1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] Beta Gauntlet 12 - Domination, Mansa, Deadline 24th March

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by Noble Zarkon, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Civ IV Emperor EQM Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

Settings:
    • Victory Condition: Domination (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
    • Difficulty: Any
    • Starting Era: Ancient
    • Map Size: Small
    • Speed: Any
    • Map Type: Any
    • Civ: Mali (Mansa Musa)
    • Opponents: Must include Egypt (Hatshepsut), France (De Gaulle), India (Gandhi), Maya (Pacal)
    • Version: 3.19.005 Beta or 3.19.005 Beta2
    • Date: 25th February to 24th March 2018
    Must not play as Inca.
    The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

2. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Civ IV Emperor EQM Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

3. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

I've got a game going in the last beta, but it didn't turn out as expected and became a slog to finish. Got about 5 games like that, actually, and started another yesterday. I find the game up to 1AD, maybe 1000AD, the most fun, and after that it becomes a slog.

Anyway, anything in particular you guys are looking for in these beta games? Are the submitted saves checked more meticulously for anything that we should keep an eye on? Keeping in mind we already know it's possible to double-capture workers in the same turn (in different tiles with 2-3 movers).

Will try to finish some of the games I have going. At least normal HoF games are open-ended so I may get to it one day :p

The weird culture thing I mentioned in the other thread popped up in a .003 game too, so it's not unique for .005. Probably has something to do with settling city, seeing nothing good about it, and then re-rolling the map - and the culture then somehow sticks around. Can't be much, but it's something. Probably not something worth spending time investigating though. I've done this lately rather than bothering with MapFinder.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  4. Noble Zarkon

More war would be good, my games tend to be relatively peaceful after an early rush. In particular any oddities with siege weapons you guys pick up on.

5. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

The game I have going for beta 11 has more warfare than Genghis Khan and even US presidents would appreciate :D

Not seen funny business with siege, unless you mean how you get the 'wrong' percentage reduction in walls defence -- but that goes for .003 too. I sometimes see e.g. a 3% or 7% reduction instead of the normal 4% or 8%. No idea why that is.

6. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Submitted a game and was surprised to check out the HoF afterwards on the same settings, and see that only one game was faster (though by quite a lot).

Didn't use siege, but didn't see any other funny business. Well, one time when clicking on the different leaderheads in the spy screen, every button got highlighted for some reason, but I think I've seen that rarely in BUG or BUFFY .003 too.

7. Dhoomstriker

Dhoomstriker Girlie Builder

I pumped out a game using the 005 Beta 2 version. I did try using Cats, Trebs, and Cannons, but I didn't notice anything amiss with them.
    EDIT: I didn't look at the Bombardment percentages that Pangaea mentioned, though.

At one point, the screen seemed to crazily zoom in on me, but then I noticed that the Field of View setting had gotten zoomed in--I have to assume that it was user error and that my mouse cursor must have jumped to the edge of the screen, changed the value, and then moved back to the middle of the screen without me noticing. Or, maybe there's some hotkey or mouse-button-clicking combination that acts as a shortcut to change the Field of View setting?

EDIT: The Worker-stealing bug still exists:
    i. I can capture a Worker using a Chariot and then move to another square and capture a different Worker on a different square on the same turn
    ii. I can attack and kill a Warrior using a Chariot and then move to another square and capture a Worker on a different square on the same turn

Fortunately, case ii. does not work in reverse:
    iii. if I capture a Worker first, I cannot attack a Warrior on another square on the same turn

In 003, none of these cases allow me to perform the second action on my turn.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  8. Noble Zarkon

9. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Not been around the last few days as I purchased Stardew Valley and got hooked (hehe). But looks like I won this thing?

In a previous game I tested the worker stealing and came to the same conclusion, Dhoom. Not sure if there are any other serious bugs, but this one has to be solved before using the version in competitive games for the HoF and GOTM. One of the things that discourage me from competitive games these days is the degree people take advantage of 'features', which when taken to extremes mean people playing more normally simply cannot compete. So something like this would of course be exploited to hell and back (several times). Despite the chances in between versions, hopefully the people with the skills to do so are able to compare these code sections and see what is different and hopefully fix it so that once Buffy 005 is released, this double worker-stealing is no longer possible.

edit: Oops, cross-posted with @Noble Zarkon

10. WastinTime

WastinTime Chieftain Supporter

What's the status of 005? The plan was to have it be mandatory by now. I know I didn't do my part to help test, but what's the hold up(s)? developer MIA? I might be able to help fix a bug.

11. Noble Zarkon

Thanks - the original developers aren't available, we need to fix the bug that allows a unit to attack and capture a worker on the same turn and have no idea where to look. We also need to figure out why the Sea Sentry button is missing, @Lemon Merchant is looking into that one. Those are the two biggies.

12. WastinTime

WastinTime Chieftain Supporter

well, for starters, is that bug introduced in BUG, BULL, or the HoF part of BUFFY?