Better Navy + Better Barbarians

Isma'il Latif

Chieftain
Being tired of how underused naval combat was in civ3, I made a quick mod that changes a few things in order to stimulate naval combat:

Faster Magnetism: Because so many ships need magnetism, which comes near the late middle age, I made it possible to get magnetism as the 2nd tech in the middle age, by removing astronomy's requirements.

Faster Ships: I doubled all movement for all ships-I think I might increase this

Cheaper Ships: I lowered all ship prices-maybe too low
Better privateer-The privateer is now 3.1.6 and can carry 1 passenger + is used by barbarians

In addition, I made a number of changes to barbarians:

Stronger Barbarians: I made specific barbarian units-Barbarian Warrior is now 2.1.1 (might increase) and the Barbarian Rider is now 3.2.3

Cooler Barbarians: Barbarians now use the privateer as a sea unit

Less Barbarian Advantage: I've halved the advantage the human player has over barbarians.

I added a few things to make use of the game's "Hidden Nationality" feature:

Pirate: It's a 2.1.1 unit that can do amphibious assaults and has a hidden nationality. Comes with magnetism. Meant for use on privateer.

Terrorist: It's a 3.2.1 unit that comes with espionage. Has hidden nationality.

I purposely made the Pirate and Terrorist under powerful as to make it impossible to conduct a "secret war," that is killing someone, while they don't know who is attacking.

I haven't tested this at all, except to see if it even runs (which it does). I don't know if it is fun or anything, do to school and school stuff, I don't have much time to test it, so if anyone want's to play it and leave feedback, that would be great:D!

BTW, if it causes your computer to expode and makes you house fall down, I'm not responsible, etc.

Attachments

• navy + barbarians v0.1.zip
    15.7 KB · Views: 528
Well, i played a whole game with the mod, on a tiny map with 1 rival. I got off to a VERY rough start (i had to send 3 or 4 warriors with my settlers to make sure my new cities didnt get destroyed), but as soon as i descovered gunpowder, i was ok. I LOVED the inmproved navel combat. Before your mod i had never had a serious navel battle with another country. 1 more thing: i know you didnt want this to happen, but i was able to conduct a "secret war" with terrorists and pirates. i only got a few cities, but it basiclly secured my domination. you should either make terrorists limited to certain governments or civs (how many democratic terrorists do you know) or just make a lot more secret units and make secret wars a ok thing.

Democratic civs should befinately get Terrorists. Hell, the Afghan war against the USSR was practicaly run by the good ol' US of A.

We made similar changes to the movement of ships in the Balancer mod. We didn't change all ships to double though. As an effort to help control the AI exapansion problem we left the earlier ships where they were.

Just to let you know, I'm now in control of this mod. It's probably going to end up as a "Cool Features" mod, using various civ3 features that are under-used (eg. hidden nationality).

And I will keep it possible to conduct a secret war, think US in Afghanistan, versus the soviets.

Originally posted by AnarchyIsGreat
you should either make terrorists limited to certain governments or civs (how many democratic terrorists do you know) or just make a lot more secret units and make secret wars a ok thing.

Civeditor doesn't allow that. We can limit improvements or wonders to a government type but no possibility to limit units to a government.

But the problem I have constated with my own mod it is that secret war are impossible. When you will annex a city with your units with hidden nationality, your agression would be revealed. It is for that I have adopted the LWC concept with mercenaries and terrorist.
I have also put a new unit with hidden nationality between the two.
I think you should rename your pirates.... cause pirates have been always independent. I don't know the english word for "fibustier" (here in french) but I think it would be better.

Top Bottom