1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Beto O'Rourke is our next president.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Hygro, Nov 9, 2018.

1. GoodEnoughForMe

GoodEnoughForMe n.m.s.s.

The guy who literally asked to be on the ****tiest, dead end committee because he wanted to help veterans is style over substance?

2. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

Trump is obviously the answer you're looking for... so go ahead and argue against that from your, independent, perspective.

3. onejayhawk

onejayhawk Afflicted with reason

Uh, yeah.

To get the real Beto, listen to his lengthy non-concession speech. Anyone can fake humility, especially someone from Central Casting.

Trump is too effective for the label. Since you bring it up, Obama is a candidate. Trump has done more for his party in two years than Obama in eight.

I am reminded of a picture of Obama and Palin. The quip was that one was unapologetic eye-candy and the other shot her own meat. I didn't believe it then but it proved accurate.

J

Mechanicalsalvation and bernie14 like this.
  4. Narz

Narz keeping it real

I think that's unlikely. He seems cool but not particularly charismatic. Kind of cookie-cutter young democrat.

5. GoodEnoughForMe

GoodEnoughForMe n.m.s.s.

He doesn't have to fake humility, he just caused Dems down ballot to sweep everything and made Cruz **** his pants in Texas, Ted could literally be a dead bird and win Texas easily and he almost lost it because he is so bad and Beto was good lmao

6. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Another drone in the hive mind

But not someone who thinks Puerto Rico is too small to be a state.

JollyRoger and hobbsyoyo like this.
  7. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Warlord

Trump doesn't have a Senate filibustering every bill he proposes--including a jobs bill in an election year.

BTW: I think turning the biggest crash in living memory into the longest bull market in history, saving the US auto industry, getting tens of millions Americans affordable health care, and doubling renewable energy is better than giving a trillion dollars in tax cuts to billionaires.

8. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Boba Fett

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    I like the guy, but you all are out of your minds. He has practically no experience.

9. HoloDoc

HoloDoc Chieftain

I beg to differ. Our most recent ex-PM marked the 2016 election with a drunken, rambling speech in which he threatened to call the police on the Opposition. Repeatedly. And that was his victory speech!

And yet he is currently Presidentof the United States.

Wait, you're talking about Beto?

To be fair, Obama had almost no experience either. In the current political climate, performing well in the media is more important than any political ability or experience.

Silurian and Birdjaguar like this.
  10. caketastydelish

Obama actually had some experience in civil service.

11. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Warlord

:agree:

Notice I've not said that Beto 4 Pres is a good idea. :hmm:
    But a Biden-O'Rourke ticket would get my attention. :think:

12. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Warlord

On new young congress people without much experience..... yet getting the votes
    And Fox trying to find dirt.

hobbsyoyo and HoloDoc like this.
  13. HoloDoc

HoloDoc Chieftain

If Mother Teresa ran for office the Murdoch press would run stories on how she was a low-class individual who hung around with the unemployed and mentally ill due to religious fanaticism. She also has links with a foreign government that is known to engage in child sex abuse.

hobbsyoyo and tjs282 like this.
  14. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

I didn't "bring up" the "style-over substance" comparison at all, but putting that aside... and since you brought it up... Obama won both by a landslide... twice. So since Trump won the presidency but lost the popular vote, it appears that by your metric, Beto is a shoe in... since the more "style-over-substance" you are, the larger your margin of victory... Correct?

Or were you trying to steer towards a different tree?

Hygro likes this.
  15. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Warlord

The white women vote on Republicans.

Reagan had 62% of the white women vote in 1984, George W Bush by 55% in 2004, Mitt Romney at 56% in 2012.
    Pussygrabbing Trump had 53% in 2016.
    From an article in the Guardian today

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    HoloDoc and MaryKB like this.
  16. metatron

metatron deplorable ally

Oh, it's this Alex from the Block business again?

Ok, we'll play appartment hunt for Ms. Congresswoman elect Ocasio-Cortez.
    Fine.

So, we're looking for our usual metropolitan place that's just poopy enough to have affordable rent. In Washington's case that brings us to the fine neighborhoods of Anacostia and Fairlawn.
    They look like this and this respectively.
    Don't let the second picture fool you: That's at the western end of Fairlawn directly next to the Anacostia Freeway and Anacostia High School (fun place supposedly).
    I am all but certain there are apartments up for rent somewhere around here.
    Since i'm totally naive about apartment hunting in the US we'll just start at the most intuitively obvious site, which happens to be a place called apartments.com.
    Sadly, while there are apartment buildings registered at that site in direct vicinity to that Anacostia picture, they don't have any openings.
    In any event that would be The Porschia and River Heights Condominium, both within 100 yards from said picture. Well, too bad.

But only a few hundred yards in the other direction (which is good because closer to Anacostia River and by extension the Capitol) we find an opening:
    Maple View Flats $1245, lease starting Dec. 1st.
    And in Fairlawn we're doing even better. We can live a stone-throw from that school in a fine establishment called Cornerstone Apartments $894, available now.
    I am sure the good people at Cornerstone Apartments would be more than happy to have Congresswoman elect Alex-from-the-block Ocasio-Cortez.
    And hey, it looks nice enough; i mean i'd live there and i'm decidedly not from the block, as we have established.

And the best part is these apartments are 2.5 miles and 3.0 miles from the Capitol. No crow-flying nonsense, i route-planned it and everything.
    I'd consider that a walkable distance.

Anywho... so we need what three months rent, some deposit, some money to rent a truck, various fees and sundry nonsense. All told probably five to seven thousand.
    I believe Congresspersons get 14.5 grand a month, which should relieve the lady's financial stress come February.
    I'm sure they'll figure it out, what with Pelosi's talent with money.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  17. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Chieftain

18. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

@Ajidica I could totally see Beto being the subject of something like those "ask Jimmy Carter" SNL skits

19. caketastydelish

You have to be 35 or older to be eligible.

edit: @ EnglishEdward.

20. Silurian

Silurian Warlord

These suggestions are a bit silly.

It is unlikely that any landlord would want too rent to her because it is very unlikely that she would stay.
    She needs a place to stay that will be secure, has room to entertain and is near to good restaurants ( so that she can lobby, fund raise etc) and close to other congress critters so that it is easier to meet them.

So the landlord knows that she will not stay so they will have the cost of re letting the property. It is also likely that there will be a media circus around the property which will upset the other tenants and put off prospective tenants. It just does not make financial sense for a landlord to rent those apartments to her.