Beyond Civilization: Discovering Firaxis - Rock Paper Shotgun

Karl0413

Prince
Somebody else got a tour of Firaxis:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/07/23/beyond-civilization-discovering-firaxis/

I think we got a good idea of what Hutama looks like. Also, Purity fighter-bombers.

Also, the religion system didn't make the transition:

Not all of Civ V’s features have survived the transition – Strenger says religion went through several wardrobe changes before being dropped – but the ones that are there will grow along with each campaign.

With religion gone now, I wonder how much breadh the game is going to have compared to a fully expanded CiV. (not counting factions though)

With religion gone now, I wonder how much breadh the game is going to have compared to a fully expanded CiV. (not counting factions though)

I'm especially worried about the social system. You don't have a lot to capture the religion and ideology struggles (not diplomatic AI hate.... But the abitity to force your religion/ideology around the world without using war...and the ability for 'unassimilated areas to persist for a while)

If it meant keeping CiV's religion system exactly as is, I'm glad it is scrapped :)

I kinda think that affinities take the place of religion in terms of gameplay effect. Both serve to give the player choices that will give the player different bonuses.

I kinda think that affinities take the place of religion in terms of gameplay effect. Both serve to give the player choices that will give the player different bonuses.

That's what I thought too. Affinities are too similar with religion and can also spawn wars as to which one is the one true faith.

The gameplay effect of religion and ideology wasn't just to give players different bonuses though.
Nor was it just to add a reason for the AI to hate/like you.

You also had to work to spread those religion bonuses across newly conquered territory.

For both religion and ideology you could also work to spread it into Other civs territory for bonuses without using troops.

Affinity Might be able to work like that a little bit (if individual cities have an Affinity, it might take investment to spread it to newly conquered cities)

However, the tourism-ideology mechanic where you could get someone to switch ideologies (or cause unhappiness) doesn't work for affinity. It might work for Factions (if you have a lot of cultural influence over a city, then that city will become unhappy if the civ it is in is at war with you)

Wow... you realize that this statement applies to almost anything in a civilization game? :crazyeye:

Wow... you realize that this statement applies to almost anything in a civilization game? :crazyeye:

yes but affinities are like religion in the sense that they are a strong belief system that determines how the society works. I am sure a supremacy person has faith in the supremacy system just like a religious person believes their religion. They believe their affinity is the one way to live.

It might be Kozlov, rather than Hutama.

So I guess it's time to take bets on who's going to be the benevolent Space-Gugarin char.

yes but affinities are like religion in the sense that they are a strong belief system that determines how the society works. I am sure a supremacy person has faith in the supremacy system just like a religious person believes their religion. They believe their affinity is the one way to live.

Not if they just switch affinity immediately with new leadership.

That Harmony's Brawler(?) looks so good. But I don't know if in-game will have a good look or not. Like Elodie sketch and in-game. I prefer her sketch phase more than in-game. She looks more kind. Probably.

I've been thinking that perhaps religion could be a subset of each affinity. There could be say 3 religions for each affinity to give each affinity more nuance. For example, a supremacy player could choose a religion that is the "good" supremacy that gives people a free choice or join or the "evil" supremacy that forces it upon others or the isolationist/contemplative supremacy that believes in meditating on the meaning of their transcendence and leaving the world alone.

That Harmony's Brawler(?) looks so good. But I don't know if in-game will have a good look or not. Like Elodie sketch and in-game. I prefer her sketch phase more than in-game. She looks more kind. Probably.

If you're referring to the artwork, it's the Marauder and in game looks like this

I've been thinking that perhaps religion could be a subset of each affinity. There could be say 3 religions for each affinity to give each affinity more nuance. For example, a supremacy player could choose a religion that is the "good" supremacy that gives people a free choice or join or the "evil" supremacy that forces it upon others or the isolationist/contemplative supremacy that believes in meditating on the meaning of their transcendence and leaving the world alone.

Well It seems that what you are talking about is more of a general social (freedom v order v equality v elitism v security v diversity v unity, etc.)

And They definitely should have a system for that... but it shouldn't really be tied directly into affinities (although it should be affected by them.)

It seems that both Affinities and Virtues don't really allow for that..... (since Virtues are all tied to particular bonuses)

Maybe they have some quests that allow that...quests where you can either "Liberate" your people or "Unite" them or "Protect" them

That would be an excellent way to tie it into the Virtue system... the "kickers" wouldn't have fixed benefits, instead each time you got a kicker you would make a choice.... and that would give you ongoing benefits... (and for later kickers you could have the opportunity for 'small change' or 'massive revolution'... reseting all the previous to more free)

[You could also have that set in with certain Affinity levels I guess]

Top Bottom