1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Beyond Earth Rising Tide worth it? I've played this weekend

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by BobeBrown, Nov 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

Fair point. The OP actually has been more reasonable than Westwall. I guess what I should have said is that Westwall is supporting the OP because the OP agrees with him that BE is a horrible game.

2. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

I just wish there was a little more positivity on this forum for BE. :( It might be flawed but it is a neat game that is getting better with each patch and expansion.

3. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

I think there would be more positivity if it had been a better game. It's curious that you think the lack of positivity is to blame on the players, and not the game.

4. Westwall

Westwall Emperor

Yeah, damn that Westfall. If I ever see him, I'll learn him just for you, Ryika. Because I really like your Blizzard 4x idea.

Well yes. Apparently the players are now the ones at fault for not liking bad game design.

That makes them unreasonable, you see.

5. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

Dear Westwall,

it has been brought to my attention that I recently misspelled your name:

I just want you and everyone who may be reading this to know that this was of course by accident, and given that I very much regret my mistake I want to take this chance to publicly apologize. How could I make such a glaring mistake, typing the wrong letter. I don't think the word 'Westfall' has any actual meaning other than being an area in World of Warcraft, a game that I played for a long time, which is probably why I misspelled the word, so I hope you understand that there was no bad intention in my post. If I my intention had been to troll you I would most certainly have called you "Westfail", because this would have been a very obvious insult that even my low-intellect could have thrown together.

But please don't get this wrong - I am not trying to explain away my mistake. I should have been more careful. I SHOULD HAVE BEEN MORE CAREFUL! Yes. It is true. I can not repeat it often enough. I should have been. Muscle memory should NEVER be allowed to lead to situations like this!

But, what happened happened and I hope you can forgive me and we can continue to foster a great relationship in these forums. Please do not let this incident blind you of the great conversations that we had.

So with that said, I want to make an announcement: Starting tomorrow, for a whole week I will devote 2 hours every day to humbly reminding myself of what great times we had on these forums and how many productive conversations we had, no, more than that - how many more productive conversations we could be having in the future.

I hope you accept my genuine apology and I hope you acknowledge the effort that I'm putting to make sure that I not only meet the standards of these forums, no, I want to show the world that I can do better than that. Because in the end... if it not us who make the world a better place, who will?

Anyway. I see that one could easily make the argument that I am asking for another infraction by creating this post, some may even accuse me of using irony and sarcasm and those people would of course be very, very wrong. But I would not fault anyone for thinking that this is what I am doing because while I am very, very serious it is often hard to understand that in written word.

Either way, I realize that this post is already somewhat off topic again, so I will add some extra content below to make sure I contribute to the conversation.

Sincerely,
    Riyka

I agree!

6. Westwall

Westwall Emperor

I loved that zone!

7. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

Yes, it is - or rather was - a really nice zone. Although I have many, many bad memories of that zone. Those Murlocs and the damn Defias Mages in Moonbrook gave me a hard time when the game had just released.

But it's also the zone with the very first Instance - the Deadmines - I ever did. Took longer than most BRD-Runs that I did on Level 60.

Unfortunately it has been somewhat ruined in Cataclysm. New story is cool and all, but it's just not what it was before anymore.

8. Callonia

Callonia Deity

I remember resurrecting randoms i just grouped up with for fun on my paladin in westfall. :lol: And you made me remember those pretty nasty murlocs in the northern part of westfall.. I believe taht's where I used the resurrection for first time. About deadmines.. I didn't really have that much problem with randoms in it. I was pretty good at people alive in it unless they managed to find a way to leeroy so hard that its impossible to do anything. But lets stay on the topic XD

I'm currently playing through a game atm with new patch up. ARC warned me about repeating the mistake for opening the exodus gate while Elodie attacked me immediately after warning me of my foolishness. I've been kinda just screwing around to see how she's doing against me.

Elodie been throwing her forces against one of my port cities which if she does manage to take will give her magrail access to one of my science cities, and western port, and the exodus gate located further north.

Problem is I have true battlesuits posted on the shores and true lev destroyers having fun bombarding everything with predators and wardens firing like there's no tomorrow.

Elodie tried to sneak a bunch of xeno cavalries to cities just east of exodus gate but my sentry spotted them and retreated into the city and support rushed there so they've been sitting there for awhile now instead of attacking the eastern city. I got no inclination to push into the water because i lack naval presence in this big inland sea. SO furious bombardment on my shores it is then.

I chose to build the exodus gate in mediocre city with mediocre production to see if it will give them enough time to stop me or not. And it's also faraway from my capital.

9. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

The beautiful thing about opinions is that everyone can have a valid point.

There is definitely an interesting contrast between the segment of people that defend CiV, and the segment of people that rag on BE. A lot of this is explained away by supposing that BE was supposed to have benefited from CiV's development cycle (which is a fair supposition) by also being as good as or better than BNW (an unfair supposition that demonstrates a lack of understanding of games development).

Hail's posts usually offer good insight on this, even if he and I have vastly differing opinions about BE itself. He's usually one who gets product analysis and game development times correct (or correct as an onlooker can be, myself included).

10. GAGA Extrem

GAGA Extrem Emperor

I think most people are rather positive given the current state BE/RT is in.

11. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

Positivity is not relative, it's a state greater than zero where negativity is a state less than zero (zero having that wonderful state of stateless or combining both states depending on your philosophical outlook and / or love of maths).

You cannot defend negativity by framing it as "positive given the state of X", as that doesn't change the fact that it is a negative state. What Supremacy was obviously referring to was positivity that exceeds the baseline of 0, i.e. actual positive sentiments.

You can be more positive compared to someone else who is negative, while still being negative yourself. You cannot, however, be positive full stop if you're under that baseline.

Thanks for reading! This post was brought to you by "people waiting for the end of work at 5pm on a Friday" :)

12. Westwall

Westwall Emperor

This. There's only so much positivity people can feel about this game. Most of the player base got fed up and either moved on or moved back to Civ 5.

The people still talking about it are trying to understand where things went wrong so that maybe something can be salvaged.

And for that we're hounded by those who would rather tell themselves everything is fine in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

13. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

Gamers can be very negative even about games they love (have a look at the World of Warcraft forums), so expecting a great deal of positive attitude towards a game many (if not most) found very disappointing seems a bit naive.

There is a small percentage of posters here who decided they hated Beyond Earth before they ever played it, but placing everyone who voices criticism of the game now in that group is just wrong.

14. Kutuzov

Kutuzov Prince

You keep persisting in posting this bizarre nonsense. Nobody here thinks everything is fine. Nobody. And people are not being hounded either. :crazyeye:

15. Kutuzov

Kutuzov Prince

Agreed. Negativity is entirely the responsibility of the person. Almost all of us posting here have bought BE and RT and it's exactly the same game for all of us. We're all playing exactly the same game. Therefore our reactions to it reveal our own inner disposition. The same game but the people experiencing it are different. Some are able to enjoy the game immensely in spite of its flaws [party]while others are filled with rage. :badcomp:

The universe is a mirror in which we see only ourselves. If you don't like the reflection, change yourself. :old:

16. Westwall

Westwall Emperor

Exactly right. Unfortunately there are some who would prefer to place all the blame on players for daring to have the audacity to find flaws with games and being disappointed with the overall experience. And when these players point out some steps that could be taken to improve said experience, they're shouted down by those who say we shouldn't demand too much from the developers, that their time is worth more than ours and their resources more limited and precious than ours.

"How dare you not enjoy this game? It's clearly your problem and a reflection of your inner negativity. The state of the game itself is entirely irrelevant."

This is what we're having to contend with, and ultimately what's shielding the developers from criticism; those who would rather treat game designers like children who need to be coddled and nurtured and understood, instead of actual professionals.

It's unfortunate but that's the state of the industry. Companies will continue screwing over players (see the recent Star Wars: Battlefront) and you'll always have diehard fans who have been eased into this machine so gradually that they'll actually defend the system that's screwing them over.

17. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

Problem is, Westwall, speaking honestly, I haven't really seen you post anything original with regards to raising problems about the game. You simply quote people you agree with (or selectively quote lines you agree with) and parrot them.

I think people would understand your position more if you actually explained the bad parts of the game that you tried to understand. As it is, you just repeat that the game is bad and the developers are incompetent, and you seem oddly against anyone criticising the publisher (when it's a known fact that publishers have the most control over funding and timescales involved in a developer project).

You said you'd never buy Rising Tide, but you bought it. By your own admission, you're a part of the problem that rewards developers for mediocre work. Your own logic doesn't hold up to scrutiny, as much as you place people like me on Ignore :)

Sure, but this is a completely different argument to "maybe the game should've been better". You're moving the goalposts, here.

Personally, I'm not placing anyone who criticises in a singular group, and to suggest posters are doing that is rather disingenuous. I evaluate everyone as the unique person that they are. "white knights", "haters", these are all labels to apply to groups that radicalise the debating ground. Black vs. white, right vs. wrong. It's a petty tactic that is emulated from the political level all the way down into insignificant forum threads like this.

There is nothing wrong with asking for more positivity, especially considering the amount of defense even mentioning CiV (or even Civ 4) gets. Why don't you criticise defense of those games? Because you prefer them personally? If so, that would be the source of your bias here.

Because if you don't like BE, that's fine. But other people are allowed to like it, and are probably tired of every thread getting dragged down by the same pessimistic people who have already decided they're not going to like the game nomatter what anyone says.

It just gets repetitive :(

18. Voltage

Voltage Warlord

I agree with the points made. Game feels very stale after 1-2 games.

19. Kutuzov

Kutuzov Prince

Your post is so divorced from reality that it's scary. :crazyeye:

20. Westwall

Westwall Emperor

You're not alone in feeling this way, trust me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.