Better than SoD, better than #UPT

King Victor I

Chieftain
Before this mod, the last one I was enthused about was Realism Invictus. I have seen some debates here about Sod vs. #UPT, and I find RI's solution elegant and highly playable.

There is a logistics limit which starts at I think 8 and rises when you get certain technologies. Imperial leaders get a bonus of +2 IIRC
Having more than this number of units in a tile starts to produce escalating strength penalties of up to 35%, and terrain movement and healing rate are also adversely affected at higher density.
Since the code for this already exists in the RI mod, it seems that it would be less work to patch it in than to write something new (he said, while knowing little about writing code).

I don't think we are looking for any new major mechanics at this time. If we get to the point where AND is considered "finished", then we can look at other mechanics. But I want to wrap up the things I have already started.

Since xUPT is often causing errors and bugs because the AI doesn't fully understand it I think we should really consider this logistics mechanic. It's often reported that a low xUPT is causing infinite AI turn loops or even CTDs.
The question is: Adding such a major feature solves or creates more bugs? If it solves, than it should be added, whether AND is finished or not.

To my understanding 45 is familiar with both RI code and the mod itself so I'm very curious about his opinion in this question.

The word that I always think of when I see mechanic suggestions like these is inappropriate. This is a strategic game, not a tactical one; given the scale of the map and the speed of the game, the question should be "can this civilization raise and maintain an army of this size", not "where are these units placed". I don't care for any suggestion about limiting the movement of units once they are built.

If there's a problem with low xUPT, then that should individually be removed. I never play with it myself. But don't compound the problem with another overly-fiddly mechanic. I think we have enough problems to fix at the moment.

I've considered the option before but I am not sure it's something easy to merge, especially if we need AI to fully understand the problems of stacking many units if logistic is included. Besides, as Vokarya said, I'd rather finish the mod before adding some extras like this and possibly other features like Active Senate.

I've considered the option before but I am not sure it's something easy to merge, especially if we need AI to fully understand the problems of stacking many units if logistic is included.
Okay. Fair enough.

I'd rather finish the mod before adding some extras like this and possibly other features like Active Senate.
What do you mean by "finishing the mod"? Getting a finale version of AND2 and than probably abandoning the project? Or just pushing out a new, 2.x version full installer?

What do you mean by "finishing the mod"? Getting a finale version of AND2 and than probably abandoning the project? Or just pushing out a new, 2.x version full installer?

Good question. Problem is that at the moment I still don't know. We should probably draw a line at some point, or we will mod forever. Not that it might be a problem, but, well, I don't like to stop a project because I'm tired of it or users are tired of it.

Good question. Problem is that at the moment I still don't know. We should probably draw a line at some point, or we will mod forever. Not that it might be a problem, but, well, I don't like to stop a project because I'm tired of it or users are tired of it.

I think I have an idea of where I'm going to stop, but I don't know how long it will take me to get there.

I know I have a lot of things that I personally think are cool to add, but also think are a lot of clutter for the AND mod at its base, so I'm going to implement them as modmods.

Maybe you (as a team) should write down you goals and stick to that as much as possible.
Once you have reached those goals you can publish a new full version of AND2 and than start for a new version if still interested.

We care about the positioning of cities. Why would we care less about the positioning of forces that defend or annex them?

We care about the positioning of cities. Why would we care less about the positioning of forces that defend or annex them?

Compare how many times per game you build a city with how many times per game you attack with a unit, or even position it for defense. I would not want to put the same emphasis on the two. The former I can handle; the latter sounds to me like micromanaging hell.

Compare how many times per game you build a city with how many times per game you attack with a unit, or even position it for defense. I would not want to put the same emphasis on the two. The former I can handle; the latter sounds to me like micromanaging hell.

Not to mention workload for AI calculation.

Top Bottom