Betrail for Strategic Resources

Henry_X

Warlord
I'm playing as Greeks , I always traded fairly with Carthage , we were MPP-partnes for long periods in the Middle ages and industial, never at war. He was always gracious to me. He had the biggest army , I was pretty weak compared to him ( thanks to my nice neigbours the Persians and Rome ).

Carthage had no Rubber and aluminium, so I trade rubber with him, but he went to war with Egypt to get his own source. My MPP got me into that war too. I planned to take that source so I didn't lose his generous GPT offer. I managed to steal the city right befor he could take it. In modern times , he went back to war with Egypt for aluminium. Again MPP, when I also got that city, he made peace with Egypt and started immidiatly at war with me, splitting my army :(

I got Rop , MPP , and 2 gpt resource trades ( rubber and a lux. ) with him. He went from gracious to furious in 1 turn :eek: . At first I was amazed and a bit frightend, but now he's almost pathetic with his gay-rilla's, I took his horses and salpeter too :) . And I have embargo's against him.

What's even more amazing , now at peace he remains furious and doesn't want to trade any strat resource with me. Even if I propose his territory map for rubber. I gave him salpeter and horses for free, so he could build a fast unit too ( cavalry ). Now he has something to stop those egyptian tanks from retreating.

The game will probably be a space race victory, maybe domination but I doubt it, don't feel like expanding more.

I have no idea what you're talking about, be more clear. Let me see if i understand this at all. You and Carthage are friendly and have a MPP. He needs aluminum and rubber, so he goes to war with egypt for it, but you stupidly take it from egypt, and now hes at war with you to get it.

"I got Rop , MPP , and 2 gpt resource trades ( rubber and a lux. ) with him. He went from gracious to furious in 1 turn . At first I was amazed and a bit frightend, but now he's almost pathetic with his gay-rilla's, I took his horses and salpeter too . And I have embargo's against him."

i don't know what you mean by that at all.

You say stupidly , I say strategicly. Not letting him get his own rubber has very likely won me the game :
1) I got 70 gold per turn for about 50 turns, which allowed me to spend more on researching/buying new technologies.
2) The same gpt trade was a huge cost for him, preventing him to spend the money on research or upgrading units.
3) After the war declaration, he was cut off from rubber. So he could build tanks & infantry. When I destroyed his first attack wave, he had only cavalry and guerilla's, who were no match for my infantry and tanks.

Without that move Carthage would have been able to build a much bigger army and start construction of the spaceship (aluminium). He was more advanced, more productive and had a bigger army. At the end of the game he had only one 6-size city on a small island left.

I was just amazed that he broke an MPP and 2 active trades. This did huge damage to his reputation.

games are won by controlling vital resources, therefore always in a war or in early expansion phase, grab control of as many resources as possible

Henry X played the game correctly in taking control of those cities and resources, I would always do the same thing also, control of rubber, oil aluminium will win the game for you.

Control of iron, horses, saltpetre in earlier stages also vital to become dominant in game

Okay, Trev is the only one who's not ******ed here besides Henry_X.

You other two are saying Henry should've just let Carthage get their our supply of rubber so that he'd have one less resource to make Carthage pay for. How gay is that.

If you're trying to win the game, Henry, do exactly what you did.

Only thing you did wrong was not have a strong enough military.

Regarding strategic resouces...

I like the role they play in this game, but I seem to always get screwed by them. For example they always run out in 20 turns or less, and I usually only have 1 reappear the whole game. (Only to have it run out in 20 turns) It is not uncommon to be without any iron, coal or oil the whole game. Then I will go to war with someone to get it, (costing me a lot of money and science) only to have it dissappear two turns later. I would think that out of the 20 games or so I've played, I would have played one game where getting strategic resouces was not a problem. Is this just part of the game? How many other people experience this?

That's a pretty cool summary of why the AI does what it does when it comes to trading resources. Thanks HenryX!

For what it's worth, in my current game as the Persians, I'm beating up on the pathetic Koreans, and at one time second place Carthaginians, pretty heavily. Since I knew I was going to have to attack Carthage to stop his spread and possible win, I MPP'd with Japan, who unfortunately had already built Women's suffrage. So now I've been forced to use Communism instead of Democracy. Maybe all these wars explains why Japan has finally un-allied with me - he knows he's next on my hitlist! ROFL!

Originally posted by mwalsma
Regarding strategic resouces...

I like the role they play in this game, but I seem to always get screwed by them. For example they always run out in 20 turns or less, and I usually only have 1 reappear the whole game. (Only to have it run out in 20 turns) It is not uncommon to be without any iron, coal or oil the whole game. Then I will go to war with someone to get it, (costing me a lot of money and science) only to have it dissappear two turns later. I would think that out of the 20 games or so I've played, I would have played one game where getting strategic resouces was not a problem. Is this just part of the game? How many other people experience this?

I can see you're a newbie of sorts. :) Don't worry, I was having the exact same problems when I first picked up Civ3, and I've played Civ2 and Civ1 fanatically for many years too!

Keep reading the strategy and tips sections, as well as the articles people have written in the "War Academy" section of this website. It will make you a MUCH better player - I guarantee it! I now play successfully on Monarch level every game, and am thinking of starting my next game at Emperor level for an even bigger challenge.

The key to getting the right resources is getting to know what types of terrain they will appear on - Iron on hills and mountains, oil in deserts, and rubber in jungle (or former jungle) tiles. Once you get used to that, it's easier to plan where you need to expand towards the quickest for securing much needed resources later in the game.

Good luck! :goodjob:

Another clue that resources will be available somewhere is if you a AI city on a very illogcal location and you can't image why the AI built his city there. After you hit the modern area you will see there some kind of resource. Cheaters :D

Mwalsma , either you start a lot of those games on a "new" world or you don't expand enough in the early stages of the game.

You can set the age of the world , which determines the number of mountains and hills and the resources. If you choose one time a new world and didn't change it , it will start default for every game.

You have to expand guessing locations of resources, see you get almost all variations of terrain , like the others said. If you decide jungle is to much work to clear and don't want to expand into it , you'll possibly don't find rubber , etc. I hardly ever have a game where I miss an "old" strategic resource, and often have some over to trade. But you can't avoid a war or 2 to get all of them." Try not to fight solo, but not restricted in an alliance or MPP too. Make the most of every war you get involved in and try get your objectives with minimal war-time. Don't try to annihilate a civ if you only want/need a bordercity.

Top Bottom