1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Beto O'Rourke is our next president.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Hygro, Nov 9, 2018.

1. MaryKB

MaryKB Warlord

Thank you for posting your passage from The Guardian, I'm surprised so many people deny how older married women are often basically told how to vote by their husbands. And especially you'll see that in conservative households, who believe women should be subservient to their husbands, and we're trained from birth to please men so it's a difficult cycle to break. I'm very glad to see trends are starting to show more liberation for women and their own minds in voting, I really hope that continues, and when it does Republicans are finished without controlling white women's voting.

2. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

I've had women at houses I've canvassed tell me almost proudly that they vote for whomever their husbands vote for. Or "Oh, I don't vote, my husband does."

HoloDoc, hobbsyoyo and MaryKB like this.
  3. metatron

metatron deplorable ally

1. She didn't have security before. What would be the point now? Somebody is going to roll her into a carpet and steal her and then her district (18% "white", 11% "black", 16% Asian, 50% Hispanic) will give Joe Crowley another go?
    What's the plan here for anyone exploiting her unsecurity?

2. Any landlord will get to brag for the rest of their lifes and any financial hardship can be easily compensated for once Congresswoman elect Ocasio-Cortez starts cashing those 14.5k cheques.

3. Has room to entertain?
    In close proximity to the abodes i suggested are...
    ... that high school, a middle school, two elementary schools, about 8 churces - inconveniently ranging from very Protestant to absurdly Protestant - the Frederick Douglass Community Center, the United Planning Organisation Community Center, and - of course - the New Africa Islamic Community Center of D.C.
    Well, and there's also the Temple of Nyame, but i'm not sure if they just give you a room to organise and whatnot.

4. So she can lobby and fundraise?
    Wait, i thought it was part of her thing to, you know, not do that.

4. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

Beto was an El Paso city councilman from 2005 to 2011 and after that served three terms in the House.

HoloDoc, Sommerswerd and hobbsyoyo like this.
  5. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

Haha.

For context:

Berzerker likes this.
  6. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Warlord

This is so much my in-laws. They're terrible people for many reasons but one of the primary issues is that my father-in-law is a sixty year old manchild that makes his wife wait on him hand and foot. A silly, yet instructive, example of this is how they answer the phone:

The husband doesn't like doing it so even if he's sitting next to the phone upstairs as it rings, he'll scream for his wife to come up a flight of stairs and answer it. It doesn't matter if he's watching TV and she's cooking dinner after getting off her own grueling nursing job - he refuses to answer the damn phone.

My wife's whole extended family is like that and the men universally treat their significant others as servants. The cycle hasn't broken for them yet either; they have raised all their male children to be like that. My early 20-something brother-in-law posted on Facebook after the women's marches of 2017 that he couldn't understand why these 'entitled, spoiled b-words couldn't just be happy with all their government handouts'. He wasn't trying to stir controversy, he just genuinely thinks along those lines. The backlash he got bewildered him and he ended up deleting the comment - though not before he had hurled obscenities and taunting insults at everyone who called him on it, of course.

Saying they raised their children like that is actually quite generous. That angsty manchild has a good job because his parents realized he was in fact the dumb as rocks Jimmy I mentioned in another thread and sent him to trade school to become a welder instead of college. Half of the other male offspring went to prison and have harassed female offspring of the family for refusing to run drugs for them and make their parents raise their own children.

I married into complete trash and I really appreciate the soapbox that @MaryKB has given me here to take a massive Donald Trump on them. (joke credit: @HoloDoc )

(For the record - My wife is nothing like the rest and we've been no-contact with them for a few years running)

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    cardgame, Hrothbern, HoloDoc and 2 others like this.
  7. Silurian

Silurian Warlord

Secure and security are not the same thing.
    If someone is not a member of congress they are less likely to have some sort of trouble from a politically motivated person.
    As a person gets higher up in the political establishment the more threats they are likely to attract.

Beto O'Rourke does not have a security service protection team, are you really saying that if he became president that he would not need one, what would be the point he does not have it now.

What would the Landlord brag about. "Yea I had this congress person renting off me but she moved out after three months but she had too pay to rent it for a few more months after she left." But he does not say about the three other tenants who moved out because of the hassle from reporters and the increase in length of void times for the next year. She will not be compensating the landlord for his loss of earnings she will be renting somewhere else.

I don't know if you have ever had a diner party but I would not want to hold one in the local church.

You do realise that everyone in the US congress does not agree with each other. If a congress person is to do their job properly they have to talk to other members of congress and try to persuade them to act in ways that they believe will help their constituents.

8. Bamspeedy

Bamspeedy We'll dig up the road!

I think being able to host a dinner party is of minimal concern. The problem is coming up with cash for security deposit and rent for the first few months until receiving the big paychecks.

Not many landlords allow anything shorter than a 1 year lease (efficiencies and motel rooms excluded)

9. Silurian

Silurian Warlord

Landlords want tenants who will stay and not move out when they start getting those big paychecks because the property does not meet their needs.
    There is also the risk that the big pay checks may allow her to get help to get out of the lease before one year especially if other tenants let reporters into the building or give interviews about her.

10. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Boba Fett

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Fair enough, didn't know that.

HoloDoc, Phrossack, Dekker and 3 others like this.
  11. metatron

metatron deplorable ally

Look, could you stop being all reasonable about it.
    You are making me explain humor and thus ruining it which - by way of the International Convention on Cliche - is supposed to be my job, not yours.

HoloDoc and Silurian like this.
  12. Dekker

Dekker Chieftain

I appreciate the honesty and acceptance but did want to point out that, does this really mean you thought some random handsome Texan decided to run out of the blue for Senate just because he had some great ability to put on a show like with his 'false' humility etc.? Saying he had no experience was repeating a GOP talking point and it seems more and more that is the position many people are taking that is contributing to the state of political discourse today. It was ironic hearing Obama being used to cite experience after the tired shots about his lack of it during his campaigns, similar to Trump saying Obamacare would be at risk if the Dems won big in the midterms (only to catch himself and remember that was supposed to be a positive for his base)

Again you did the right and decent thing to admit where you stood rather than try to argue the point like many would, and it would be great to see more of that overall. Better yet to see opinions being formed from facts over feelings.

13. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Another drone in the hive mind

This is a good post overall, but hits a flat note at the end. We need to get past the idea that people who are wrong are "forming their opinion out of feelings," or are somehow defective. They are being lied to. Fed absolutely massive doses of misinformation every day, it is hard not to get caught regurgitating some. That isn't about feelings, and it isn't even about some lack on the part of the person caught puking.

At the same time we need to honor, as you did, the people who when caught puking will just acknowledge that they swallowed something bad. It is especially important to differentiate how we treat them from how we treat someone who, say for example, has been corrected about the size of Puerto Rico a dozen times and still posts the same outright lie about it. That's going beyond just regurgitating bad information they have been fed and actively participating in spreading the poison of misinformation.

We need to start exhibiting genuine compassion for people who, for whatever reason, exhibit the 'food poisoning' that comes from being fed a steady diet of lies, while at the same time ratcheting up the punishments for those who are cooking them up.

stinkubus, mitsho, hobbsyoyo and 2 others like this.
  14. HoloDoc

HoloDoc Chieftain

The fact that my ex wife voted how I told her was literally the only good thing about that damn woman.

hobbsyoyo and JollyRoger like this.
  15. Silurian

Silurian Warlord

I would regard that as a bad point.
    But I want an equal.

16. Timsup2nothin

Maybe a partner...and in partnerships there does tend to be divisions of labor. My first wife pretty much followed my lead on voting, because she considered taking the time to research candidates and propositions something that only one of us needed to invest the time into doing.

17. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Entangled Retired Moderator Supporter

My wife makes up her own mind and votes it. We do happen to agree though.

18. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

The thought that my wife would vote for someone that I told her to is fricken hilarious.
    I would have to sleep with one eye open.
    And in all honesty I probably would never have married a woman that would think so little of herself.
    We probably have cancelled out each other's vote many times. But it is a good incentive to vote.
    Gotta love her.

HoloDoc and Silurian like this.
  19. HoloDoc

HoloDoc Chieftain

I am far too narcissistic to ever tolerate an equal.

Seriously, I make bad romantic choices. And this chick was literally crazy; she conveniently neglected to tell me she had been involuntarily committed in the past.

20. Timsup2nothin

How is it "thinking little of yourself" to entrust research of political issues to someone else? She was a very busy person, and if she hadn't entrusted it to me she'd have maybe made time to read through the sample ballot statements and trusted a snap judgement as to which candidate claiming to be the greatest thing since sliced bread was telling closer to the truth. Would that have been "better"?