1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Beware!: mutual friends in war

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Dueck, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Dueck

Dueck Walrold

I learned this the very hard and painful way. If you and an enemy both have open borders with someone, you can both move into that civ's cities, which will cause combat. This applies even to situations you wouldn't expect - land, naval, and air units all enter some form of combat.

For some reason, I thought this wouldn't happen to a massive squadron of fighters who I was going to use to bombard an enemy fleet... that fleet waltzed into the city and destroyed all of my fighters.

The order of supremacy goes something like this, I think... for being in a city,
    1. Land
    2. Sea
    3. Air
    I.e. land will always destroy sea and air units, no contest, and sea units will always destroy air units, no contest.

Can anyone confirm/deny this? It would also make sense that the city's defense values would not have any effect on the defenders in a land-land combat (besides terrain), and would act as a coastal square in a sea-sea combat.

2. Crighton

Crighton Emperor

Yes, if you have sea or air units in a mutually friendly city and he marches in land units, your units are destroyed. Much the same as if they had been stationed in one of your cities which just been captured by the enemy.

I haven't experienced the sea unit (Battleship, w/e) entering a nutral city and destroying land any stationed air units, but it doesn't sound logical sincy I've never seen a boat on a runway.

3. AngryPants

AngryPants Warlord

You underestimate the raw destructive power of drunken sailors on shore leave.

4. Tan

Tan Chieftain

That's pretty funny. :lol:

It has never happened to me. Would be good to test this out.

5. Dueck

Dueck Walrold

For some reason, when I dock my ships in a friendly city, they get +:yuck: and their population growth rate increases....

6. Cheeze

Cheeze Civ Re-Re-Re-Addict

That does it, AngryPants. I have to put that in my signature and immortalize it for all time (or at least until I find something better).

7. Crighton

Crighton Emperor

Fair point. Anyone know which Tech advance gives you the Shore Patrol?

8. jlindy

jlindy Death From Below

That's what I like about this game no SP's!! Theres no known tech to counter drunken sailors unless hookers are a tech.

9. gotmatt

gotmatt Chieftain

only in the Las Vegas or Da Nang Mods.