Beyond Earth release date announced (Oct. 24), pre-order bonus + 'Inside Look'!

Just like SMAC was a civ II mod?

@Civ'ed... Um... Maybe you should go back and play Civ II and then SMAC, because while they had some similarities, SMAC was completely a different game. Your statement is akin to saying MoM was just a MoO mod.

Back on topic, no pre-order for me, especially after reading this quote from McDonough the co-creator:

My favorite Civ was Civilization Revolution, actually.
Source: article

It appears at first glance this game is just Civ 5 in space, a quick money grab. Pass!

I have not played SMAC. Clearly I am not allowed to have an opinion on it.
You have not played CivBE. Yet it is clearly a civ V mod, despite having things base civ V cannot do?

Moderator Action: Please stop getting personal, stick to the subject matter of the thread.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

In addition, a pre-order bonus has been announced - the 'Exoplanets Map Pack'. The official Civilization twitter account clarified that this contains 'six custom maps inspired by real exoplanets'.
Late to the party. Sorry if this is pretty much Old News by now.

Anyway, I just wanted to chime in to say that the pre-order bonus really isn't any kind of motivation to me. One of the absolute appeals to pretty much ALL Civ games was the fact that EVERY game could have an absolutely unique world map. It made exploration real, as the player pokes around to see what he could see. I really do NOT want to have replayable maps. So, I guess I'll be waiting to see what else they come up with for an incentive.

On a different topic, there are things I'm wondering about.

I'm sure somebody has mentioned that undoubtedly there will be a LOT of similarities to Alpha Centauri. But to honest, from the little I've seen, other than a hexagonal map grid and inimical native life forms, I really don't see that much in common. I can tell already that it will take several playthroughs to get a handle on what is the "best" path to follow in the tech web.

Things that I wonder about most are:

1) Alien planet. Light-years from Earth. Undoubtedly to duplicate the struggle between competing civs there will be other colonies on that alien planet. ALL of the Earth-born arrived at the same time (approximately)? And this is happening EVERYWHERE in the galaxy? I wonder how a game would play out if it was just you versus the planet.

2) Being a couple hundred years in our future, the player's group would be starting out with an assortment of what to us would all be Future Tech. Certainly won't have to start out by learning Pottery and Agriculture! Makes for some intriguing speculation as to what those techs will be.

3) Will there be communication with Earth? That would open a number of fascinating possibilities. Undoubtedly there will be some kind of Ancient Alien Artifacts of some Precursor civilizations. (All of which died out eons before the first human stood upright to walk about.) Each planet would uncover some clues as to what happened with the Ancients on that planet. Earth coordinates the reports and the History of the Ancients would start to unfold, piece by piece. I'd love to know just why it is that they don't exist anymore.

4) Too bad there's only three Affinities. (Then again, Civ V only had three choices for the same mechanic.) More choices more for more variety, allowing for more customizable play styles.

I guess all that will do for now.
Reposting to BE forum.

Top Bottom