Beyond The Sword-Soundtrack Questions

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Gatsby, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Gatsby

Gatsby King

Does anyone know what sort of new music will be included in BTS? The music in Civ4 Vanilla was easily the best of any Civ-type game that I can think of, and Warlords had some gems too. Can we expect more contemporary and modern music in BTS?

2. Virulent

Virulent King

We're not sure exactly how the extended epic game is going to work. If they add an extra era past modern I can see them giving it it's own soundtrack.

3. Instant_Cereal

Instant_Cereal Warlord

Some new and different schtuff for the other eras would be great, too. As much as I love it, the music in the medieval era occasionally puts me to sleep and I think the modern era could use some more tracks that have a little more 'oomph', like Apocalypse from Civ2.

Well, either that or they don't add anything at all lol. But I'll be fine if they don't, just keep adding my own schtuff. Now, if only I can find a way to rip tracks from Civ2 and get them into mp3 format...

4. Virulent

Virulent King

The Civ II sound track was in Redbook audio format IIRC. You could just use something like media player to rip the tracks and convert them into mp3s.

5. Pangur Bán

Pangur Bán Deconstructed

Civ4 has cool music. I love the way you hear native music when you zoom in on a city. Call to Power II actually had wonderful music, so wonderful that I put it into later games.

6. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Silly furry

I CAN'T STAND CIV4 MODERN ERA MUSIC! It's like of some apocalyptic death cult! I sincerely hope they will fix this in BtS and replace it with something more rousing or have a modern feel to it, maybe similar to those from Civ3.

7. Gatsby

Gatsby King

How did you extract the CTP2 music files? I thought that game had good music too (second only to Civ4 probably) but I could never find the songs on P2P.

As for Civ4's modern music...I really like it. It's classy, sophisticated, and thoughtful and I think it really captures the whole zeitgeist of the Modern Era (esp. the 20th Century from 1914 onwards). John Adams (who did all the modern Civ4 music as far as I know) is a very talented composer. It's certainly better than having Britney Spears' "Hit me baby one more time" for example.

I would like to see some more contemporary and popular music in the modern age though. Some electronic and space-ambient post modern pieces would be nice (esp. for the future scenarios). Also, I liked how Rhye's RFC mod for Civ4 included Duran Duran's "Planet Earth"-it would be cool to hear something like that in there, if possible.

8. CoolLizy

CoolLizy King

BTW *needs* some more music for the modern area. "Nixon in China" is all well and good, but most of the tracks tend to sound alike, and they all just kind of build with no resolution.

9. Onagan

Onagan The Dutch

10. ZB2

ZB2 New wave Ideology

As long as the menu isn't as crap as that baba yeti ****. then im perfectly fine with whatever music. :)

11. Goldfish4209

Goldfish4209 Chieftain

As long as they include some modern music that isn't atonal and doesn't make me wanna quit...

12. Virulent

Virulent King

I'm pretty sure you won't be happy with this piece of news (Myself on the other hand is quite happy):

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=217219

13. ggganz

ggganz a.k.a. The Scyphozoa

About Warlords having some good music, all the new stuff (classical era, the former classical music is played in the ancient era) is from civ3 and civ3 conquests. Also the music for the mod menus are there, but I took them out.

14. ZB2

ZB2 New wave Ideology

I wanted cry when i read that. If the Beyond the Sword music doesnt stir my soul then its getting a stiff taste from the delete button.

15. Holycannoli

Holycannoli Deity

I think the modern age is gonna get Britney Spears, NSync, Spice Girls, all 5 American Idols, and Shakira.

:thumbsup:

16. Lockesdonkey

Lockesdonkey Liberal Jihadist

I hope not! Imagine trying to play over that! To say nothing of the licensing fees...they'd have to make BTS cost two arms and a leg.

I think that jazz is a little more likely to make it in if they do popular music for the Modern Age.

I do have one gripe though: Where's the world music? C'mon! Music isn't the exclusive province of Europeans, you know...

17. Elras

Elras Chieftain

It'd be cool if the music reflected the civilisation you were playing...so
    Indian tunes when your the Indians, Oriental ditties when playing the
    Chinese, Koreans...etc

Although the research work involved might cause Mr Tin a stroke :)

Perhaps if Firaxis could make the track listing moddable? (or is it already?
    :)) this would allow the mod community to think up some creative playlists
    for us lesser mortals?

Personally music is music - instrumental, rock, hip hop, jazz, choral singing,
    it's all the same..if it's good I'll listen to it :)

Cheers
    Elras

18. Instant_Cereal

Instant_Cereal Warlord

No, that would drive me nuts. I couldn't sit down and listen to 4 straight hours of Bollywood crap. On the flip side, as much as I like the medieval music, it puts me to sleep. But some other cultural schtuff mixed in there wouldn't be bad.

19. Pangur Bán

Pangur Bán Deconstructed

It was simple, if I remember correctly; I believe there was a relatively obvious music folder after a full install. I'd need to go get the game and install it to be sure. I've still got all the files in my iTunes though. :)

20. Instant_Cereal

Instant_Cereal Warlord

No, it's not that simple from what I recall. I'm no computer newbie but I think there's a certain program required to extract them. I have Civ2 Gold, however, so I don't know if my case is different.