[Beta] v.32 beta1 - Need testers !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gedemon

Modder
Super Moderator
Ok, here is a new beta version, now it's the new "regiment" mechanism that need to be tested. Please try to exploit it, and report any strange behavior.

R.E.D. WWII v.32 beta1
R.E.D. DLL v3 Beta1

current changelog:
Spoiler :

- DLL Feature: balance embarked units defensive combat by considering them DOMAIN_SEA (they were considered DOMAIN_LAND) and ignore all other bonus/penalties except a 100% bonus vs aircraft.
- DLL Feature: restriction on ranged attacks, submarines can't be attacked by land-based artillery or medium/heavy bombers, and naval units can't attack from inside a city (at dock)
- DLL Feature: can set some units to act like a special type of units, "regiment", allowing them to stack with normal ("division") units, but not with another regiment.
- DLL Feature: related to unit stacking, the GetBestDefender function now return the unit that will have the more HP left after the attack.
- DLL Bugfix: end turn autosave is no more triggered after the AI has started computing it's turn (could make the first AI to lose 1 turn), but before.
- New Artillery type: "Field Gun" (regiment), with 2 ranges, can't fire above obstacle (direct fire), can only defend, bonus vs armor.
- New Artillery type: "AA Gun" (regiment), protect only the tile it's on from air attack (but with 3 interceptions), can only defend, bonus vs air.
- Balance: remove penalty against armor for Artillery, rename it to "Howitzer-Gun", lowering melee strenght to 14 (was 16), and it's now a "regiment" unit.
- Balance: remove inflation on unit maintenance. To do : set different maintenance cost per unit.
- Bugfix: don't make units escape from a city under a ranged attack...
- Bugfix: heavy bombers had 50% naval penalty and 70% sea penalty... Now have "only" 70% sea penalty.
- Bugfix: military operations should not try to paradrop units in neutral territory...
- Bugfix: Stalingrad score function was broken.
- Bugfix: don't try to Air Sweep when the interception was not made by an air unit...
- Optimization of loading/saving time for mod data.

2 "new" and 1 modified unit are "regiment", they can stack with normal unit (except when embarked, had strange crash when testing), and 2 have special features.

- The AA-Gun is "normal", it protect the plot it's on from air attack (can intercept 3 times when it's too damaged to directly defend)
- The Howitzer-Guns (was Artillery) is good against fortified units or cities, can counter-fire when the plot it's on is attacked by land ranged unit (other howitzer-guns or field guns), and can provide fire support (1 attack and unlimited defense). I've leaved the 2 range to compare with normal use, but it will be lowered to 1, and maybe completely removed to act only as an automatic support unit.
- The Field Guns can not counter fire, but provide same fire support capacity as howitzer-guns, have a greater ranged strength and a bonus against armor.

Now go, grab it and test it please :D

I think I'll redo the promotion tree for those units at one point, suggestion after testing are welcome. For example, there should be a "chance" to counter-fire or provide fire support, that could raise with promotions...

Example of combat situation:
Spoiler :

Note: I can't really use reports made using the alpha/beta scenarios, please stay on the "old" maps (Earth 1942, Stalingrad, Euro 39-45)

Tested v32beta yesterday for a short time (deity, Hitler, 1942 world):
-Can't stack Howitzer gun on Infantry
-no convoys (they were there, right?)
-Counter fire seems to result in double attacking, i think. Perhaps test it with infantries attacking Leningrad with Howitzer gun stationed in the city.
-Balance on sea units has changed i think (battleship attacked my sub for 10 TP, German 50 :strength: Cruiser scores for 3 dmg on British Dido class and is hit for 13, Dido is 45 :strength:). And I'm not sure if i like the results to be honest ;-) it seems to disrupt the rock-paper-scissor balance on sea (Battleship beats cruiser, cruiser beats sub, sub beats battleship). But it increases the value of Capital ships, naaah, i don't know. I love my Bismarck/Yamato/Missouri/PrinceOfWales...
-USSR has a lot more competitive tanks (T34, KV-1) at the beginning now and are much harder to drive back. Which is good!
-Allies seem to put a lot more pressure on northern Africa which is also good!

Some combat values seems to have changed. Can you list which? Because some results of my warfare have been very unexpected and will force a new planning and strategy. Would be great!

Tested v32beta yesterday for a short time (deity, Hitler, 1942 world):
thanks for the report :)

-Can't stack Howitzer gun on Infantry
hmm... maybe pre-placed arty are not set as "special" units for stacking. Try with an arty you've build during game in your city, I'll look at the code too.

-no convoys (they were there, right?)
No they were not defined on the 1942 map :D

-Counter fire seems to result in double attacking, i think. Perhaps test it with infantries attacking Leningrad with Howitzer gun stationed in the city.
If possible try yo take a screenshot of the top screen text during the attack, should look like the one posted in OP. Else post it here please.

-Balance on sea units has changed i think (battleship attacked my sub for 10 TP, German 50 :strength: Cruiser scores for 3 dmg on British Dido class and is hit for 13, Dido is 45 :strength:). And I'm not sure if i like the results to be honest ;-) it seems to disrupt the rock-paper-scissor balance on sea (Battleship beats cruiser, cruiser beats sub, sub beats battleship). But it increases the value of Capital ships, naaah, i don't know. I love my Bismarck/Yamato/Missouri/PrinceOfWales...
Yes, I noted that Battleships were more powerful, not sure if it's a side effect of civ patch or my DLL.

But the 3/13 cruiser exchange is a bit strange, any promotion involved ?

Anyway once a "torpedo" promotion (free for subs) will be added, the subs will gain back their offensive superiority against battleships (they are expected to be weak in defense).

-USSR has a lot more competitive tanks (T34, KV-1) at the beginning now and are much harder to drive back. Which is good!
Didn't change anything there since a few version IIRC, maybe the fix to the project list and available units ?

-Allies seem to put a lot more pressure on northern Africa which is also good!

Some combat values seems to have changed. Can you list which? Because some results of my warfare have been very unexpected and will force a new planning and strategy. Would be great!
Balance change should be in the log, can you give example of "unexpected" results ?

AI better behavior on oversea assault is from the civ patch I suppose, except on the 1939 Euro map where U.K. is programmed by the mod to send reinforcements in France, Norway and Africa, and Italy is programmed to defend Albania and Africa.

Hi i love this mod and joined civ fan just cause of this mod. The AI, in normal Civ 5, is ******ed and the multiplayer broke so this mod saved civ 5 for me, thank you.
I try and run this mod and it doesnt work. Im trying the beta testing one. I put both downloads in my mods folder. I subscribe to the RED data files . When the main mod screen loads it reads
Error DLL not active. Launch buttons on active, or something close to that. any help would be appreciated. Maybe i should of just reinstalled civ, but i had to come on here and give you congrats on the best mod in civ 5, imo.

you also need the new dll file that is linked in the first post. That file most replace the vanilla file which is in civ5 installation folder (not the mods folder)

Awesome thanks it works, i did do a fresh reinstall just to make sure , and im running a Germany 36 scenario now. Already seems much faster, and prettier btw :)

Well the game freezes up on turn 5, trying to calculate britains move. Its happened twice in a row to me, and when i hit esc, civ totally crashes and stops running.
I dont know if there is some report thing im suppossed to send, ive only beta tested fps games before :)
Im playing as Germany, 1936 Alpha

I played another game as Britain and it let me get to round 7. I played another game as Japan, and as i went on here, to say that it let me play to round 6, the game crashed and civ closed.

Thanks, but I don't take reports from the alpha/beta maps, they can't be useful for me as I won't know if the bug is coming from the map or from the code. (and the reverse is true: when using beta version of the mod, no need to report problem in scenario specific thread as it can be a result of the core code, not the scenario code)

Here I'm working on the core code only, that means playing with 39/45 Europe, Earth 1942 and Stalingrad.

hmm... maybe pre-placed arty are not set as "special" units for stacking. Try with an arty you've build during game in your city, I'll look at the code too.
was that, fixed in next version

Hi. Awesome work on this mod BTW...

Started v32 with the Earth 1942 and I am experiencing odd behaviour with Aircraft rebasing. When aircraft rebase they still indicate being located at the original city. Happens when rebasing to city or carrier. Seems to only happen with units that were original with the scenario start and not newly built units.

Hi. Awesome work on this mod BTW...

Started v32 with the Earth 1942 and I am experiencing odd behaviour with Aircraft rebasing. When aircraft rebase they still indicate being located at the original city. Happens when rebasing to city or carrier. Seems to only happen with units that were original with the scenario start and not newly built units.

Thanks, not sure if it can easily be fixed, but I'll look at this.

Moderator Action: and closing this thread, v.32 final is uploading...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom