[Beyond the Sword] History In The Making

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modpacks' started by Grave, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Grave

Grave 1 Goat = 400 Horses

Well, judging by your screenshot, something is definately wrong, because I changed the Main Menu so that it shows Earth, not the Apostolic Palace.

Also, I did not instruct to unzip the ZIP file into BTS/Mods/History In The Making. I said to unzip it directly into your MODS folder. Take a look at your History in the Making folder. If there is another History in the Making sub-directory, that's where you made your mistake.

Also, it only takes about a minute for my mod to load up... do you have a lower end computer? That may be the issue for it taking 5 mintues to load.

So, if it looks like this:

MODS/History in the Making/History in the Making <---- wrong.

If so, you need to make it look like this:

MODS/History in the Making.

Here is the Install Instructions from the Readme:

Spoiler :

4. Installation Instructions

So easy a Caveman can do it. Just unzip the zip file into either one of your MODS folders. This also includes patch releases.

So it should look like this:

My Documents/My Games/Beyond the Sword/Mods/HISTORY IN THE MAKING

Or

C:/Program Files/Civilization IV/Beyond the Sword/Mods/HISTORY IN THE MAKING

That&#8217;s all there is to it!

When you unzip the ZIP file, it creates the HISTORY IN THE MAKING directory for you... no need to create a History in the Making folder, then unzip into that folder, which I suspect is what you did, based off your screenshot and the description of the errors you're getting.

Make sense?

I don't know what to say about that one, man. Players using default English settings are having no problems. There was a player from France having the same issues you were having, and he had a French version of Civ4. So maybe the other-than-English versions aren't working correctly.

The only time I've ran into problem with barbarians laying to waste whole Civilizations was when I had "Raging Barbarians" set... and they were raging, believe me. ;)

The barbarians acquire swordsman whenever a civilization reaches the Classical era, then the swordsman become the default barbarian unit. It really sucks when you're still in the Ancient era, behind the Tech power curve and have to fend off Swordsman barbarians.

I may be able to do something about this... let me look into it.

2. liversnatch

liversnatch Chieftain

THANKS!!! That did the trick... yes, my computer and I are both old, low-end models... :sleep: Can't wait to try out the mod! I have the next three days off work, and a heavily loaded cooler full of beer... :lol:

3. Bahmo

Bahmo King

I've given you specifics. I dled the patch, and now, there's a PrivatMaps folder in my HiTM folder. When I load the mod, the map is loadable from both Play-a-scenario and Custom-Scenario. When those asre clicked, all of the leaders and other choices are visible, but once you start, it always crashes when the progress bar says, "loading map." So what could be the problem with the map?

4. Roamty

Roamty BTS

You might think I'am a pest but I went back and look over the CvReligionScreen again and It works but I did not like the look of it. This shows what can be change to add in a item or two, now I was playing with the lines one at a time to see what I can change to make it look better and by luck I just started with self.DX_RELIGION and started the game to see what change and the screen came up looking dam good so here is what I think are much better screens for RELIGION and CORPORATION with only one line change.

CvReligionScreen
    self.DX_RELIGION = 88#98 Roamty only one line needs to be change to show 8 Religions
    this is still yours CvReligionScreen with only one line change by me I just learned this myself

CvCorporationScreen
    self.DX_CORPORATION = 102#116 Roamty only one line needs to be change to show 8 Corporations

5. Terrance888

Terrance888 Discord Reigns

It is the annoyance, like Iraq. and not just rifles put also motars and stingers. they represent a MILITA or a HIGHY TRAINED DIVISION to spread out and cause collateral damage. fortify in buildings and take a pot shoot at the general and sudenly all te housed rocks with stingers and rifles (if a division si 1k or so) or a street to street battle (division is 100-250 or so) as the conquer conquers he the snipers, can stay in the city until only wounded are left, and strike....

6. Dreamnfox

Dreamnfox Chieftain

i have downloaded the mod a patch but when i try to load the mod it seems like nothing is changed
    please help
    this looks like a great mod

7. federik1982

federik1982 Chieftain

yahoooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! it's done
    after re-installing all in eglish it works!!!!
    Thanks all for the help :)

8. Grave

Cool! I'm glad it worked out for you. It's always those small details that nip you in the butt.

And I play Civ4 the same way you do... with a mini-fridge full of ice-cold beer, right next to my computer desk! :goodjob:

By specifics I meant was there a particular Civ you kept using and getting the CTD with?

Honestly, I don't know why it's not working for you. It should. It works for me, and so far it seems to be working for other people as well.

I wouldn't sweat it too much. The next patch will fix some minor clean-up issues I forgot to address with the Earth map.

No no, you're not a pest at all, Roamty! :goodjob:

I sincerely appreciate all the little fixes you offer. Every bit helps! :king:

No offense... but I have no idea what you just typed. :crazyeye:

Did you read the Change log? It's nothing drastic, just some little typo's and a few sloppy errors I neglected to fix that other dedicated players identified while playing the mod. :)

Glad you got it working! :goodjob:

I'm sorry you have to use it in your non-native language. It's just English is the only language I know, and if I were to do other language translations it would take forever and I'd never get anything accomplished.

9. James009

James009 Warlord

I don't know what you guys are thinking but perhaps I wasn't clear in my last thread. <-- Just joking, wanted a good ketchy into sentence to scare little children. Just joking!

This is an incredible mod! I just don't get the feeling that we truely appreciate all the time and work that has gone into making this mod. I realized it after reviewing some of the past posts. We usually thank you but then follow it with a barrage of comments about this and that, tons of requests, and sometimes even demands. I actually believe that we (the community) owe you (mod creators) an apology for this behavior. Thanks for all the work you put into this, keep up the good work.

Anyways, this mod is one of the most balanced mods but also has a lot of added interesting features which set it above and beyond other mods. You've got the bombardment mod, which is key to any good mod now days, unit statistics, influence for combat, and a number of other additions that all add to the immersion. However, they are not just added as you once said, "throwing something in there just to throw something in there isn't what I do." I think thats an excellent policy. I used to love the mods which would have dozens of civics (to some extent I still do) but when nothing made them unique and different I did begin to question them. You've got it pretty balanced and not extreme, quality over quantity.

I especially enjoy the diversity in the cultures between the individual countries. India looks different then China which looks different from Japan which looks different from Korea, no detail was misrepresented!

Anyways, I just wanted to say thanks. :)

10. bloodhawk

bloodhawk Anything but Chieftain

The 'Free Upgrades' promotion does what its supposed to do (when added via worldbuilder), but none of the units built in a city with an armory actually receive the promotion.

EDIT: In response to the above post, I realize I haven't thanked you for making this excellent mod. So, thank you. There, James009, art thou happy now?

11. Grave

It's OK man, it goes with the territory. :)

Since I did this whole mod by myself, you have no idea how many manhours I put into it! Literally hundreds. I worked several months on the Warlords version. THEN I worked on it almost every single day since the BtS release to convert everything over, redesigning units and tech tree from scratch, removing un-needed/broken mods... all the way until the day I released it. My wife was ready to kill me. :trouble:

Well, thanks man... I really appreciate the comments! :goodjob: I'm glad you like my ideas for Civ4... at least I'm not the only one who thinks they make sense! ;)

Yeah, I realized that last night when I built an Armory. I need to figure out a way to fix that. Adding the UnitCombats to the Promotion and still having it exclusive to the Armory won't work. It screws up the Civilopedia. I'll find a way around it for the next patch, though. I have an idea.

Thanks for this heads up, though! :goodjob:

12. bloodhawk

Comeon! I can't be the only one who immediately thought up several dozen bad jokes upon reading that, can I?

On a slightly more serious note, I now believe in good karma. Immediately after I finally thanked Grave, I discovered Iron Working, and discovered TWO sources of iron within by capital's radius, which already had copper, horses, and corn. So, everyone, if you want a ridiculously high production capital, say thank you :)

13. Grave

That's a little something I added to the SDK. :cool: J/K.

Well, I've been working on Patch v0.03. If you see Post #2, you'll see that I'm planning on releasing it this weekend... hopefully if all goes well.

In the mean time, here's a little teaser screen shot of what to expect... notice anything different with the City Screen? :cool:

Attached Files:

14. bloodhawk

TXT_KEY_RELIGION_ZORASTRIANISM_ADJECTIVE isn't defined. It looks kinda strange when religious leaders are having visions of uniting the TXT_KEY_RELIGION_ZORASTRIANISM_ADJECTIVE faithful :).

15. Grave

Cool... thanks. I'll put that in the next patch. :)

16. darkedone02

darkedone02 The Suggestor

Before you release the next patch, can you organize the custom units and put them next to the right stack, like siege tower go right next to catapult, and armsmen goes right next to maceman or swordsman. This helps me find the units that I needed without having the hassle to scroll down the unsorted and finding it.

17. Grave

I thought about doing that, but it ends up being a major nightmare when you look at the files in a file comparer. It's easier just to put all the new units at the bottom of the XML. That goes for pretty much any XML file.

I did try and somewhat organize them at the bottom of CvUnitInfos.xml, but that's about as good as it's going to get.

18. Patrekeosully88

Patrekeosully88 Chieftain

Hey Grave,
    Another bug i found is that the AI can re-vote on proposals that have already been passed but the U.N.

Also how about there is an option to revoke UN resolutions or kick out current leaders of countries... but then again what would be the benefit of that? I totally understand if u don't think u could program that but i'm just givin seggestions.:)

19. PLTORR

PLTORR Chieftain

How do I play the GraveEarth map?

20. mnlg

mnlg Chieftain

A couple graphics glitches (v0.02):

the Magi are slightly bigger than all the other units (especially when compared to other missionaries).

Solomon's small icon in the Diplomacy screen isn't surrounded by the black border and background.