Beyond Earth, the spiritual successor to Alpha Centarui... not really.

UnlimitedBlades

Chieftain
This might be a issue of expectations and what not, but I still think it's worth addressing. I came into BE thinking it would be something like a squeal to Alpha Centauri. Now I knew it would PLAY like Civ V, that's not what I'm talking about. What Civ:BE is missing is the personality, depth, atmosphere, the "life" that Alpha Centauri had. Game play issues aside, Civ:BE really dropped the ball with it's narration and story.

I'll start with the most obvious factor. The faction leaders are all generic no-names with nothing to truly differentiate them, both in game play and to the player.

In BE: Each faction's bonus has minimal impact on how their faction plays. While it may change a few details in the beginning, each game of BE seems like it follows the same strategy (Go wide, spam trade routes). On the other hand SMAC's faction bonuses had drastic effects on the strategies you would employ, as well as your interactions with other factions. For example as Morgan I would often times focus on getting energy. When threatened I could even use my vast reserves to buy out the enemy army from under them. However one game I was situated near the Gaians. My blatant pollution of the world to gain energy angered them, so I had to switch plans to prevent myself from being overrun by mind worms. Or I would play as the Professor and use a science based strategy. It was very satisfying to take out Miriam's horde of Believers with my superior tech. Then there was Yang and his people. His unique trait of being efficient immune and having free perimeter defenses allowed some interesting strategies no other faction could pull off. Every faction had multiple paths available to them, and interesting interactions with other factions.

The factions leaders have much less lore and personality in BE. Just look at the diplomacy. In BE every leader gives you some Hello, but in SMAC you can really get a sense for the goals of each faction and what their leader is like by what they say.

Another big factor is the technology and wonders. In SMAC each tech has an interesting voice over quote by the faction leader that tech is most relevant too. Take a look at this quote for the "Mind/Machine Interface" technology:

"The Warrior's bland acronym, MMI, obscures the true horror of this monstrosity. Its inventors promise a new era of genius, but meanwhile unscrupulous power brokers use its forcible installation to violate the sanctity of unwilling human minds. They are creating their own private army of demons.

-- Comissioner Pravin Lal ,"Report on Human Rights"
This tech improves probe teams, which has the ability to use mind control technology on enemy units. You can really feel Lal's outrage as you hear him disparage the potential usage of this technology. It also establishes his character as a defender of human rights, true to his UN roots and back story. Every tech in SMAC has something like this, which adds a bit to the game's personality. But that's not the end of it. The tech also has an additional bit of lore that explains the basic theory behind it, and how previous tech allowed this new breakthrough etc.

The wonder's in SMAC are something else entirely. Well that's true game play wise, but the impact on the feelings in the game is there too. Each Wonder, or Secret Project as they were called (A funny misnomer since it's announced to the world when you're almost finished building one) gives you an amazing (for it's time) cinematic delivered with a relevant quote. I still remember the first time I completed The Citizen's Defense force, and was treated to a terrifying image of Mind worms overrunning a base and a warning on how not even the strongest physical defense can stop the mental attacks of those monstrosities. Or the time I created Clinical Immortality... and was shown exactly what that meant by the movie of a brain in a jar haha. Each project has far reaching implications on both game play and lore. While in BE... I get some random quote about mythical creatures with no relation to what I built and a random wire frame image of something I can barely figure out what it is. There's no impact AT ALL.

Civ BE could have benefited greatly from little touches like SMAC's cinematic and story based quotes. I could feel serious effort and thought put into them. Where as in BE it's just lazy place holders anyone could think up. None of it is memorable or relevant.

Even BE's alien world feels dead. Sure there are aliens, but they're just... well animals. In SMAC there was a ton of back story and interaction with the secret behind the planet's hive mind, as each tech reveals a bigger part of the picture things fall into place. The mind worms and etc has much more presence and personality. Look at Miasma vs Xenofungus. Miasma just lacks impact in every way. Sure it's a bit annoying, but it rarely has any bearing on what I do in game. Most of the time can even completely ignore it until I happen to research the right tech and it's suddenly irrelevant for real. Heck with the faint animation you can hardly see it! In contrast Xenofungus was a real menace. It was noticeable and threatening. In the beginning it stifled your movement and you couldn't get a lick of resources out of it. Not only that, it spreads! Moving through it was a real threat as you could come across worms or other deadly beasts. The unique psi battle meant that you couldn't just power through once you have stronger tech. But with hard work and dedication, it's possible that Xenofungus becomes one of the most efficient tiles in game. The thing is do you want to go that route, or just build boreholes everywhere? There were a ton of cool terraforming projects and neat things you could do. Formers could be used to make energy parks or set aside land for massive crawler farms.

When you pollute the planet retaliates and reacts to you too. The hive mind contacts your leader and destroys the offending improvement, or global warming causes a shift in sea levels and drowns your coastal cities. Heck there was one game where I used a bunch of Planet Buster Nukes just for kicks, and before long I was desperately building Sea Domes so my bases wouldn't be drowned. Once that threat was over, the planet sent hordes of Flying Locust of death at me, threatening to wipe me off the map for screwing up the planet! On the flip side as Gaians with a high enough Planet level, you can easily capture and domesticate the creatures to use to your own advantage. Planet controlled mind worms wouldn't attack your own native troops either, since they are technically part of the same hive network. There's none of that interaction with the aliens in CivBE. You either wipe them out, or leave them neutral, or turn them blue so they won't attack. They don't respond to pollution or terraforming, you can't domesticate them etc. you don't make contact with the alien hivemind.

There's no feeling of making due on a hostile world either. In SMAC you had things like resource caps that prevented you from reaching your full potential until you got certain techs. Little thing like that made SMAC feel like you really were a struggling colony that eventually flourishes in the new world.

The lack of landmarks is another disappointment. Civ V had them, and even SMAC had interesting landmarks of note that spiced up the gameplay a bit.

Resource Pods were dumbed down a lot too. In SMAC all manner of things could come out of a pod. Heck sometimes pods that landed in Xenofungus would be infected with aliens, causing a huge crisis if you got greedy and opened it. Or if you can capture the aliens it would be an instant army. If you got lucky you could find a Rare Battle Ogre etc. It was always a fun surprise. In BE you get energy or science or production.

Anyway I'm not totally dissatisfied with Civ:BE. My point is that I was expecting Alpha Centauri levels of immersion and lore... and what I got fell waaaaayyy short. Civ:BE is more or less just a re skinned Civ:V with a few twists. I liked Civ V after all, so a little more Civ V doesn't hurt. SMAC was a Civ II clone as well, but it added so much more to the game by it's story, lore, atmosphere, etc. Both games coulda used more balance game play wise though. Trade Routes are the new Supply Crawlers hahaha.

Yes, I think we need a mod to up the lore and gameplay to Alpha Centauri levels.

I also loved Alpha Centauri and I played it to death as well. Its sad that CivBE didn't build on what Alpha Centauri had but rather delivered a blander and rather uninspired version. Hopefully the community modders can add the substance and immersion we are all craving. Heck, I will cast my vote here and now for an Alpha Centauri Total Conversion Mod!

An excellent summary Unlimited. I too love Alpha and its a shame BE doesn't live up to its immersive story telling and gameplay.

Beyond Earth just seems like Civ 5 in space, which really isn't a problem for me because I liked Civ 5.

expectation is a big let down.... this is not a sequel to alpha centauri, as much as us players would love to get a alpha centauri 2.

yes the story line compared to AC is lacking.

expectation is a big let down.... this is not a sequel to alpha centauri, as much as us players would love to get a alpha centauri 2.

yes the story line compared to AC is lacking.

I honestly don't think a sequel to AC would work, it would be like making a sequel to Citizen Kane.

Brian Reynolds was Alpha Centauri and without him it was not to be.

I can't claim I was duped, the pre-release gameplay videos showed the limited scope of BE, ideas wise.

"harmony, purity, supremacy" and other concepts that were thrown around seemed shallow even back then. Its impossible to expect fake game dilemmas thought up in three meetings to trump the 20th century ideologies driving the SMAC factions.

I sometimes wonder about the levels of education among game designers. They so often try to reinvent the wheel where they could just use the wealth of ideas that already exist (and that no one has used for games).

I started playing SMAC as a kid, but now, as a student of political sciences I can only admire its use of ideology (for a computer game). Reynolds realized that these things are all there for the taking and that its infinitely more clever to "stand on the shoulders of giants" than to try building up your own universe from scratch. Drawing up a hypothetical society of the future requires that you have at least a basic awareness of the ideas driving current society... not pulling it out of your ass like a space opera novelist.

I wish more game designers though like him and made an effort to include some real world though into their games.

This is why Shadow of the Colossus's aesthetics for the PS 2 succeeded (because the lead designer is a formally educated artist with a clear vision). This is why Homeworld's visual design is unmatched (because they borrowed from an established artist) and its story is emotional and heartfelt (because its basic, straight out of the bible). And that's how Planescape Torment outright crushed the standard epic fantasy fare other RPG's offer, merely by taking things an intellectual step further.

I wish more game designers though like him and made an effort to include some real world though into their games.

Will Miller was in the same graduating class as me in college. In fact my girlfriend for several years there dated him right before she dated me. I literally lolled when I heard he was the lead designer for Beyond Earth.

I think investing heavily into the lore/narrative side of the game can be a big dilemma for the designers. This is definitely something that requires a lot of resources and the pay off is not always huge - sure, people remember SMAC wonder movies to this day, but during gameplay we used to skip those after 1-2 playthroughs so from that perspective dedicating a lot of time and money to develop them may have seen like a waste.

I think investing heavily into the lore/narrative side of the game can be a big dilemma for the designers. This is definitely something that requires a lot of resources and the pay off is not always huge - sure, people remember SMAC wonder movies to this day, but during gameplay we used to skip those after 1-2 playthroughs so from that perspective dedicating a lot of time and money to develop them may have seen like a waste.

I think that has more to do with the nature of the game industry. 15-20 years ago it was somewhat of an obscure niche market where most people's experience with games was playing space invaders or mario a couple of times. Now everyone has a stupid opinion and an xbox and its all about money and industry and developers have to spend more time making a marketable game rather than something that is a labor of love.

Take the Call of Duty franchise. It used to be about fighting the battle of Stalingrad and blowing up V2s. Now it's about Kevin Spacey and unlockable achievements.

Wow. Such negativity... Personally I just think it's a beautiful game. :)

And no one said BE was the sequel to AC. You just made that up in your head. What they did say is that BE was obviously inspired by AC.

SMAC was a masterpiece.

This is yet another AAA game that has no soul. Simply a generic game with alot of marketing big budget. You can milk people with soulless game if it's an FPS because people who play FPS are enjoying the mostly braindead experience. People who play strategy game (esp. turn based) since the dawn of time want a deep thinking experience.

the weird thing is, when i first played SMAC i was very young and the story bit went over my head completely. Going back i rediscovered all the depth and complexity.

With BE, they force the 'story' in your face with quests so they can 'tell a story' and all that BS.

sad

I've just read Brian Reynolds' Wikipedia page. He went from Firaxis to BigHugeGames to Zynga (wut) to SecretNewCo (a mobile games company).

I'm sad now.

And no one said BE was the sequel to AC. You just made that up in your head. What they did say is that BE was obviously inspired by AC.

Yep, many comments we get here are terrible. They are most of the time extremly one-sided and blown out of proportion. And there is that board rule that says we may not call a troll a troll. Some threads/comments are obviously of trollish nature.

Moderator Action: If you think a post is trollish, then please report it. Engaging it is trolling and feeds the troll.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Will Miller was in the same graduating class as me in college. In fact my girlfriend for several years there dated him right before she dated me. I literally lolled when I heard he was the lead designer for Beyond Earth.

So you were taking Will Miller sloppy second?

sorry mate that you had to go through that.

No sane person would think BE is the sequel of AC. It's just the, well, spiritual successor because it was both spin-off of the same series with the same theme by the same company with the same person's name on the title. Hard not to expect this to happen.

,and personally, after couple of CivBE games, I found CiV BNW suddenly became much more enjoyable than before I played BE, Just my opinion. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom