\InfoTooltipInclude.lua for "UNIT_MAINTENANCE", there should be a line reading:
strHelpText = strHelpText .. "[NEWLINE]" .. Locale.ConvertTextKey("TXT_KEY_PRODUCTION_UNIT_MAINTENANCE", pUnitInfo.ExtraMaintenanceCost);

Basically the game does this:

1. Reads in all data changes like the two Language_en_US.xml files.
  2. Runs the lua code, where it plugs ExtraMaintenanceCost into the {1_Num} spot of "TXT_KEY_...".
  3. Displays it to the user interface.

This is how it's set up for me and working properly, so if it's not working for you that's very puzzling. I've uploaded my current build, you could try that to see if it works. Maybe I forgot to update something before uploading! :)

Tal, I've experienced a problem with using the great scientist for free tech research beakers. I click the beaker icon which consumes my great scientist, but I receive no tech boost. Perhaps related to this problem is the fact that the beaker icon says that clicking there will give me a golden age, but it doesn't even do that. Also the icons for my workers' build options are also mixed up a bit. Here are the mods I'm using.

Thal's Combined Balance Mods (v.2) Beta
WWGD (v.3)
Specialized Barbarian Units (v.2)
InfoAddict (v.10)
Improved Notifications (v.6)
Flag Promotions (v.1)
CsebMod Extended Plot MouseOver Popup(v.2)
CivWillard (v.1)

Are you able to find out if the additional Mods conflict with your Combined Balance Mods? Thanks for your help!

Which version of the beta did you download? I had that problem I think in version .16 or .17 caused by a missing file. I've attached it in a zip to this post, see if you have it:

MODS\Thals Balance Mods - Combined (v 2)\Seeks Free-Research Balance Mod\XMLTableUpdate.sql

Attachments

• XMLTableUpdate.zip
    251 bytes · Views: 150
The text was within the combat file but when I copied it to the unofficial patch one it then displayed correctly, thanks for that :)

I understand that you will need to move it for orgnisational purposes but you might also consider any other sort of inter-dependencies between your modular mods, especially when you note...
If you wish to go without any particular mod, simply remove or delete it from the combined folder and it will no longer be active

this might cause some unexpected results :)

Exactly, that's what I meant by organizing things. It tends to get a little jumbled in the beta when adding things wherever it seems to fit at the time. :)

Which version of the beta did you download? I had that problem I think in version .16 or .17 caused by a missing file. I've attached it in a zip to this post, see if you have it:

MODS\Thals Balance Mods - Combined (v 2)\Seeks Free-Research Balance Mod\XMLTableUpdate.sql

I'm not sure what version it was, but I applied the new version to the same game, and it seems to have fixed the problem. The flag promotions Mod doesn't work properly anymore though. That Mod hasn't consistently worked since the latest Firaxis patch I believe. Thanks for the help.

That's strange. Could you check:

Also do a Find in Unofficial Patch\InfoTooltipInclude.lua for "UNIT_MAINTENANCE", there should be a line reading:
strHelpText = strHelpText .. "[NEWLINE]" .. Locale.ConvertTextKey("TXT_KEY_PRODUCTION_UNIT_MAINTENANCE", pUnitInfo.ExtraMaintenanceCost);

Within that file from build 19 I find...

I assume build 19 has yet to be organised :) in respects of the alteration to the UP - Tips - Language_en_US.xml file within the unofficial patch build

In beta .20 I fixed two things:

• The building fixing the Railroad bug required a Palace, but the "Governor's Mansion" also had the Palace building class (the thing implementing the puppet nerf). I've changed the Governor's Mansion to its own building class.
  • Revamped the puppet window popup when you capture a city or click a puppet. It now gives much more detailed information about characteristics of puppet states.

I'm not sure what version it was, but I applied the new version to the same game, and it seems to have fixed the problem. The flag promotions Mod doesn't work properly anymore though. That Mod hasn't consistently worked since the latest Firaxis patch I believe. Thanks for the help.

I managed to get the Flag Promotions mod to work, but only after removing the Copasetic UI Tweaks mod. Those 2 don't seem to play well together. Both mods alter the UnitFlagManager.lua file, so I suspect the problem is there. I'm not a modder, though, so take that for what it's worth.

Thal, thanks very much for all your hard work. Good stuffs! :goodjob:

With the above issue, do you think it might be a good idea to have a separate thread for compatibility issues? Seems like most peeps have several other mods running along side BC. This bug thread might be better served without compatibility discussions dominating the conversation. OTOH, when someone runs into a bug, they may not know if it's a compatibility issue or an actual bug, and wouldn't know which thread to use.

OTOH, when someone runs into a bug, they may not know if it's a compatibility issue or an actual bug, and wouldn't know which thread to use.
That's why I feel it's alright to post all issues in one thread. :)

I took a look at that mod and it's actually quite interesting! I'll talk with the creator of the mod, I like the concept but most promotions don't need to be shown up-front.

Yes I like the flag promotions mod because I'm able to see my "friends" promotions on their units amassed near my borders. Vanilla Civ only allows a peak at promotions when hovering over enemy units before an attack, correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom