Better RoM: Government Civics

This will not slow the game down will it?

No. Everything is computed in the Engine. The only thing I added was a new XML tag, and the game now saves your commerce rate from the last turn to compare to your current one. The speed difference is negligible. I would never slow the game down. :p

For the record, the United Kingdom is not a monarchy in the governmental sense. It founded the Westminster Parliamentary style and is a representative democracy. The monarchical commonwealth represents the state, not the government, as the Queen has only ceremonial power.

Interesting, but what's your point? The Monarchy is just a figurehead, so really, it's a Republic or Democracy.

I was just responding to Killtech's assumption that the British Commonwealth was a governmental commonwealth according to his variant system :)

We're a Parliamentary Democracy in Civ terms. The Parliamentary icon even appears to be a screenshot from the House of Commons :p

I was just responding to Killtech's assumption that the British Commonwealth was a governmental commonwealth according to his variant system :)

We're a Parliamentary Democracy in Civ terms. The Parliamentary icon even appears to be a screenshot from the House of Commons :p

Yeah you are right. although the Queen is assumed head-of-state she yields near to no political power. so de-facto the UK must be characterized as a democratic federation same as Germany - even though the UK spents so much money of the royal house. i just miss now a example for a 'democratic commonwealth' :(. the only thing i know of form history that comes near was the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth where the king was indeed elected and held real political power. the problem was that only the aristocracy - the 'szlachta', the nobility - was allowed to vote.

Afforess so if I only adjusted the tax slider by 5% per turn I don't get anarchy? because that would be 1/2 a turn and 50 percent rounds to 0

am I correct?

Afforess so if I only adjusted the tax slider by 5% per turn I don't get anarchy? because that would be 1/2 a turn and 50 percent rounds to 0

am I correct?

No. I thought of that. I wasn't sure if I should leave that in (So that taxes could only be adjusted by small amounts), but for the moment, if it divides and finds a remainder, it adds 1 to the anarchy length. So even 5% will cause anarchy. However, if that causes too many complaints, I might switch back to rounding down.

If you drop a frog in a pot of boiling water, it will of course frantically try to clamber out. But if you place it gently in a pot of tepid water and turn the heat on low, it will float there quite placidly. As the water gradually heats up, the frog will sink into a tranquil stupor, exactly like one of us in a hot bath, and before long, with a smile on its face, it will unresistingly allow itself to be boiled to death.

if you catch my drift

If you drop a frog in a pot of boiling water, it will of course frantically try to clamber out. But if you place it gently in a pot of tepid water and turn the heat on low, it will float there quite placidly. As the water gradually heats up, the frog will sink into a tranquil stupor, exactly like one of us in a hot bath, and before long, with a smile on its face, it will unresistingly allow itself to be boiled to death.

if you catch my drift

So, if I added a global define that users could tweak per there own settings (disabling rounding up), would it make you happier?

Because of i lack comments - both critics and supportive - on my proposal i'll be just bold enough to repost it.

Govermens:
Disorganized (formerly Chiefdom):
  • +100% Mnt. for dist. to Palace (no government organization)
  • +100% Mnt. for number of Cities (no government organization)
  • *no Civic Upkeep
  • *does not allow to pick any non-default power civic
    [*]-4 local Rev-stability trough foreign cultue (we want back into out home country)
    [*]-2 national Rev-stability (no state authority)
    [*]-4 national Rev-stability (no state authority)

Monarchy:
  • +60% Mnt. for dist. to Palace
  • +40% Mnt. for number of Cities
  • *low Civic Upkeep
  • +50% :hammers: in Capital (centralized)
  • +10% :science:, :hammers: in n larges Cities (centralized)
  • +1 :thumbsdown: unhappiness in every City (no voice in the Government)
  • -20% War :thumbsdown: (strong leadership)
    [*]-3 local Rev-stability (centralization malus)
    [*]-2 national Rev-stability (no room for political debate in one-ruler system)

Commonwealth:
  • - 50% Mnt. for number of Cities (federal)
  • *high Civic Upkeep
  • +1 :thumbsdown: unhappiness in every City (no voice in the Government)
  • -10% War :thumbsdown: (strong leadership)
    [*]-1 local Rev-stability trough foreign cultue (we want back into out home country)
    [*]+2 local Rev-stability (federal bonus)
    [*]-3 national Rev-stability (no political debate in one-ruler system)

Republic (Parliamentarian Rep.):
  • +50% Mnt. for dist. to Palace
  • +10% Mnt. for number of Cities
  • *normal Civic Upkeep
  • +30% :hammers: in Capital (centralized)
  • +15% :science:, :hammers: in n larges Cities (centralized)
    [*]-3 local Rev-stability trough foreign cultue (we want back into out home country)
    [*]-2 local Rev-stability (centralization malus)
    [*]-4 national Rev-stability (political debate bonus)

Federation (Parliamentarian Fed.):
  • -50% Mnt. for dist. to Palace (federal)
  • -50% Mnt. for number of Cities (federal)
  • *very high Civic Upkeep
  • +10% War :thumbsdown:
    [*]-5 local Rev-stability trough foreign cultue (we want back into out home country)
    [*]+3 local Rev-stability trough foreign cultue (federal bonus)
    [*]+2 national Rev-stability (political debate bonus)

Presidential Republic: (i don't want to split that up into federal/centralized; no names for that)
  • *normal Civic ukpeep
  • +5% :science:, :hammers: in n larges Cities (small centraliztion bonus)
  • -10% War :thumbsdown: (strong leadership)
    [*]-2 local Rev-stability trough foreign cultue (we want back into out home country)

Power:
  • Martial Law / Military Rule - (inherits most properties form Desportism)
  • Police state - (inherits most properties form Fashism)
  • Hereditary - not allowed with Republic or Federation
  • Arictocracy
  • Democracy - (inherits properties from Democracy)
  • Plutocracy
  • Theocracy
  • Soviets - not allowed with Monarchy or Commonwealth

with this civic system some names disappered. but they are sill there:
Despotism = military rule + Monarchy/Commonwealth
Fashism = police state + Presidential/Monarchy
Junta = military rule + Presidential/Republic/Federation (the junta is a concil of military leaders)
'Communism' = artistocratic (~communist party) + Presidential (seldom Republic/Federation)

EDIT:
* i simplified the centralization boni to the essentials (game relevant because centralized empires need to be small due to maintenace)
* i just realized that my classification doen't differe much from RoMs except that i've switched government and power civics.
* btw. my classifications follows the wiki classifcation in German articles: 'Regierungssytem' (governance system) de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regierungssystem and 'Herrschaftsform' (form of authority) de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herrschaftsform
* added Revolutions mod modifiers in grey. governemnt civics should be balaced with or without them.
* i've added a presidential governments system so there's nearly no real system that cannot be described by this civics now i think. the presidential system is a kind of mix between a one ruler system and a parliament.

i'm eager to hear some feedback. ideas on boni/mail changes. everything!

Incredible Os79, a mindreader.

Eludcidus, be specific about what you mean. In all likelihood, I can add anything (given time), but I need to know what I'm adding first. :p
SOrry for the delay I am away at school. I don't have specifics, just general ideas on how to add to teh modability of the game. Anything a civic can do, can you make a tech mod it. So for instance, you discover banking and despotism gives a 10% bonus to gold, but a +10% maintenance penalty, while slavery gives a +1 instability penalty. I have nothing in mind as of yet, modding civ3 has taught me, maybe inappropriately to figure out if something can be done before I design what i want to be done.

I haven't really looked at all the partial posts here but I did find nothing pertaining to it in my scan. I think you probably should also add in place of Communism the exact opposite as the Corpocracy since it has been pretty much established that the US is heading towards now. I think it was a government option in one of the future mods in Civ III that was called Proxynation. I have a vague idea on how to make corporations more useful in conjunction with the new civic but want to hear some feedback first.

Top Bottom