Beyond the Sword menu music lyrics

TheNoseKnows

Chieftain
Does anyone have the full lyrics, or even just the title, of the BtS menu music? I think some of it is sung in English, but it's not very clear.

After some searching, I found out that the main singer of the BtS menu music is Jillian Aversia: https://soundcloud.com/jillian-aversa/sets/civilization-series

However, that's basically all I was able to find. If someone could provide additional information, I would greatly appreciate it!

The menu theme is based off Walt Whitman's A Passage to India and Alfred Noyes' Prayer in a Time of War:

O my brave soul!
O farther, farther sail!
O daring joy!
Are they not all the seas of God?
Thou, whose deep ways are in the sea,
My brave soul,
To-night a world that turned from Thee
Is waiting -- at Thy Throne.
The towering Babels raised
Where scoffing sophists brawl,
The little Antichrists we praised --
The night is on them all.

Shameless stolen from the comment section of this video:

So I recently learned, after playing this game for, what, twelve years? That the menu theme actually has lyrics!
The menu theme is based off Walt Whitman's A Passage to India and Alfred Noyes' Prayer in a Time of War:

O my brave soul!
O farther, farther sail!
O daring joy!
Are they not all the seas of God?
Thou, whose deep ways are in the sea,
My brave soul,
To-night a world that turned from Thee
Is waiting -- at Thy Throne.
The towering Babels raised
Where scoffing sophists brawl,
The little Antichrists we praised --
The night is on them all.

Shameless stolen from the comment section of this video:
This is only partially correct, but I cannot find anything more than this, anywhere.

Referring to this video:
The lyrics above start at 0:32, and I am unsure if, before 0:32, there are merely sounds or actual lyrics that I cannot make out.
One minor correction; it's clearly 'oh farther sail', not 'oh farther farther sail'.
The lyrics are very easy to follow, and 'is waiting at thy throne' ends at 1:16.
Then, on 1:16, 'the tower of Babel's raised' starts, and here it becomes harder for me to understand what is sung.
The next sentence, starting at 1:20 and ending at 1:24, is probably 'where the scoffing sophists brawl' (the lyrics above lack the 'the').
I write 'probably', because, if you listen from 3:15 (where 'the tower of Babel's raised' starts again), I can hear 'scoffing', but in this first part, it sounds more like 'smurring' or 'smurry' (I know these are not English words).
On 1:29 you can clearly hear 'Antichrist', but it sounds like more than merely 'the little' is said before it (also, the woman and the man are probably singing different things, but maybe both are singing lyrics, not just sounds). In particular, I think I hear something like 'we shall live ...'? Refer also to 3:28/3:29.
Then on 1:29/1:30 (and also 3:30) you hear 'we praised', and again something like 'we will live in ???', where during the '???' maybe the lyric of 'the tower of Babel is raised' is repeated, and then again 'we ???', which I think is not 'we praised' because it clearly starts with an 's' ('we saved'? 'We sinned'? The last one makes the most sense, no? It's at 1:40).
From 1:40 to 1:44 (and 3:38 to 3:42), you hear the man sing 'the night is on us all' (not 'them'), and then the woman repeats this twice.
Then, on 1:50, a large piece of text starts that I have found no lyrics for, and that I cannot make it.
Maybe, at 1:55, the man sings 'voyage'? And then... 'Hunger'? The sole word I heard before realising there were lyrics at all. Could also be 'anger' though.
A lot of words that I cannot make out, at any rate, and then at 2:31, 'oh my brave soul' starts again.

Does anyone know more? I am really curious now. :p

Last edited:
Top Bottom