1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Better Effects of Future Science

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by King Phaedron, Aug 21, 2020.

1. King Phaedron

King Phaedron Chieftain

+5% to city projects... And then we have the Synthetic Technocracy, +30% to city projects. Why would Anyone in their right mind want additional production for city projects? They complete in 2-4 turns in every city! Why do the devs want me to select production for all of my cities, every.... single.... turn?

How about this:

Future Science: +1 Combat Strength and +1 Ranged Combat Strength (If applicable) to all land and naval units, except Giant Death Robots. (To a maximum of +20) and +2% resistance to nuclear radiation for all land units (Except robots) up to a maximum of 30%. +1 Ranged Combat Strength for Jet Bombers against Cities.

Let me tell you what the endgame is like. Your Science is high, so if you aren't doing the space race, you might be interested in war, or you might have already won the game and be interested in war anyway.

At some point (Before you have an army of Death Robots, if you have the Uranium to support them) it begins to take about 20 Jet Bombers to beat down a city. Jet Bombers become nothing more then unit killers, air pillagers, and nuclear delivery systems. So if it's a serious war, you are just going to nuke down the cities. All land units and naval units are so weak it isn't worth using them at all. (In mean in Civ 5 an army of Missle Cruisders was Godly)

Then you send in the modern armors to take the cities. If the city is not 100% beaten down, and the Tank is not 100% healed, the Tank will die every time, because the city defense is like 140 or higher. When the Tank does take the city, it will die on the next turn from radiation poisoning. So if you ever want to capture a late game city, you need an expendible Modern Armor or Helicopter and Nuclear Device per city.

What exactly is "Future Science," Might it be some advances in military technology that result in slightly more powerful units? Why not?

And don't tell me it's overpowered. If I play Aztec all my units will have +25 combat strength because I own every type of Luxury resource in the world. +5 More with the Spear of Fionn. There is no way to contend with that. But what if Aztec were lacking in science, and a Science obsessed science has researched Future Tech a bunch of times. They haven't quite had the production to finish up their space race projects and building their Space ports, because I've been at war with them, but their science is top notch. They need help. They can't hope to fight the Aztec without the extra buffs.

2. Kwami

Kwami Emperor

Are you just going to be rude and condescending in all of your threads?

The +X% toward projects is useful for completing the space race projects and for completing Science projects to get the technologies that you need to unlock those space race projects.

Vandlys, Datgingah, Zaarin and 2 others like this.
  3. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

I didn't even know a bonus existed. Does it stack for multiple future techs?

4. oSiyeza

oSiyeza Prince

He is not wrong in projects being annoying in the long term.

In a game that is built to make the player have as many cities as possible. The lack of puppet cities and options such as gold or science focus with no turn limit is a terrible mistake that makes me want to not have cities.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
    Sostratus and 8housesofelixir like this.
  5. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

City projects aren't always worthless.
    Like what's been mentioned most of the time when you choose Royal Society or Synthetic Technocracy for your government, you want to use those bonuses towards the Spaceport projects for the science victory. Future Science bonus toward city projects is obviously reflecting the Spaceport projects too.

The new Court Festival project for Catherine is quite useful for these as well as Brazil's Carnival project.

These come to late to help with Holy Site Prayers though but that is also a good project early game if you want a Great Prophet to found a religion.

6. oSiyeza

oSiyeza Prince

Agree, but the addition of focus with no expiration and some automation would make late game better.

7. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Deity

The +5% bonus is useful. Suppose you have 2,500 production per turn( that's what a usual endgame will be like), and the only thing you can build is city projects, and +5% means 125 additional production per turn, for every 3,120 science you spent on future science. That's not a bad deal if you don't focus everything on victory conditions but just trying to build up your empire.

acluewithout and 8housesofelixir like this.
  8. Buktu

Buktu Warlord

Exactly this!
    Not to mention there is a production queue so you can just throw in a bunch of projects and just deal with the city every once in a while when those are done.
    If you ever want to build more projects at all. I mean if you are that far in the game you can just build the speed up projects for the space race in every city with a spaceport and builders to feed into those projects in every other city.

9. lotrmith

lotrmith King

:thumbsup:

10. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Idea Fountain

The lack of autonomy is annoying. Generally, cities always had some degree of self-government, so I see no reason why they should be able to spontaneously construct buildings between turns if they choose to. At the very least propose to build something, with you clicking "yes" or "no, i want [change manually]

i think the damning factor with projects really is their fixed cost, as opposed to an indefinite cost (do this until cancelled) or malleable cost (you tell the city for how many turns they have to work on the project). "Work on this for X turn, after turn X gain advantage" works for buildings, but it's a bit weird for something as abstract as a "project".

I find it more annoying with the builders however. Needing to micro that every turn is okay for a while but by the end it just gets annoying. And I haven't even spoken about scouts

11. acluewithout

acluewithout Deity

I really like the Project mechanic, but agree it's repetitive having to repeat them. As others have mentioned, you can loop them via Production Queues. But what would be even better is the ability to "loop" Projects or basically put them on repeat.

I see that Builders can't really be automated because of charges. But I don't see why they can't be automated for things that don't use charges, like repairs or building railways. I'd also be quite happy if you could automate building e.g. Farms.

The other thing I'd really love to automate is Ranged attack, particularly City Ranged attacks. If you're defending, and have lots of ranged units fortified, having to work through every ranged attack can be super annoying. I'm sure if it was auto, the AI would pick sub-optimal targets, but I'd happily live with that to just avoid the tedium of picking each target manually.

I mean, non of this is massive, but would be a small QOL improvement.

12. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Idea Fountain

There are means to make it work. All you need is an interface that allows you to select owned tiles and then choose which tile improvement you want to build there. Any automated builders will come over and expend their charges, automatically.

It's not necessarily what i want for builders but I definitely want it for military engineers and naturalists. building railroads is time-consuming and, worst of all, boring.