Beyond the sword the last expansion??

I agree with Verge, but like him, I'm just speculating. BTS is a pretty decent expansion, so it's not like we're lacking for much. I'm pretty new to Civ, so I'm not sure about Firaxis as a company, but we probably won't hear about Civ 5 (assuming there is one) for, what, another 2-3 years? Firaxis isn't Blizzard so I'm sure it won't be a decade long wait for another addition to the Civ series :p

Barring that there are not more Mods and Scenarios made, then BtS will probably be the last official Firaxis Expansion to the game. Then Firaxis is working on Civ Revolution for one of the console game boxes, and of course Civ V, which probably will only take about a year, year and a half. After all Civ IV has been out already for a couple of years - 2 1/4 years to be more precise.

Im thinking bigger corp means more corprate greed making faster sequal turnover for its breadwinners a greater possablity.

I agree with Verge, but like him, I'm just speculating. BTS is a pretty decent expansion, so it's not like we're lacking for much. I'm pretty new to Civ, so I'm not sure about Firaxis as a company, but we probably won't hear about Civ 5 (assuming there is one) for, what, another 2-3 years? Firaxis isn't Blizzard so I'm sure it won't be a decade long wait for another addition to the Civ series :p

I don't know why you all think Bts will be the last expansion. There have been zero press releases to that fact. As long as it is profitable to make expansions then they will make expansions. If bts didn't sell as well as expected then it will be the last expansion. If they think it is more profitable to make CIV5 then they will make CIV5. Its all about money in the game industry now. Blizzard has not been Blizzard for years, they were bought out by a larger company and then resently that larger company merged with another gaint. Firaxis remains Firaxis only in name as they were bought out by another mega company. Gaming is a multi billion dollar industry, its only about whats profitable. In the past the best games came from the little guys... these days are over.

Right. Basicly what I said except you don't realize the 2nd expansion taxed the systems on which it was designed to be played quite nearly enough.

Just the tech forums. AIt like Civ3 it was heacly patched and holey and could support anymore changes or add ons by the time in was done

They need to build new sturdier foundations. THats why we won't see even more stuff crammed on ontop of BtS using the same leaky foundation the original vannila was built on back in 05. Thats tight you heard me, Its over! :) Civ4 is now like all the other chapters before it. Fini! as far as its makers are concerned.

I think they would have announced it by now if there was. It would be quite hard for Firaxis to come up with an expansion after BtS qwhich added so much. Civ 5 is next and not for a while.

I don't know why you all think Bts will be the last expansion. There have been zero press releases to that fact. As long as it is profitable to make expansions then they will make expansions. If bts didn't sell as well as expected then it will be the last expansion. If they think it is more profitable to make CIV5 then they will make CIV5. Its all about money in the game industry now. Blizzard has not been Blizzard for years, they were bought out by a larger company and then resently that larger company merged with another gaint. Firaxis remains Firaxis only in name as they were bought out by another mega company. Gaming is a multi billion dollar industry, its only about whats profitable. In the past the best games came from the little guys... these days are over.

If they were planning another expeansion they would have announced it by now. If Firaxis adds much more to civ iv, it would be hard to follow up on a civ v. Though it isn't a good analogy, look at civ 3, 2 expansions ad they certainly did not add as much stuff there than they did in these two.

Civ V has already been anounced at Gamespot. It is still TBA though!

In wich direction do we have to think?
Firaxis will announce that all Civilization games has a build-in shut down mechanism, that activates after 1. february 2008, meaning we can never play Civ again!!

This is of course being done, so that when Firaxis announces Civ5 in 5 years, everyone will be drooling to get their Civ fix, and the sales will skyrocket! :crazyeye:

Well... I vote Civ5...

I think they would have announced it by now if there was. It would be quite hard for Firaxis to come up with an expansion after BtS qwhich added so much. Civ 5 is next and not for a while.

Eh? I've heard people say this before but all I know is that my personal mod has more top quaility content than the last expansion pack and I'm a one man team.

Eh? I've heard people say this before but all I know is that my personal mod has more top quaility content than the last expansion pack and I'm a one man team.

:hmm: Can we see the evidence that it's better quality? Like, pics?

I think BtS is the last expansion, mainly because Civ III had two expansions, and also, BtS had tons of stuff, and seems to have made the game much more complete.

A better way think of this issue is by simply putting your money where your mouth is. Given your knowledge of Firaxis, the game industry, and previous Civilization expansions from II and III, would you bet $20 that another expansion will come out?

Because personally, I would put $100 down in a heartbeat that BtS is the last Civilization 4 expansion. We're at the two expansion standard for the industry; there is a dearth of announcements from Firaxis regarding Civilization 4; the focus is on Civilization Revolution; and there are rumors aplenty of Civ 5. Short of hard evidence, it's as surefire of a bet as you can get.

Considering the past trend:

CivIII --------> 2001
CivIV --------> 2005
CivV --------> 2009?

I would say that is a good bet since Firaxis is working on Revolution at the moment. ;)

Top Bottom