1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice

Beyond Earth - Rising Tide at 30% discount! This is madness!

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by Teodosio, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Teodosio

Teodosio Warlord

2. Lucius_

Lucius_ King

I don't understand how GMG makes money, but whatever, not my problem. lol

3. Gort

Gort Emperor

By Grabthar's Hammer. What a savings.

4. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

Just keep in mind that GMG usually only accepts refunds for pre-purchased titles BEFORE pre-loading of is available. Only pre-order on GMG if you're sure that you want to buy the expansion even if it turns out to be bad.

5. Teodosio

Teodosio Warlord

Yes they often offer crazy discounts. I believe that are able to do that because they spend zero on marketing. Have you ever seen one ad from GMG? They basically rely on word of mouth only, and it works for them! :)

6. 3of5

3of5 Recycling Vats Technician

the voucher also seems to work with other games like X-COM2, but i think only until Sept. 18th.

7. HughFran

HughFran Prince

Thanks for the heads up - I will pre-order today!!

8. LORD ORION

LORD ORION Warlord

9. Teodosio

Teodosio Warlord

Still valid! Up to September 21st!

10. Minor Annoyance

Minor Annoyance Deity

Got me order in. Thanks for the tip.
    I don't understand how any third party seller of digital downloads works. A physical product I could buy from the publisher and they'd ship it to me or they can sell it to a site/store that has the product shipped to them and then I buy it from them and have it shipped to me. There's a supply chain there and a middle man that serves a purpose, usually having to do with the physical location of the product they're sending me, and how near it is to me.
    I don't understand how a download needs a middleman.
    I'm paying Green Man Games, who pays 2K Games, so I can download software from steam/valve? Is my game being bundled with sub-prime mortgages and credit default swaps?
    I guess I don't need to know, the game works either way, but this buying and selling of things that don't exist makes my brain hurt.

11. Ryika

Valve probably just gets a fixed cut from the sale. The advantage for them is that these third-party websites lead users back to steam instead of creating/fueling alternatives that could loosen valves grip on the digital games market. The third party websites make money for the people they employ and the end user has halve a dozen or so sites that offer deals to get their attention - and even many of the non-sales are a few €/$ cheaper than on steam. They have also got a direct integration of Playfire which, for reasons I don't understand, people seem to like.

12. Galgus

Galgus Emperor

What is playfire?

13. Ryika

A Social Network for Gamers.

14. Halbbruder

Halbbruder Prince

Is that like a private internet network for gamers? I'm asking this because I've seen the youtube advert WTFast, which purports to resolve game lag and packet loss simply by creating its own network where there are fewer routers and less traffic from other sources.

15. x2Madda

x2Madda Prince

"What is playfire?"
    You know what Facebook is? Its like that.

WTFast is snake oil by another name. If your ISP is throttling you then their is no way to bypass that. Ports might need opening or your home network might need optimizing but outside of that nothing is going to wave a magic wand and fix your internet connection if your ISP is the issue.

16. Gokudo01

Gokudo01 Emperor

17. Hail

Hail Satan's minion

those, who really count their pennies, do not pre-order. :D

18. Teodosio

Teodosio Warlord

You are right but this is Civilization after all... :p

19. Acken

Acken Deity

GMG doesn't distribute and store the data. They send you a key and you download from steam. Their operational costs are way lower.

Steam on the other hand makes the bet that concentrating so many gamer on the same platform allows them to more easily have exposure and sell their product.

20. Teodosio

Teodosio Warlord

You are right about Steam, but there are several other shops that just provide Steam keys and Greenmangaming is able to undercut those too! :p