1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Beta Gauntlet IX

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by Dianthus, Apr 10, 2006.

1. WastinTime

WastinTime Deity Supporter

I think 1000 AD will be possible with Astronomy required, but 1400 sound like a great start. Who'd you play? What landmass? any highlights?

I suppose something ridiculous like 1 AD could happen if you get a map where Astronomy is not needed. I hope this is not the case. The whole point of an island map is to avoid the same old early rush tactic.

2. Big_Ben

Big_Ben Warlord

1000 AD? that is very impressive. I need to start playing more minimalistic.

3. Big_Ben

Big_Ben Warlord

Meant that will be very impressive, don't think you have hit it yet Wastin :p

4. Tauro

Tauro Warlord

I did NOT finish in 1400 AD :D it's a simple question for setting a affortable goal :D :D

The map is your map: archipelago, continents, rocky (room for seven or eight cities with some good overlapping).

I think I'm following a wrong strategy, couse I can't reach astronomy in 170/180 turns, only in 210, maybe couse I'm very poor of resources.
    Two clams there make a big difference :|
    BTW I didn't make an early rush, I was all alone in my continent.
    Strategy in maybe too obvious: stonhenge, Oracle and Pyramids in 600/400 BC, great lighthouse, GL, and straight for optc and astronomy, shut down reaserch for 5/8 turns, so banking nationalism, golden age, military tradition,research chemistry, research dropped to 60/50 % and useless techs. I ended with 3000 idiot coins (no timing at all, I could switch for universal suffrage and buy ten units but I was scared about happyness...no comment :) )

P.S. 108 turns of war, about 16 turns per civ

5. Big_Ben

Big_Ben Warlord

You don't need Stonehenge or the GL. You don't really have the amount of cities needed to take advantage of Stonehenge vs the turns it takes to build it. You aren't researching enough to need the GL and having ot tech literature is wasted turns. You can trade for it later if you want to build the heroic epic.

I don't build the Oracle because you have to tech all the religious techs yourself (I don't tech alphabet early like most games). Time spent teching those techs doesn't really make up for the time saved on the free tech and you could miss it.

I don't build the pyramids because it takes way too many turns. If I had stone I may go for it but I guess they are optional.

Build units early, galleys and any melee unit. You can use your extra cash to upgrade them to modern units. I would go with galleys myself.

6. WastinTime

What's the word on v1.61. Can we upgrade if we want to and still qualify for HOF?

7. superslug

superslug Still hatin' on Khan Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Not yet.;)

8. Denniz

Denniz Where's my breakfast? Retired Moderator

Also, since the patch changes some aspects of game play. This Gauntlet is only valid for V1.52 games.

9. Xavier's Crown

Xavier's Crown Chieftain

This was my first ever try at a Gaunlet. I finished in 1490 ad playing as Washington on Snaky Continents. I chose Ghandi as my last opponent.

Washington was a mistake because I never got the chance to take advantage of his UU. I was lucky enough to eliminate on my continent the Romans, Indians, Greeks, Persians, and Egyptians (in that order). The Spanish and Mali had to wait until I discovered Astronomy - which I delayed way to long by going after Military Tradition.

I'll try again and try to shave 200 years off my score.

10. HighDesert

HighDesert Chieftain

My first attempt at a gauntlet...

First to circumnavigate in 1225BC
    CS Slingshot in 920BC
    Academy in 620BC
    Astronomy in 500AD
    Conquest in 800AD

I played small islands at low sea level with the Inca. The start location had two food resources, a lake and four (count 'em) gold hills. :crazyeye:

11. Andrei_V

Andrei_V King

First attempt - 1853 finish.

I played as Elizabeth on a Tiny Islands map, the biggest problem was the lack of production, especially in the beginning. I failed to build every early wonder except the Great Library. However, I circumnavigated the map very early with a couple of workboats sent in opposite directions.

I started the conquest very late, after I got Redcoats. I think it can be started a lot earlier, the AI cities are almost defenseless. 3 Redcoats and 3 Cats could capture virtually any enemy city, usually protected by a few longbowmen. I faced riflemen only very late, when I got myself artillery, marines, and tanks.

No navy resistance either. A Galley destroyed one of my fishing boats, and on the next turn it was killed by my Destroyer.

Next time I'll try to start conquest with macemen/cats.

12. WastinTime

Great finish HighDesert. I was afraid that low sea was going to make it too easy to kill most if not all civs before Astronomy. How many were unreachable by galley?

13. HighDesert

HighDesert Chieftain

All of the opponents were accessible by galley.

I think the 800AD win is definitely beatable. I had horrible luck with the RNG on an attempt at a Quechua rush. (I had successfully done a rush on a trial run.) Then my first two Macemen (87%) lost. I got a little off goal with research; the Galleons are definitely a big help and should have come sooner. And I didn't get developed enough before doing some things that could have waited. As well lost a core town to a sneak attack. UGH!

Gold hills seem to cover a lot of errors...

14. WastinTime

I was hoping the Island Conquest game would be interesting. Sad to see it's just another Quechua rush. Should have been high sea level. :mad: At least I got to try some conquest for a change. On the bright side...I can upgrade to 1.61 now and pass on this gauntlet.

Why did you even bother getting Astronomy? Once you get Macemen, just turn on the cash and upgrade your Quechua. Or better, just stop after Iron Working and win with swordsman. :( Not at all what I was hoping for.

15. BlueRenner

BlueRenner Warlord

You can rig up 'Archipelago' so you'll have a very good shot at having a map that can be circumnavigated with Sailing. The best time will undoubtably be one of these.

As far as I know, the only map type that out-and-out enforces the Astronomy limitation is Custom_Continents. No matter how close the landmasses get, there is always a canal of ocean tiles in-between. However, this can sometimes be bridged with strategic city building.

Perhaps a better option would be a Conquest on one of the Earth scenarios. Your choice of civs.

- Bill

16. Denniz

Denniz Where's my breakfast? Retired Moderator

How so?

---

17. BlueRenner

BlueRenner Warlord

Its not that difficult.

Maptype: Archipelago
    Setting: Archipelago
    Sea Level: Low

I rolled up a bunch of maps to test this, checking the open pathways with the world builder. Sometimes the paths to certain landmasses are very long (but can be shortened considerably with clever city placement), but they almost always exist.

- Bill

18. Tauro

Tauro Warlord

It's going better: 1250 AD, archipelago continents rocky, no oracle (pyramids and stonehenge again)
    My research was VERY slow, early war and two opponents out on anno domini. 50 turns for completing the game from astronomy.
    I'll try small islands :)
    My real gap is research :|
    GG High Desert! :)

19. WastinTime

I did one Incan rush just to try it. Now I can turn it over to the people who enjoy the ancient era conquests. I did Arch. landmass instead of tiny islands. Low sea.

480 AD conquest.

The Quechuas weren't that useful. I had Iron in no time. I can't think of any of the civs available that would be better though.

I just researched Iron working, sailing, and then Construction. I never learned another tech after that. Just built Elephants, swordsmen, galleys and catapults. Tiny islands would make it easier to get around. My map was like a maze. The good thing about Arch. over islands is I had 4 civs on one continent. Three (including me) were on my continent. An then one all by himself. I'd say Tiny islands is the way to go, but maybe you're really gambling on whether the galleys can get around to everyone.

Never generated a GP, so no Academy. No wonders. No buildings (except barracks). Oh, i did build one obelisk (whoopie!) so my borders would expand.
    I built 2 settlers.

One exciting thing about the game is that my cash was running out fast. In a few turns I would have had to kill off some military (or go into anarchy)

20. superslug

superslug Still hatin' on Khan Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

I should have mentioned this last night, but we're sticking with 1.52 for this Gauntlet even though 1.61 is out.