1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Biden's 17 executive orders

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Angst, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Angst

Angst Rambling and inconsistent

Biden immediately made 17 executive orders upon being inoculated. I haven't read their original wordings, but there's a summary of them in the NYT here.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/20/us/biden-executive-orders.html

Any thoughts on this? It's mostly reversal of Trump's cronyism but I can't help but see that the Republicans will spin this for years.

Some of the orders are, imo, necessary now and don't have the time for congress; particularly making a serious effort combating the pandemic. A death is forever a death.

2. mitsho

mitsho Deity

It's telling that it took so long to open a thread on that and on what Biden does as President. But I'm glad you did. Interested in that as well.

But what is the problem exactly with the 17 executive orders? They're just proof that the whole style of governance is shifting, but that is not a new trend. Obama had to do more with executive orders since he was opposite a hostile congress, Trump did it out of laziness and impatience, and now Biden had to show that he really means it towards the progressive wing. There's also the fact that the clock is already ticking for him and he needs to get a lot of things done quickly.

Why would the Republicans be angry? They were just way less prepared 4 years ago. They would have done everything the same. Is it just that Republicans are better in election campaigning, while Democrats excel at governance?

3. Angst

I more raised the thread to hear you guys' input on this, rather than having a problem with the orders.

I'll lay out my position. I'm a big supporter of proper parliamentary procedure and while executive orders are a necessary function in how the US government is designed, they can also be a toxic element. That said, most of them are just reversals and responses to Trump's corruption and cruelty, immediately making the US internationally connected again, etc.

But they're executive orders, and their necessity comes from somewhere in how the federal government is structured. The US is still in a constitutional crisis and need serious reform. For now, I am ambivalent about the orders (although I do like the policy, that shouldn't influence democratic procedure). The necessity for them, particularly in regards to Covid, has to do with how the system is gridlocked and unable to properly respond to pressing issues. I want that necessity for executive orders removed, but executive orders still being a possibility.

It's not about whether it's right or wrong, but more about how the Republicans will respond to this in the public discourse. I can see this hurting Dems in future elections. Although Dem issues in public perception is usually the feeling that they didn't get anything done because of principles and compromise.

El_Machinae likes this.
  4. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

They are going to do that anyways. Might as well have them gripe over effective governance rather than tan suits and emails.

5. Angst

And Obama ordering a burger.

Thorvald of Lym and El_Machinae like this.
  6. mitsho

mitsho Deity

In other countries, these would have been cabinet decisions, but since those don't exist and Biden had had at least three months to think about what he wants to do, there's no reason that he couldn't invoke them right after getting into office.

Also, what would the proper channels be? Would they require his nominations to be sworn in first? He (and America) doesn't have the time for that. So let's look at the 17 orders. Can you identify one that wasn't urgent? Some set countdown clocks, some send a sign towards other countries (also by their absence, as none was includes on Iran), some deal with covid, and some just clean up unnecessary stuff (god - why did I have to look up that 1776 commission). I guess those weren't urgent, but I understand Biden doesn't want to tarnish his name by letting them continue. So, which one of the 17 bothers you procedurally?

Thorvald of Lym and Angst like this.
  7. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Night Elven Ghost Agent

New Suramar City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    Looking at his list, I’m not a big fan of reimplementing critical race theory training into our government and pulling the plug on the 1776 Commission.

TheMeInTeam likes this.
  8. Angst

It's not any of the particular policies that bother me. At all. I also think I support the executive orders given here. But it's tellingly bad for the federal government that executive orders are necessary here. Executive orders en masse is a toxic way to conduct policy on a structural level. It goes past congress and is fickle as it's easily reversible. These two elements don't balance each other out.

I'm thinking long term here. And I know that Trump set the precedent. The fact that he did is why it's alarming.

mitsho likes this.
  9. Angst

1776 Commission was trash. :)

HEF, Thorvald of Lym, Lexicus and 6 others like this.
  10. IglooDude

IglooDude Enforcing Rule 34 Retired Moderator Supporter

First tell me how many of the 17 executive orders are simply reversing/negating Trump EOs, please.

Angst likes this.
  11. Angst

From what I can tell, 9 are in direct response to Trump policies, the Keystone pipeline order reversing about 100 points that Trump did. How many of those are executive orders? IDK. It's been hard keeping track of stuff. But at least Paris Climate Accord, WHO, Muslim ban, Keystone should be executive orders by Trump reversed, or at least the equivalent of it. That's by personal recollection of what was Trump executive orders or equivalent decisions. I might be missing something.

Thorvald of Lym likes this.
  12. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

At least you're dropping the pretense now.

aelf, HEF, Thorvald of Lym and 3 others like this.
  13. mitsho

mitsho Deity

What, why is that my job? I asked Angst something and then you ask me - that's just confusing.:crazyeye:;)

Most of them are, but there are some like the no-discrimination rule or the mask mandate on federal property is genuine new policy.

On that note, I just read that they already changed a lot on the white house website, like introducing more gender options in the communication forms. It's small stuff like that that a) matters and b) drives right-wing commentators nuts. So, job well done already.

Thorvald of Lym and AmazonQueen like this.
  14. Angst

Also, the two orders on masks and covid response were legitimate even if we aren't dealing with reversals of Trump stuff. It's stuff like that executive orders are for.

15. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

17 executive orders on day 1 is obviously Biden's signal to the QAnon crowd that he is one of them.

16. GenMarshall

I would figure they’d hate his guts and that he was not part of the plan.

17. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

Would you prefer it if we went back to the previous white supremacist advocacy from trumps government

Scratch an anti sjw and a right winger bleeds...

Thorvald of Lym likes this.
  18. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Trump's WHO action was a 1 year notice. All Biden has to do is...not leave the WHO. Not even an executive order.

I'd like to see us reduce emissions, but the Paris Climate Accord isn't worth whatever toilet paper it's written on. There's no penalty (in practice) for simply signing it and then making no effort to comply whatsoever. UN in general is pretty awful.

Not sure that's true in the strict sense. Compared to limiting contact and washing hands etc the evidence backing regular masks is...questionable. Which makes a federal mandate of it also legally questionable.

19. GenMarshall

I’d prefer it that there wasn’t any white man bad rhetoric being toss about in these training programs.

20. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

That's the thing with these executive orders, they are easy to get rid of by the next president. If you really want something to stick, you have to pass it as a law, or whatever, like Obama did with Obamacare. Not even Trump could get rid of that thing it seems.

I'm surprised anyone is against the removal of that 1776 whatever it was. I read through some of that and it seemed like fascist nonsense that's better suited as a joke in a video game