Beyond the Sword ruined Civilization

As long as this old thread is alive anyway...

Espionage (esp. AI's randomly blowing up your improvements, which is not only annoying but quite unrealistic "KGB is destroying farms, plantations and towns all over USA"!) is the only addition I dislike.

Maybe it is unrealistic to expect peace and friendship from other civs. The spy attacks themselves would be quite realistic with an expectation of war. So this could be interpreted both ways. Yeah, it's annoying, but it wouldn't be the first time a civ is out to get you in this game.

I usually don't get blown-up farms from vastly inferior neighbours or from civs that really want to be friends. I don't know if it's really a factor in the AI logic, just personal experience. Could well be due to AI shifting focus with available options, i.e. you get spies blowing up your stuff even from friends if there is not much else the AI could do... but that probably means war anyway.

Maybe it is unrealistic to expect peace and friendship from other civs.

I never expect peace from other civs (well, unless my relation level with the leader has NoWarProb at 100 and the leader was not in WHEOOHRN when he reached that relation level with me) but I don't think that randomly blowing up your improvements is the best way to stimulate pre-war tensions.

Yeah, it's annoying, but it wouldn't be the first time a civ is out to get you in this game.

The thing is, randomly blowing up your improvements adds nothing to the game beyond tedious worker micromanagement, a la Civ3 pollution. AI's should be out to outplay you, not to annoy you by making you do tedious micro. They'd perform much better against me if they'd spend all the commerce they devoted to espionage to blow up the improvements to stealing techs from me or to tech themselves.

spies are kind of boring imo but Corporations are great!

Tho mining Inc may be a little too good especially for a Warmonger like myself.

Top Bottom